-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No big game critters past the 635, just steel and targets. And yes, they do keep pace with each other out to 1,000 on steel and paper targets. That is as far as I have ran either one. The questions were if the AMAX is a good bullet for hunting close and far, which it is. I have killed deer at 550 yards with 120 grain bullets shot out of a 7mm-08, so the 7mm mag is just getting warmed up at that range. The problem is getting tags to kill such critters. ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was looking to see how they did on elk. Thanks anyways, your about were I'm at distance on elk.

My longest big game kill was on a blacktail at 892 yards with a 195 grain wildcat bullet out of a 270AM.

By the way My boy still shooting that .257 Wby. wink

Last edited by joecool544; 01/28/11.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Flinch
The questions were if the AMAX is a good bullet for hunting close and far, which it is.

First off, Flinch, thanks for the information on the terminal effects of the 7 A-max. I've never hunted with 'em, and just picked up a few, so this is a serious question for you or others who've used them on game.

Running them at 7 mag. velocities, do close-in shots give you reason for pause?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Recent vintage,much trumps the elder and they dig nicely...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, thanks, these are just off the truck, recent vintage. Are you talking deer, or larger? Worst-case for me would be elk.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3000fps impact/pass thru.................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice, your daughter is a lucky girl. That shot with the fingernail polish is priceless.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Double post, deleted.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Flinch/Larry: Thanks for info on the 162Amax.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long range you say! Well I find it hard to override the ability of the .300-RUM using a 180 (3340-fps) grain Nosler Accubond bullet for hunting sake. I do not need a brake on this particular rifle and load. Now the .338-Edge is a horse of a different color and heavier, meant for stationary work only in my humble opinion.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 155 Scenar has the same BC and you'll gain 25grs of speed.

Just sayin'................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
25 grains of speed????

and here I have a pound of powder that has 7000 grains of speed, standing still...

and to think, an 8 lb jug of powder would therefore have 56000 grains of speed standing still...

Amazing.. just simply amazing...

and who'd a thunk it???

So Gang, see what you can think about when you get to endure 8 months of cabin fever each winter!

Thanks Schtick.. those are nice facts to know..

how did I ever get along in life up to this point not knowing those sort of facts???

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Seafire.
It's starting to look like your going out of your way to respond to sticks posts, kind of stocking him.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jamie
Seafire.
It's starting to look like your going out of your way to respond to sticks posts, kind of stocking him.

I love the guy...

no one makes me laugh the way Big Schtick makes me laugh..

I imagine him snowbound in the old Big Schtick Shack for 6 to 8 months out of the year... and imagine that his link to the rest of the world is the internet and 24 hour campfire...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
25 grains of speed????

and here I have a pound of powder that has 7000 grains of speed, standing still...

and to think, an 8 lb jug of powder would therefore have 56000 grains of speed standing still...

Amazing.. just simply amazing...

and who'd a thunk it???

So Gang, see what you can think about when you get to endure 8 months of cabin fever each winter!

Thanks Schtick.. those are nice facts to know..

how did I ever get along in life up to this point not knowing those sort of facts???

"25grs of speed" is factored by the modest 155 Scenar's bearing surface and overall mass,as extrapolated to the 180 AccuBomb in regards to same. She's got far more drag/mass and the only chronograph that won't realize those facts reliably,is the Imaginary one housed betwixt your ears.

180grs minus 155grs,reliably yields 25grs and them differences at like BC,constitute less drop/drift,due simply to the increase in speed at like pressure.

Keep that Imagination cranked up,you're doing soooooooooooooo "well"..................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I see the above bait worked like a charm...

[Linked Image]

Sorry Schtick... you make it too easy..

I'm spending too much time having fun at your expense...

that anonymous PM I got about Child Abusin' you was spot on..

child abuses is immoral, even when the child is over 40...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep telling yourself,whatever you think it is,you most gotta hear.

I'll happily roll facts along,to quell your Imagination...............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Keep telling yourself,whatever you think it is,you most gotta hear.

I'll happily roll facts along,to quell your Imagination...............

you happily Roll Along.. kinda like a flat tire roll along?

we'll we agree on that..

see? isn't dialog wonderful! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're in so far over your head,you need daylight pumped to you..................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You're in so far over your head,you need daylight pumped to you..................

in over my head with who?

YOU?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
thats a good one Schtick..

see the bait is still working and you still aren't learning..

[Linked Image]

part 2...

Last edited by Seafire; 01/29/11.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.