Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what everyone's thought's on the 300rum are. There seems to be a lot of talk about the 338cal as being a good long ranger, but the 300rum to my mind get's very little air time by comparison.

I would have thought the Sierra 240grain bullet would be very effective and should be launched from the rum with enough velocity to make it useful.

The other side of the equation is just how much recoil is generated from the 300. Is it still doable without a muzzlebrake as the bigger 338's tend to require one, unless you are into self harm eek

I'd be interested in your thoughts and experience.

LowBC

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you're going to be a serious long ranger, you need to practice. Practicing with a 300 RUM pushing 240s would be wayy too much recoil for most people and you'll probably end up with a muzzlebrake. If you're going to have a muzzlebrake anyway, you might decide to go with a 338.

I generally skip the big 30's. I shoot either a 7mm without a muzzlebrake or a 338 with, but I'll admit that a big 30 will do pretty much anything that can be done.

Cross

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
200 gr accubond and 95 gr retumbo = about +/- 3200 fps and recoil is tolerable.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I have a NIB M-70 Stainless that I'll begin load development for in the spring, that's where I intend to start. BC is around .571 IIRC

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The 300 RUM is a great cartridge. It does require a muzzle brake for accurate long range shooting. It is capable of killing animals as far as a guy can hit them. With some of the specialty bullets out there it is one of the best long range chamberings. Like the 177grain GS bullet at near 3500 fps with a BC approaching .7. For a guy wanting a point and shoot flat shooter to 600 or so yards a 150 grain bullet at over 3700 fps is awesome. The 185 Berger with .549 BC makes a good mid range shooter that can go 1000 yards easily at over 3400 fps. I took deer and antelope in the 900-1000 yard range this year with a 300 RUM shooting 208 Hornady Amax bullets at 3210 fps.

For a guy wanting a one rifle do it all to last his lifetime the 338 RUM is a better choice because of the barrel wear with the 300 RUM. The 338 has much greater barrel life and can be loaded with bullets that hit harder at longer ranges. My Rem 700 with factory 26" barrel shoots the 300 smk up to 2800 fps and 225 accubond .550 BC at 3260 fps. These loads will outshoot the capability of the rifle.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Bullschlitz
The 300 RUM is a great cartridge. It does require a muzzle brake for accurate long range shooting.

Why?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unless you are shooting a 10 lb+ rifle, it's going to be hard to shoot it from steady field positions frequently due to recoil. I had a sporter weight unbraked 300 RUM and it smacked me harder than my 375 H&H did.
I'm putting together a long range 300 RUM this spring. I'm planning on shooting the 210 gr VLD at around 3100 fps. I don't expect as much barrel life as a 338 but that is why they make new barrels. grin

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned many 300 ultra's and the recoil has been very manageable. If you have to have a brake to shoot one accurately it may be a good choice to go to like a 300 win mag.Right now I am running RL25 with 200 accubonds,only need 17.5 MOA at 1000 yards.The recoil thing all depepends on the person, I have owned and shot 378 weatherby's,375 ultra's,338 ultra's,340 weatherby's,338-378 weatherby etc so the 300 rum feels mild to me but to others it could be to much.

1 and done
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by highridge1
I have owned many 300 ultra's and the recoil has been very manageable. If you have to have a brake to shoot one accurately it may be a good choice to go to like a 300 win mag. The recoil thing all depepends on the person....the 300 rum feels mild to me but to others it could be to much.

Yup

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only one 300 RUM, a M700 LSS.
The recoil is fast, but not overly heavy, IMO.
I love what can do with a 200gr partition or accubond at 3200fps.

I wouldn't mind trying one of the heavier, sleeker projectiles at some point, either.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I currently shoot a 338win mag and don't have any problems with that, how does the 300rum compare.

With the velocities being quoted, are those with a 26 inch barrel or longer?

The rifle I am contemplating is a sendero in 300rum...is anyone using one of those?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LowBC
I currently shoot a 338win mag and don't have any problems with that, how does the 300rum compare.

With the velocities being quoted, are those with a 26 inch barrel or longer?

The rifle I am contemplating is a sendero in 300rum...is anyone using one of those?

I have some trigger time with both of those, BC, mostly 225s out of the 338Winny and almost exclusively 200's out of the 300 RUM, both in rigs that go just over 9 lbs all up-in my opinion, the RUM kicks a bit harder, but not a bunch.
If you can shoot one, you can shoot the other.
And yes, the 3200 from my 300 RUM w/ 200gr NPs I see(over an Oehler Chrono) is from a 26" barrel.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love mine....200grain Accubond + 94.0 retumbo, yields 3150 and 1.5" groups at 300 yards.

[Linked Image]
350 yards......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just ask those guys how much they like the 300RUM......

Tony

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
The 300 RUM is a great cartridge. It does require a muzzle brake for accurate long range shooting.

Why?

I totally concur, the 300 RUM is a great round, and I in no way shape or form concur about the mzl brake. Brakes are for cars!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Why?

I totally concur, the 300 RUM is a great round, and I in no way shape or form concur about the mzl brake. Brakes are for cars!

