24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I am new to the forum. So howdy all. I have just bought a Rem 700 sendero 300 RUM.I have the jewell trigger in it set to 14 oz pull. I have a 8.25 x 25 x 50 luppie for glass and have a 3x booster if needed. I am looking for factory loaded ammo to shoot as I know zip about reloading and dont want to start. I have two loads that look good to me. Premier� Scirocco� Bonded - Power Level III 150 gr. and NoslerCustom Ammunition 300 RUM 150 AB what would you suggestions would be for the best long range load?thanks for any help

Last edited by 2xlstones; 01/22/11.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Some of us prefer to hunt with bullets other than the one that seems to give the 7mm RM superpowers. mtmuley

Dumb people,do dumb things and routinely.

Only gets better,when they feel compelled to "brag" about same............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2xlstones
I am new to the forum. So howdy all. I have just bought a Rem 700 sendero 300 RUM.I have the jewell trigger in it set to 14 oz pull. I have a 8.25 x 25 x 50 luppie for glass and have a 3x booster if needed. I am looking for factory loaded ammo to shoot as I know zip about reloading and dont want to start. I have two loads that look good to me. Premier� Scirocco� Bonded - Power Level III 150 gr. and NoslerCustom Ammunition 300 RUM 150 AB what would you suggestions would be for the best long range load?thanks for any help

With the booster,it won't matter what you shoot. They are really something!

Power Level 4 is where it's at,if not using the booster.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
3x booster for the scope! but the rem ammo better?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,it really don't get better than the booster,but I hope you'll try..............

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tough crowd

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some folks shoot and others should certainly start.................(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
correct me if i am wrong here Mr. Burns, but isnt the 180 as heavy as it gets in 7mm?

you could easily outperform the 7mm with a 200 grain bullet, or even a 210, or 220, or 240 if you were so inclined.

a good muzzle brake will help tremendously with recoil, and there is no excuse for not having one if you intend to shoot long range a lot.

those who said they wont have one on a hunting rifle dont seem to realize where they are posting. this is the Long Range forum. if you are going to hunt long range, you need time to set up a shot, and if you have time for that, you have time to slip in some ear plugs.

no excuses made.

Muzzle breaks cause more problems than they fix, in my opinion.

Elk die from bullets much smaller than 180grs and adding bullet weight does not add to real killing power.

Long Range game dies from shot placement and skipping the break and keeping recoil as low as possible gets the hits under real hunting conditions.

The 7mm with the VLD bullet (BC over .600) is the biggest bullet I like. The 300 RUM with any of the bullets listed will not outperform the 7mm with the best bullets in real killing power out to any range I will shoot.

I will not use a setup that requires ear plugs because I would feel like an ass if I lost a chance at 150yds because I needed to put in plugs before the shot.

All this is coming from a guy who dropped back down to the 264 Win Mag/140gr VLD/3250fps this year and shot better on game than ever before

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/22/11.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Hey good luck going on your way through life with a attitude like yours. Good Luck

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JohnBurns,

This is the long range hunting forum. I have killed past 200 yards with my Freedom Arms .454 and you are talking about 150 yards with a rifle. You are in the wrong forum.

By the way, my .454 has a KEEPER brake. I use Action Ears so I can hear game and protect my hearing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
JohnBurns,

This is the long range hunting forum. I have killed past 200 yards with my Freedom Arms .454 and you are talking about 150 yards with a rifle. You are in the wrong forum.

By the way, my .454 has a KEEPER brake. I use Action Ears so I can hear game and protect my hearing.

Your mother and I are very proud of you.

I still don't like breaks and reserve the right to take 150 yd shots if I want with out worrying about hearing protection or the forum in which I post.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
JohnBurns,

I still don't like breaks and reserve the right to take 150 yd shots if I want with out worrying about hearing protection or the forum in which I post.

Breaks are in Missouri.

Brakes is on rifles.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
JohnBurns,

Breaks are in Missouri.

Brakes is on rifles.............

Ha,

The Missouri Breaks are in Montana.

I am not the only dummy.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd concede that BSA is good company for you and Booster Boy has all the requisite earmarks to fit right in.................

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Muzzle breaks cause more problems than they fix, in my opinion.

I will not use a setup that requires ear plugs because I would feel like an ass if I lost a chance at 150yds because I needed to put in plugs before the shot.

So your not getting hearing damage shooting a none brake rifle without hearing protection? Interesting grin

In the real world you would laugh

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I get a lot of offers for my rifles. It made them a lot easier to sell when I learned what a 7x57 shooting a 140gn bullet could do, in fact, there is very little it cannot do, especially in the lower 48.

Kinda spoils the dreams some times.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so far so good with my 300 rum.
usta use 150 tsx's at just over 3600 fps, and killed a cow elk at 762 yards.
now i am waiting on my next chance to use it, but it now pushes 165 nosler solid bases at 3550 fps.
i do not plan on anything under 400 yards with this rifle as where i sit with it, shots will not come any closer.

it does what i want it to do, and then some.
some think it's over kill, and maybe it's true. but to me dead is dead.
is there a better bullet or even cartrisge for where I hunt ?
maybe, but as long as my 300 rum shoots the way it does, and hopefully the barrel in reserve does too, i can see me shooting a 300 rum for along time.

muzzle brake, nope, to me it doesn't recoil all that bad.

variety is the spice of life.

to each his own with what one chooses to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm kind of sweet on the RUM myself... i've got three 300's a 375 and a 35-300. they all put a smile on my face.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wont be getting rid of my 300 RUM anytime soon.
The two cartridges I shoot and hunt with the most are the 300RUM and the 7Rem Mag, I cant say I'd pick one over the other for most hunting situations. I killed my last deer with the 300 RUM 200 gr accubonds and my last elk with the 7mag 160gr accubonds.
I need to kill some critters with my 257wby so the 7 mag and 300 rum will probably sit in the safe for awhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The 7mm with the VLD bullet (BC over .600) is the biggest bullet I like. The 300 RUM with any of the bullets listed will not outperform the 7mm with the best bullets in real killing power out to any range I will shoot." As quoted by John Burns.

You are spot on and I get tired of the argument with the Magnum egos that think the .300's and 338's magically shoot flatter, kill faster and hit so much harder. How far do you need to shoot through an elk...really? I don't care what you stuff in a RUM, they simply don't shoot flatter. They will pack a heavier payload, but more wind bucking and flatter shooting, they don't do. Those who know...and have been there done that know this. Paper ballistics and drop charts printed off some web site don't mean squat. Go out and actually shoot your load at your elevation and you will have your eyes opened....WIDE! I have shot them all side by side with VLD bullets, equal scopes, dialed to the nuts. The 7mm shoots to their equal or better in trajectory and wind drift. Which one is easier to shoot and practice with more? Which one is cheaper and easier to master? 7mm mag every time. If all you want is a bigger heavier bullet, go beat your chest and proclaim you are shooting a RUM. Come back after an afternoon of shooting 50+ rounds at long range practice/play and tell me again how "managable" the recoil is and that it doesn't bother you. I call BS. I shoot with some dang good shooters and NONE of them like cranking off more than 10 rounds in their RUMS unbraked. They all develop a flinch and a tender shoulder. The RUMS take a lot of trigger time to master at 500+ yards. They are not a death ray or magic. They are not a beginner tool. I have done amazing things at long range with a simple .25-284. A giant RUM would have done nothing different in any stretch of the imagination. The used shelves of every gun store are STACKED full of Rums, due to their managable recoil and shootability ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.