Print Thread
Hop To
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Anyone doing any custom work to their 220f?
Mine shoots very well, and functions perfectly. I polished up the bolt lugs which smoothed out the action a ton.

Anyone know if McMillan is making a stock for them yet? I know they make one for the 210f.

Anyone done any lightening to the bolt? I'm considering having the big bolt knob/handle hollowed and the bolt itself spiral fluted. I'd like to find ways to cut weight, since the EGW 1pc base added more than a few ounces.
I'm thinking of going to a FXII 4x to save more weight over a 3x9.
For me, it is "carry a lot, shoot a little" during our whitetail season. Heck, the way this thing shoots Barnes Tipped I may never carry a centerfire rifle around here again!

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They love them old 3" Barnes expanders by Federal for sure. Mine puts them under 3/4" at a hundred. Unreal slug gun. I'm not touching mine. LOL.

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
No doubt!
Nothin' like a .50 cal Barnes at 1825fps! (per my chrono)

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hadn't a lot of time to wring mine out before OH season. I had so/so accuracy had a misfire with a nice 11 pt a few weeks back. This was the second incident with a different brand of ammo. I wrote on it here....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Any_shotgun_slug_hunters_ne#Post4664592

I look foward to getting it back from Savage and playing with it. I am going to see what I can do to improve the flex in the stock and glass bed it.

btw... the 3 inch tipped Barnes only chronied at 1725 at 15 ft with my Pro-Chrono.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope they get you squared away. Sounds like you got a lemon, and that sucks.

I was a little suprised at the velocities I got. Even the 3" Remington AccuTips broke 1800fps.

All in all, mine has made me a 20ga believer.

IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The guy from Savage was nice and helpful; and they have a good track record from what I've seen. Their rifles are ugly as sin itself, but they are know for being good shooters. The 220 F seemed to have filled a niche and I'm confident the situation will be resolved.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mine also missfired, but only with Federal shells. The first person I talked to about it said "Well, we recomend you shoot Remington shells..." Of course that wasn't what I wanted to hear. Second call I got a tech and he told me they were having some problems with the firing pin spring tension. I sent it back to them and it came back fine (shipped on their dime). I really like the gun, it shoots great, no problems with any shells. It is not beauty its ownself, but a paint job helped mine. I shot a buck and a doe in Illinois this year with it, it did just fine. Good luck with yours. By the way, Savage addressed the spring issue and extended the mag port to help with ejection. I helped a friend set his newer one up and there was no ejection problems at all with his.

Golden............
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shot some Rem 2 3/4" Accu-Tips yesterday, and all fired but were not accurate. I'll go back to the Federal 3" if I can find any. Very light recoil with the Accu-Tips BTW. Bang, then plop, could here the bullet hit the sand at 100 yds, LOL. Mine mis-fires now and then as well.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mine mis-fired with the Hornady and Fed ammo. I tried multiple times to fire the same Hornady round to no avail....it will be my 'control' round for testing when I get the gun back. Here is a pic of the deer with the first misfire and the buck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wow, Great buck. Send it back, Savage will replace the spring, that's the problem.

Golden............
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sorry, if I'd have read more carefully, I'd see you have sent it back. DOH!

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just had my first misfire. It was with the Barnes Expander (which flew like crap out of my 220). It loves the Accu-tips , hole through hole through hole @ 100 yards. The Barnes Tipped Expander was about a 2.5" group @ 100 yards.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
We haven't had any reported issues of the 20+ 220's we've sold.They need to make one in LH though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had no problems last year, I have about 100 rounds through it before it happened.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mis-fires with mine 3 total(220F).Shotgunworld.com in the slug shooter forum covers the numerous misfires of the savage 220f.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 12/15/10.
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Never a problem with mine.
Easy bolt disassembly and frequent cleaning has kept mine going just fine.

I'm quite sure Savage can and will handle any problem gun.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WTM45
Never a problem with mine.
Easy bolt disassembly and frequent cleaning has kept mine going just fine.

I'm quite sure Savage can and will handle any problem gun.

I also keep mine cleaned.It is my understanding that there is a firing pin problem on the 220F that continues to plague the 220F.coobie

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
It is really quite simple.
If it is not working to satisfaction, send it back for inspection and repair/refit. Savage has proven their warranty work.
It can happen with any tool. Any manufacturer. Any time.

What went on in the other forum is an embarrassment.

I do hope your gunsmith and Savage can get you back in the field and on the range quickly and to your satisfaction. I feel confident they can.

B
B
Very intersted in this slug gun... Seems like lot of folks were having trouble with empty shells ejecting properly. Any tips on how to avoid this would be appreciated:

Which bases/rings/scope work best?
Anything to do with the bolt to make it work easier?

Thanks.

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by blind_squirrel
Very intersted in this slug gun... Seems like lot of folks were having trouble with empty shells ejecting properly. Any tips on how to avoid this would be appreciated:

Which bases/rings/scope work best?
Anything to do with the bolt to make it work easier?

Thanks.

EGW one piece base and Warne rings and one can use whatever scope they wish.
Stay with the medium height for clearance.
Polish the lugs and the raceways. The bolt works itself smoother and smoother over time. Work the bolt with authority.
No problems at all here with mine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.