Dober

Brakes are for cars??? well maybe maybe not but Dots are better suited for children's books. laugh laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dats for sure....grin

Dober (the originator of Dober dotz..grin)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am on my second barrel on mine , they are good for about 1000 rounds. If barrel wear is a concern then I wouldnt bother getting into the long range thing . to get good enough you have to shoot. For me the only better option is the 30-338 or 338 edge. My 210 gr vld load gets me right a 3000fps and 1500 plus ft lb of energy at 1k.My friend is shooting his rum without a brake , difference is I can watch my rounds through the scope past 400 he cant. Long range guns are better off heavy. I am 6'4" and weigh 250 , i wouldnt be able to shoot as accuratley without a brake. A sendero is a great way to get started. We have killed critters past 1k and the 300rum is more than adequate for long range hunting. Here is mine:
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My .300 RUM isn't a dedicated long range rifle. It's light enough to carry, but scary accurate with a 200 grain Accubond and RL-25 moving at 3200 fps. I like the ability to carry the rifle all day, but also have the accuracy and range if I need it. Mine has no brake. That doesn't seem to affect my shooting, so it will continue to not wear one. Someday I'll find a place to stretch it out to 1000. Kinda curious to see what it will do. mtmuley

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the things I've liked the most about the big 30 is that to date I've not seen a factory 700 that won't shoot balls out. As 4 recoil, I've only shot the standard weight factory rigs and to date I've not found the recoil to be objectionable.

Dober

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
BCJR
That's one fine looking rig, what optics is it wearing.

My preference is for a rig that doesn't need a brake simply for the noise factor and consideration for other guys at the range. I don't need to be removing the caps from their heads at the neighbouring bench if I can help it laugh

I suspect the added weight of the Sendero will help in the recoil department...though I have to say I don't like the ambidextrous palm swell they have got going on.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love my 300 RUM. It is a hammer, I shoot the 200 accubonds and it does quite well deep downrange.

**Premium AR500 Steel targets for a great cause!!! Rounds, Squares, IPSC, coyotes, ETC.

****Check out jcsteeltargets.com****

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BCJR
That's one fine looking rig, what optics is it wearing.

My preference is for a rig that doesn't need a brake simply for the noise factor and consideration for other guys at the range. I don't need to be removing the caps from their heads at the neighbouring bench if I can help it laugh

I suspect the added weight of the Sendero will help in the recoil department...though I have to say I don't like the ambidextrous palm swell they have got going on.

nightforce nxs 5.5x22 npr1 ret.I guess if the rig your after isnt a dedicated long range then you dont need a brake(just a stout shoulder) 4 or 5 shots wont be bad but the guy with a brake on a rum can shoot all day,,,funny to me as most guys talk about noise levels and hearing damage with brakes and yet they shoot a rifle with no brake and no hearing protection while hunting..kinda crazy. If there is someone at your range without hearing protection then i guess a report from a braked rifle isnt going to make them any less intelligent! with hearing protection the report isnt bad for the shooter and anyone behind the shooter.I would not own a long range capable rig without a brake. Just my opinion/experience. Also PSS stocks have palm swell not senderos.Best of luck, shoot a bunch!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300 RUM's are a GOOD thing. Especially with 200gr Accubonds and Retumbo.

Unbraked 200yd group:

[Linked Image]

Unbraked 300yd Group:

[Linked Image]

Unbraked 546yd 1 shot group:

[Linked Image]

No brakes on hunting rifles for me!.....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Taking the braked issue out of the equation and fair points raised above about ear protection and intelligence :-)

Is it difficult with the loads you guys are using to achieve low velocity spreads?

Also, what sort of terminal performace are you guys seeing between the accubonds and the amax's?

Is anyone using the big sierra 240grain or the new hornady 225grain?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
if ur gonna run 240smk i would install a wyatts extended box mag will allow you to seat the bullets out and take advantage of awesome 300rum case capacity.My deviations with h1000 ARE IN THE LOW LOW TEENS. 300 YARDS WITH A BREAK 3 SHOTS
[Linked Image]
950 YARDS WITH A BRAKE
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I have a NIB M-70 Stainless that I'll begin load development for in the spring, that's where I intend to start. BC is around .571 IIRC

You have purchased a great hunting rifle. I owned one of these and topped it off with a 4.5-4 Zeiss Conquest scope and it was probably the most accurate hunting rifle I ever shot. My load was 94gn of Retumbo with the 200gn Accubond for 3170fps and groups that left bullet holes touching more than not.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
My load was 94gn of Retumbo with the 200gn Accubond for 3170fps and groups that left bullet holes touching more than not.

JW

That's my goal.....whichever charge provides one hole accuracy at 3100+ FPS

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My load was 94gn of Retumbo with the 200gn Accubond for 3170fps and groups that left bullet holes touching more than not.

JW

Sounds like a candidate for an Echols Legend, standard fill, to me.... whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You'd offer a fat man pie, wouldn't you Bob.... grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JW

3200 FPS is not difficult with a 200 grain AccuBond with great accuracy IME

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've been pleased with mine...
Kirby Allen 300 RUM with 30"bbl
200AB's and Re25 give me 3280fps with low, low ES

Only shot 4 animals past 400 yards so far, but all 4 were bang-flop, DRT

I sure do like a brake to be able to see my bullet impact the animal through the scope. When hunting long range, if I've got the time to range the critter, check the wind with the Kestrel, dial in the dope, then I've also got another 1.5sec to put the earmuffs on.

I think the big 338's would be superior for working beyond 1000 yards or for much bigger game, but for what I do (whitetails between 500-800 yards) it would be hard for someone to convince me there is a better rig than the 300 RUM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what everyone's thought's on the 300rum are. There seems to be a lot of talk about the 338cal as being a good long ranger, but the 300rum to my mind get's very little air time by comparison.

I would have thought the Sierra 240grain bullet would be very effective and should be launched from the rum with enough velocity to make it useful.

The other side of the equation is just how much recoil is generated from the 300. Is it still doable without a muzzlebrake as the bigger 338's tend to require one, unless you are into self harm eek

I'd be interested in your thoughts and experience.

LowBC
..........I great long ranged round imo. A handloader can load it down to 300 Win and 300 Bee levels, or go up to full steam. Just a 300 Win and 300 Bee with more juice.

If you can handle the recoil, go for it.

And speaking of a 338? I recently acquired a new 338-378 Wby Accumark w/brake. So like the 300 RUM, I have the option to load it down to all 338 RUM levels and down to the higher 340 Wby levels. Quite a fun piece of equipment at the range.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for the input so far guys.

There are two reasons for choosing the 300 over a 338. I don't think there is a factory rifle with heavy barrel made in 338 to start me off with.

The second is my local range won't allow the big 338's to be shot there...not sure why.

Finally, I figured the 300rum would be a good starting point that when the barrel is stuffed, I can easily change barrels up to a 338edge or the like with minimum fuss.

Sound reasonable?

(With the only exception being a new range will need to be found between now and then.)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i own a 300rum rem 700 bull bbl 29 in in a boyd varminter and its a breeze to shoot compared to a 338 rum or lapua.i shoot 210 sierras and the accubonds.i wouldnt want to shoot a light bbl 300rum.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
DJ those are some great groups with that 300 RUM, nice work

**Premium AR500 Steel targets for a great cause!!! Rounds, Squares, IPSC, coyotes, ETC.

****Check out jcsteeltargets.com****

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
x2 on that retumbo, i also get great accuracy out of h4831sc

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

JW

Sounds like a candidate for an Echols Legend, standard fill, to me.... whistle

Like this one? This was to be the last rifle I ever built...I have since had some thoughts about a custom Mauser and a walking varmint rig, but this is my primary big game rig when the chips are down.
I use the 165 AB on deer and the 200AB on anything bigger. Both work very well and the accuracy and consistency are great.
Specs on the gun are as follows: 24" Rock #3 barrel( have a fluted Rock #3 waiting for the current tube to burn up), Echols Legend edge left natural, Jewell trigger at 1.5lb, Talley LW, Williams bottom metal, Williams extractor, Wisner bolt release,Sunny Hill supergrade style sling studs, Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10X42mm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Low BC,
Before you make up your mind see if you can fire a 338 Magnum with 300 gr. Sierra MatchKings from the prone position.
I know a High Master who used one in a 1000 yd State Championship. He said he had to dig his toes in to keep from sliding back with every shot!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Another thing about the 300 rum is that for whatever reason everyone I have laid hands on has been a shooter and a very easy round to work with. Retumbo, and a GMM215 work well with any bullet from 150-200.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 300 RUM Bdl for a very short time before I bought the Sendero. 200 gr accubond and Retumbo. I enjoy shooting it much more after putting on the brake.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RandyR; 01/17/11.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
300RUM and 200AB have proven to be a bad combo for animals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had great results with 180 gr Scirocco II's out of my 300 RUM.

I shoot a Rem 700 LSS with a Leupold 4.5 x 14

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Today I came across a Christianson Arms Hunter in 300RUM with a Carbon Fiber BBL at a local sporting goods store it was a really good looking gun for $1500.00. I was not sure what they cost new and I think this has been fired just don't know how much so I passed it up. It has been there a while I have seen it before but today I held it and it weighs nothing so that concerned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is still really hard to beat a well put together 7mm mag shooting 162 Hornady Amax bullets or or 168 grain Burger hunting bullets at long range. No need for a brake of any kind and shoots flat, equaling or bettering the the .300 and .338 Rums. I've shot them all and always go back to the 7mm, due to lack of fuss and a LOT less expense. I don't care how tough you are, the .338's are brutal and the .300's aren't fun to shoot for more than 10 rounds (I am talking without brakes). I won't shoot with brakes, especially on a hunting rifle. I like my hearing too much, or at least what is left of it ;o). The RUMS get down right punishing during a day of long range practice. You WILL develop a flinch after shooting a few rounds through them prone or in field positions. My buddies and I have had amazing success with the 7mm magnum combo on long range critters, both near and far. We haven't had any problem shooting through big bulls or anything else. RUMS are not for beginners to the long range game, nor are they needed. They are specialty tools for seasoned shooters. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Another thing about the 300 rum is that for whatever reason everyone I have laid hands on has been a shooter and a very easy round to work with. Retumbo, and a GMM215 work well with any bullet from 150-200.

I think that GMM215 is the way to go with that caliber, also.
Mine does great with 200 gr NPs, but not so good(thus far) with the AB.
I will keep trying, as I really like the looks of as well as what I hear about that projectile in the .308" 200gr.

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy and I both have factory Remingtons and they are outstanding right out of the box. The only thing custom so far (I want a new stock and bigger mag box) is the ammo. RETUMBO is excellent. We switch boolits and goof around and still shoot great groups. It was weird at first but we are getting used to it. smile

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 7mm equaling or bettering the .300 amd .338 RUMs. In what way? mtmuley

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Equal or better trajectory, less powder, less recoil, longer barrel life, cheaper bullets, easier on the average shooter in all areas. Anyone can shoot a 7mm without being a seasoned shooter that has overcome the severe recoil and muzzle blast of the bigger calibers. A newbie to long range shooting/hunting is going to hate the bigger calibers and not be able to shoot them well in field conditions/positions. Nearly anyone can plop down behind a 12 lb. 7 mag. and start hitting stuff way out there. Just my opinion based on a lot of dead critters with the 7mm mag. I am not bashing the RUMS in any way. They are fabulous, but not for everyone, especially newbies. You don't need a cannon to reach way out there. That is all I am saying. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
My buddy and I both have factory Remingtons and they are outstanding right out of the box. The only thing custom so far (I want a new stock and bigger mag box) is the ammo. RETUMBO is excellent. We switch boolits and goof around and still shoot great groups. It was weird at first but we are getting used to it. smile

I run Retumbo also. I get 3200 with Nosler's max(book) load and sub MOA with the 200 Partition, but more like 2 inches with the 200gr AB.
I used to run IMR 7828 with the 200gr Partition, velocity was only about 3080 over my Oehler chrony, but the accuracy was superb!

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 300 and 338 RUM are easily flatter shooting than the 7 mag.They also deliver a bigger pay load with more energy.I do agree though the 7 mag is less punishing and cheaper to shoot.I'm only running 17.5 MOA at 1000 yards with my 300 Ultra and 200 gr accubonds, 4 inch high at 100 yards.

1 and done
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Flinch, I'll take the heavier bullet in the RUM. I also like the BOTW trajectory and energy comparison chart in their mag ad that compares the 7mm VLD with a heavy RN in a .30-.378. Very misleading. As far as less powder, barrel wear and cost, LR isn't cheap nor easy. If the 7mm makes it easy for beginers, that's a bad thing. mtmuley

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Flinch, I hear where you are coming from. I currently shoot a 7mm Mag (have for 20 years...the same one in fact). My first forays into long range have been with a Remington VLS in 6mm shooting 95grain sierra HPBT's. It is a beautiful little rifle that I have learnt a lot with, I still have a lot more too learn. The 7mm with good 160'ish grain bullets is a tough one to beat no doubt.

Too be honest gents, I swing from the 7mm Mag to the 300RUM. Half the attraction of the rum is simply because I don't have one and it is a bigger cartridge. Ballistics wise, it almost seems like you could go 7mm and skip the 300 to 338. Both the 7mm and 338 appear to have ballistically superior offerings...though I am happy to stand corrected.

As I'm in no rush, the decision doesn't have to be made right now. Perhaps the 7mmRUM is equally worth consideration?

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I also meant to say thank you to the guys who have responded thus far. Some great shooting and nice pics to boot. Great stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 7Remmie is a great blend of capacity,to COAL latitude,for scooting meaningful BC's.

The RUM is a coupla steps backwards..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I now a lot of fellows who started their long range career with the 300 RUM but don�t know any who stuck with it after actually killing more than 2 bulls at long range.

A very accurate cartridge in factory 700s but sooner or later the recoil or blast made everybody I know look for something else.

300 RUM has killed a bunch of elk but it might not be the best choice if you want lots of range.

The 7 Rem Mag with the 180 VLD will catch the 300 RUM with the 180gr Sirocco at 600yds at sea level and it will never kick anywhere near as hard.

Nothing against the RUM but there might be better choices if you are wanting more range.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
correct me if i am wrong here Mr. Burns, but isnt the 180 as heavy as it gets in 7mm?

you could easily outperform the 7mm with a 200 grain bullet, or even a 210, or 220, or 240 if you were so inclined.

a good muzzle brake will help tremendously with recoil, and there is no excuse for not having one if you intend to shoot long range a lot.

those who said they wont have one on a hunting rifle dont seem to realize where they are posting. this is the Long Range forum. if you are going to hunt long range, you need time to set up a shot, and if you have time for that, you have time to slip in some ear plugs.

no excuses made.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
correct me if i am wrong here Mr. Burns, but isnt the 180 as heavy as it gets in 7mm?

you could easily outperform the 7mm with a 200 grain bullet, or even a 210, or 220, or 240 if you were so inclined.

a good muzzle brake will help tremendously with recoil, and there is no excuse for not having one if you intend to shoot long range a lot.

those who said they wont have one on a hunting rifle dont seem to realize where they are posting. this is the Long Range forum. if you are going to hunt long range, you need time to set up a shot, and if you have time for that, you have time to slip in some ear plugs.

no excuses made.

Marty your not suppose to think of things like that. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weight is moot. BC and it's velocity ain't. Nor is throat/magbox harmony.

The 162A-Max is very easy to scoot at a good pace and the .625 BC don't suck. Hell...a 7-08 will keep it supersonic to the 1500yd line.

Tough to whoop,when weighing terminal affects,recoil,price or anything else...........,

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some of us prefer to hunt with bullets other than the one that seems to give the 7mm RM superpowers. mtmuley

I am new to the forum. So howdy all. I have just bought a Rem 700 sendero 300 RUM.I have the jewell trigger in it set to 14 oz pull. I have a 8.25 x 25 x 50 luppie for glass and have a 3x booster if needed. I am looking for factory loaded ammo to shoot as I know zip about reloading and dont want to start. I have two loads that look good to me. Premier� Scirocco� Bonded - Power Level III 150 gr. and NoslerCustom Ammunition 300 RUM 150 AB what would you suggestions would be for the best long range load?thanks for any help

Last edited by 2xlstones; 01/22/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Some of us prefer to hunt with bullets other than the one that seems to give the 7mm RM superpowers. mtmuley

Dumb people,do dumb things and routinely.

Only gets better,when they feel compelled to "brag" about same............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2xlstones
I am new to the forum. So howdy all. I have just bought a Rem 700 sendero 300 RUM.I have the jewell trigger in it set to 14 oz pull. I have a 8.25 x 25 x 50 luppie for glass and have a 3x booster if needed. I am looking for factory loaded ammo to shoot as I know zip about reloading and dont want to start. I have two loads that look good to me. Premier� Scirocco� Bonded - Power Level III 150 gr. and NoslerCustom Ammunition 300 RUM 150 AB what would you suggestions would be for the best long range load?thanks for any help

With the booster,it won't matter what you shoot. They are really something!

Power Level 4 is where it's at,if not using the booster.................

3x booster for the scope! but the rem ammo better?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,it really don't get better than the booster,but I hope you'll try..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tough crowd

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some folks shoot and others should certainly start.................(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

no excuses made.

Muzzle breaks cause more problems than they fix, in my opinion.

Elk die from bullets much smaller than 180grs and adding bullet weight does not add to real killing power.

Long Range game dies from shot placement and skipping the break and keeping recoil as low as possible gets the hits under real hunting conditions.

The 7mm with the VLD bullet (BC over .600) is the biggest bullet I like. The 300 RUM with any of the bullets listed will not outperform the 7mm with the best bullets in real killing power out to any range I will shoot.

I will not use a setup that requires ear plugs because I would feel like an ass if I lost a chance at 150yds because I needed to put in plugs before the shot.

All this is coming from a guy who dropped back down to the 264 Win Mag/140gr VLD/3250fps this year and shot better on game than ever before

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/22/11.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Hey good luck going on your way through life with a attitude like yours. Good Luck

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JohnBurns,

This is the long range hunting forum. I have killed past 200 yards with my Freedom Arms .454 and you are talking about 150 yards with a rifle. You are in the wrong forum.

By the way, my .454 has a KEEPER brake. I use Action Ears so I can hear game and protect my hearing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
JohnBurns,

This is the long range hunting forum. I have killed past 200 yards with my Freedom Arms .454 and you are talking about 150 yards with a rifle. You are in the wrong forum.

By the way, my .454 has a KEEPER brake. I use Action Ears so I can hear game and protect my hearing.

Your mother and I are very proud of you.

I still don't like breaks and reserve the right to take 150 yd shots if I want with out worrying about hearing protection or the forum in which I post.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
JohnBurns,

I still don't like breaks and reserve the right to take 150 yd shots if I want with out worrying about hearing protection or the forum in which I post.

Breaks are in Missouri.

Brakes is on rifles.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
JohnBurns,

Breaks are in Missouri.

Brakes is on rifles.............

Ha,

The Missouri Breaks are in Montana.

I am not the only dummy.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd concede that BSA is good company for you and Booster Boy has all the requisite earmarks to fit right in.................

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Muzzle breaks cause more problems than they fix, in my opinion.

I will not use a setup that requires ear plugs because I would feel like an ass if I lost a chance at 150yds because I needed to put in plugs before the shot.

So your not getting hearing damage shooting a none brake rifle without hearing protection? Interesting grin

In the real world you would laugh

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I get a lot of offers for my rifles. It made them a lot easier to sell when I learned what a 7x57 shooting a 140gn bullet could do, in fact, there is very little it cannot do, especially in the lower 48.

Kinda spoils the dreams some times.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so far so good with my 300 rum.
usta use 150 tsx's at just over 3600 fps, and killed a cow elk at 762 yards.
now i am waiting on my next chance to use it, but it now pushes 165 nosler solid bases at 3550 fps.
i do not plan on anything under 400 yards with this rifle as where i sit with it, shots will not come any closer.

it does what i want it to do, and then some.
some think it's over kill, and maybe it's true. but to me dead is dead.
is there a better bullet or even cartrisge for where I hunt ?
maybe, but as long as my 300 rum shoots the way it does, and hopefully the barrel in reserve does too, i can see me shooting a 300 rum for along time.

muzzle brake, nope, to me it doesn't recoil all that bad.

variety is the spice of life.

to each his own with what one chooses to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm kind of sweet on the RUM myself... i've got three 300's a 375 and a 35-300. they all put a smile on my face.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wont be getting rid of my 300 RUM anytime soon.
The two cartridges I shoot and hunt with the most are the 300RUM and the 7Rem Mag, I cant say I'd pick one over the other for most hunting situations. I killed my last deer with the 300 RUM 200 gr accubonds and my last elk with the 7mag 160gr accubonds.
I need to kill some critters with my 257wby so the 7 mag and 300 rum will probably sit in the safe for awhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The 7mm with the VLD bullet (BC over .600) is the biggest bullet I like. The 300 RUM with any of the bullets listed will not outperform the 7mm with the best bullets in real killing power out to any range I will shoot." As quoted by John Burns.

You are spot on and I get tired of the argument with the Magnum egos that think the .300's and 338's magically shoot flatter, kill faster and hit so much harder. How far do you need to shoot through an elk...really? I don't care what you stuff in a RUM, they simply don't shoot flatter. They will pack a heavier payload, but more wind bucking and flatter shooting, they don't do. Those who know...and have been there done that know this. Paper ballistics and drop charts printed off some web site don't mean squat. Go out and actually shoot your load at your elevation and you will have your eyes opened....WIDE! I have shot them all side by side with VLD bullets, equal scopes, dialed to the nuts. The 7mm shoots to their equal or better in trajectory and wind drift. Which one is easier to shoot and practice with more? Which one is cheaper and easier to master? 7mm mag every time. If all you want is a bigger heavier bullet, go beat your chest and proclaim you are shooting a RUM. Come back after an afternoon of shooting 50+ rounds at long range practice/play and tell me again how "managable" the recoil is and that it doesn't bother you. I call BS. I shoot with some dang good shooters and NONE of them like cranking off more than 10 rounds in their RUMS unbraked. They all develop a flinch and a tender shoulder. The RUMS take a lot of trigger time to master at 500+ yards. They are not a death ray or magic. They are not a beginner tool. I have done amazing things at long range with a simple .25-284. A giant RUM would have done nothing different in any stretch of the imagination. The used shelves of every gun store are STACKED full of Rums, due to their managable recoil and shootability ;o) Flinch

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love my 338RUM. Not a plinker, but with 210xlc's, it's all business.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them too, just not for extended long range sessions..;o) Flinch

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Flinch, Have ya compared the great 7mm against anything else while not using the wonder bullets? mtmuley

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Flinch, Have ya compared the great 7mm against anything else while not using the wonder bullets? mtmuley

Sure Flinch will chime in smile

But sure!Coming from just before th last Ice Age, I've fired slews of Nosler Partitions and Sierra's to 600 yards from 7 mags, 300's up through the Weatherby,and 338's and 340's.

From a trajectory standpoint,start a 160 7mm NPT at 3100,alongside a 30 cal 180 at the same vel, the 7mm will slightly out do it.

And a 175 7mm at the same velocity, will stay with a 180 30 cal started at 3200 or so....and in my rifle it only takes 73 gr of powder to get it there,vs 85-95 or so in the 300 RUM or 300 Weatherby.

The 210's from the 338 are falling off the map by then....

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You're making me like my 7mm Dakota even more Bob grin

A 175 grain Accubond would absolutely rock!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I getta kick outta the 162 humping the Window Lickers up.

That boolit squarely rates building a rifle around...............

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I getta kick outta the 162 humping the Window Lickers up.

That boolit squarely rates building a rifle around...............

Think I built it....3200-3250 might not be needed....but I'll take it!...got the 162's here now smile

Doug the Dakota IS the Mashburn....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uh yes, that would be affirmative. Toss a 162 AMAX out of the 7mm mag a 3,100 fps and light stuff up WAY out there. This bullet absolutely rocks as a big game bullet, especially at extremely long range (That would be 800-1,200 yards for the window lickers...love that term). If you are shooting beyond that regularly, then the various .338's do come into their own in payload delivery. The various .300's won't keep up with the 162 AMAX in 7mm. That bullet is like a needle going through the air. Many .30's will beat it out to 600 yards, but fall behind after that. I am not bashing anyone's favorite .300 something or .338's. Just stating facts. You don't need big to shoot long. Flinch

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2xlstones

Well, since nobody really answered you...

Your 300 RUM as a cartridge has real potential. Good move on the Jewell. That scope should work. Forget the booster.

In the rifle world, the gap between a rifle & cartridges potential, and reality, can be... problematic. You need a very accurate rifle to even begin the game of true LR shooting. To that end, handloading is your friend, big time. You are also going to need to put a lot of rounds downrange to get from where you are now to where you want to be. A LOT. As in, plan on toasting that barrel in the next year! Again, handloading is your friend here. Even if you are made of money I gotta thing $50/box ammo will slow you down...

Finally, neither of the ammo choices you listed are good choices. Perhaps you are hung up on trajectory. Forget that. Trajectory is easy to compensate- gravity being well-understood and all- but wind is not. You need to be looking for bullets with a high BC, which usually means heavy-for-caliber. If you like Nosler, the 200-gn Accubond has a BC of .588, darn good for a "harder" bullet. It works very well for me from a 300 WM. Others to look hard at are the 208 Amax (.648 BC) and the Bergers.

So here's what you need. Turrets on your scope if they aren't there already. An RCBS Master Reloading Kit and a 300 RUM die. Don't know what powders to advise in a RUM but others will. Order some 200-AB's, 208 Amax, etc and find a scary-accurate load. Now get out and SHOOT that cannon for the 1500 rounds or whatever that barrel gives you. Rebarrel. Repeat. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Many .30's will beat it out to 600 yards, but fall behind after that.

Being that I just built a LR rifle in 7.

1000 yards.

300 RUM 155 Scenar 3,500 mv.....19 MOA
7mm REM 162 Amax 3,100 mv.....22.5 MOA

And just for kicks.
300 WSM 155 Scenar 3,330 mv......21.5 (I've tested this one to 1000 yards)

Besides being accurate anyone who has doubts about the validity of the Scenar bullet on big game need only ask, or see, Scenarshooters experience.

That bullet is also heck on armor plate at distance. I don't think it will have any problem on heavy shoulders.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the 7Remmie/300Whizzum extrapolation,I'd take the nearly foot of wind slipping and 100fps+ impact speed and near 200lbs of energy.

The RUM had better trump a 2.5" H&H.

Kidding about the "energy" making a [bleep] to me...that was for the Window Lickers.(grin)

Crossed fingers,in regards to both a .257" and .284" Scenar lineup...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Flinch
Toss a 162 AMAX out of the 7mm mag a 3,100 fps and light stuff up WAY out there....The various .300's won't keep up with the 162 AMAX in 7mm....Many .30's will beat it out to 600 yards, but fall behind after that....Just stating facts.

Have you ever shot a 208 AMAX at 3100 fps? Facts are facts, unless they're not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,I'd say it takes a bigger case,to launch the 208 at like 162 speeds.

Thoughts?.................(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course it does. In this thread about the 300 RUM he said "the various 300's" which obviously includes the 300 RUM.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In the 7Remmie/300Whizzum extrapolation,I'd take the nearly foot of wind slipping

And why I built the 7.

Still, my wiz in the A7 with M1's is nothing to dis.

Crossed fingers,in regards to both a .257" and .284" Scenar lineup...............

.284 Scenars would be game changers.

I'm really thinking they can smash bone like a X.

Window lickers always fall for the engergy boost. lol...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These are The Good Old Days,shame more cain't know it in advance.............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In fairness,I'd say it takes a bigger case,to launch the 208 at like 162 speeds.

In fairness, the higher BC of the 208 makes up neatly for 100 fps in velocity.

This is why I was able to prove you wrong on that 7-08/.308 thread, though it's yet to sink in apparantly.

Check it. What's that you like to say... Oh yeah, JBM don't lie.........

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In case it's not obvious, that's two lines there... right on top of one another.... wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the .284" - .308" extrapolation of the 162 to 208,that 46grs of weight difference,is but a 100fps void at like pressures,in chamberings of like capacity?

I DO love it,when you fire that [bleep] Imagination of your's up and start "proving" [bleep]! It could only get better,if you'd of never shot any of the boolits cited in your "Proving Grounds".

Oops!.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

This is why I was able to prove you wrong on that 7-08/.308 thread, though it's yet to sink in apparantly.

[Linked Image]

Wouldn't wanna lose your nugget................

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
None of the big .30's can keep up with a 7mm no matter what bullet one can load? I'm not an expert like some on this thread, so this is a serious question. Can the 7 not be equaled? mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never said dat,nor would I.

But when talking free lunches,the 7 is tough to whoop..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn I'd love to stretch out my pet 200AB hunting load out to 1000 for schits and grins....can't do it anywhere I have access to.

May not be the best BC available in a 308 but is plenty good for mu uses.

MV ave around 3150 out of my RUM.

Tony

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've stretched lesser,farther................(grin)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well crap, I screwed the pouch! Practiced for several months with my 7 mag and 300 win mag for 600 yards shooting in Montana. I used 175s in the 7 and 180s in the 300. Guess what? I shot my buck at 40 yards. Go figure.

But I am going to be ready and better for next year with my Winchester 70 Classic S/S sythetic 300 RUM with 200 grain partitions. I am using 95 grains of Retumbo and a 215 primer in Federal premium brass. Hopefully that 180+ buck will be willing to stay out at 600 yards.

Last edited by buddydog; 01/25/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I noted many moons ago,that the more I practiced,the "luckier" I got.

Not all can connect them dots............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea and I know you've killed schit further too....

You are one of those real "lucky" types no doubt.....

Tony

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Stick, You didn't say it, but it was implied in the thread. Like I said, a serious question. Shooting stuff a long way off isn't a "free lunch" is it? If one is gonna go out to kill critters 3/4 of a mile away, why the Hell would one be concerned about powder use, cost and barrel wear etc.? Maybe I'm all F-ed up, but big bullets really fast seem like the ticket to me. mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll not speak for anyone but myself,if only because I know what I said and why I said it.

As to the Free Lunch,a chambering simply cain't be any better than it's boolit and I could not say with a straight face,that the most case capacity available within a given bore diameter,is the best route to making [bleep] dead.

The only folks who think killing [bleep] is hard,is them that've killed the least amount of [bleep]. Intellesting correlation,for certain.................(grin)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fair enough. mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cain't like throats that exceed COAL latitudes either,because the last thing that interests me,is a non-repeater boltgun.

So I'd happily trade some case capacity to shorten COAL,so as to drive a boolit of my whim,directly from the magazine and into the throat.

That's what horns me up..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mtmuley the big 300 mags walk away from the 7 mags in long range performance especially the further you get out there.Run 200 gr bullets or heavier with good BC and it just simply does alot better. I'm running a 200 gr accubond at 3120, 4 inches high at 100 yards,only 17.5 MOA drop at 1000 yards.

1 and done
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
13.8 MOA for a 257Wby/100XLC to 1K,with a 4" high 100yd zero...................(grin)

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Between my 300 RUM/200gr accubond load and my 7mag/162gr A-max load, the rum has a little advantage in the wind.
Both rifles are rem 700 BDL's, the 7mag with a 24"barrel and the 300RUM with a 26" tube. The 200's are starting out at 3175fps out of my RUM, the 162's are running 3000FPS out of my 7mag.Both rifles weigh around 9Lb's. I do favor the 7mag for hunting but thats because of the rifle not the cartridge.
With a 100 yard zero My RUM needs 22MOA to get the 200's to 1000, The 162's/7mag 24.
The first shot is my 7mag, I put one over the steel to see how well I could spot a miss in the dry dirt. Every couple of shots I switched between the 7mag and the 300 RUM, I don't know what shots were with what.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the 162 at 3100+ in my 24" Whizzums.

Hard to walk past the Montucky,when headed out the door...............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy, the partition is going backwards big time in the long range game. That sucker drops like a rock! All the velocity and oomph at the barrel quickly drops. The Nosler book is a funny joke on their drop charts and velocities, so please don't quote that to me. Go shoot it and you will see what I mean. Load the partition, then simply switch it with a ballistic tip or accubond of the same weight (working up the load of course to the same velocity). Or load any other reasonably aerodynamic bullet and your eyes will open wide at the difference in velocity, drop, wind drift etc. There are FAR better bullets for what you are seeking to do than the partition. Oh, and at long range, you will get a .30 caliber hole through and through...no expansion with the partition, unless you hit bone. Flinch

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Flinch, thanks for the information. The Nosler book is really streching things according to those who I know that really do shoot the long range stuff. They been encouraging me to do my own thing with the partitions and then try the AB and see for my self.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
highridge1, I also use the 200 grain Accubond, and have for about 8 years. My load pushes it 3200 fps, and I've used it close and very far away, so I know exacxtly what it will do. Lots of paper and critters have been ventilated by my RUM. I just get a kick out of the 7mm using the VLD crowd. mtmuley

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Why sell the 300RUM 200fps short. You should run the same chart with the 208 A-Max at 3200 and see what happens.

A BC of .648 does sound interesting but 200gr Accubonds will continue to work quite well until somebody gets enough of the 208's in stock................................DJ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She was talking 308Winchester not Ultra.

Thus the humor..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A 308 Winchester with a 208 A-Max at 3000fps? Must have been some of Montana Marines loads smile ............................DJ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's no telling where her Imagination takes her,let alone why.

I dig that she's never seen/shot either boolit...and don't think dumbphucktitude of that magnitude can be topped.

But my fingers IS crossed....................

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My rifle loves the 208gr A-max loaded kissing the lands but the mag well in my BDL dont. 3.60" is about all the longer I can go and have it feed well from the mag, at that the long A-max is stuffed too far in the case for my likeing, they look retarded.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear good things aboutta 2.5" H&H hull necked to 7mm in them boxes,with a 162. Thoughts?

Grin...............

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hear good things aboutta 2.5" H&H hull necked to 7mm in them boxes,with a 162. Thoughts?

Grin...............

I think I might have read something about that in F&S one time

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best source of Intel on the 'net.

Can't wait to see what's in next month's issue!................

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by djpaintless

A 308 Winchester with a 208 A-Max at 3000fps? Must have been some of Montana Marines loads smile ............................DJ

That's funny.

I'm getting them into the 2600s in the 308Win. Brought home a 26" 700 SPS Varmint LH, a couple weeks ago. 2675 fps, via moly, and 48gr RL17 in heavy milsurp brass. 2620 fps in the 20.5" 308Win using 50gr RL17 in roomy Winchester brass, and moly.

I can't help but think the 7-08 could make 2800 fps with the 162, via RL17, moly, and 22" bbl.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many critters have you seen or personally ventilated with the crummy 7mm VLD Bullets? Curious as to where you get your expertise on such matters. Continue to pound your chest, you are the only one watching. Flinch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many critters have you seen or personally ventilated with the crummy 7mm VLD Bullets? Curious as to where you get your expertise on such matters. Continue to pound your chest, you are the only one watching. Flinch

How many have you shot with the 7mm VLDs? I am assuming some experiance since you term them as crummy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you would pull your head out of the mud and actually SHOOT both side by side (162 grain 7 mm Amax at 3,100 and 200 grain .338 ballistic tip at 3,200) you would quickly find that they are IDENTICAL in drop and drift at 1,000 yards, give or take an inch. I'm not talking paper ballistics with fairy dust sprinkled in, but actually shooting them. If you are good enough at that range to tell the difference, I bow before you. Keep laughing, because you haven't shot anything in VLD in 7mm. Continue chest pounding. It amuses me big time. Flinch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...Eddy, I was being sarcastic. VLD 7mm's are the bomb..especially the 162 Amax. Flinch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess any BT long secant ogive bullet is considered a VLD?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Flinch have you killed many elk with the 162Amax? How far and how did it do? I have never used the bullet,but recently bought some for my 7 mag.

Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No I wasn't. You said the 7mm outruns (wind drift) the .30 from comparable cases. The chart I posted shows otherwise, since the 208 Amax has a higher enough BC than the 162 Amax to compensate for about 100 fps of MV.

Hence 3100 fps for the 7 mag and 3000 fps from the 300 Winnie. Arbitrary numbers, sure, but the 100 fps difference is more or less correct.

I understand you not liking this fact being shown so clearly, but at least play fair here and don't distort what I say.

Here's the chart again. The result would be essentially the same if this was a 7-08 at 2700 fps and a .308 at 2600 fps.... remember? wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 01/27/11.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey Flinch, Calm down man. I see your one of the testy ones around here. I did not state the VLD was "crummy". I've never used a VLD on game, never will, and I even have a kick ass accurate load for the 190 grain in my RUM. Worked it up about 6 years ago. It just amuses me that the bullet makes the 7mm a kill all do all one shot dead on the spot rifle. Some of us don't buy in. Sure seems to irritate you if one challenges the idea. I'd like to know also how many elk you've VLD'ed to death. Ranges? One shot kills I bet. There's lots of ways to do it, and some of us aren't scared of the big bad .30's. mtmuley

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stick, here's the 7-08 and .308 comparison, you know the one where you said the 7-08 was "better".

Now don't make me drop a limerick on yo' ass..........

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No I wasn't. You said the 7mm outruns (wind drift) the .30 from comparable cases. The chart I posted shows otherwise, since the 208 Amax has a higher enough BC than the 162 Amax to compensate for about 100 fps of MV.

Hence 3100 fps for the 7 mag and 3000 fps from the 300 Winnie. Arbitrary numbers, sure, but the 100 fps difference is more or less correct.

I understand you not liking this fact being shown so clearly, but at least play fair here and don't distort what I say.

Here's the chart again. The result would be essentially the same if this was a 7-08 at 2700 fps and a .308 at 2600 fps.... remember? wink

[Linked Image]

Copy/paste what I said...so as to leave your Imagination out of it.

It'll be funny!..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting partner has shot them religiously at my side for the last 12 years. I do all his load development and testing. I shoot his Remington Sendero rifle more than he does, but he has gotten some great tags! He has money too, so he buys a lot of them. I have sat at his side and watched the results, so it isn't second hand or heresay. He shot a 380 bull this past season at 535 yards with massive trauma and wound channel, 350 bull last year at 565 yards, shot in the shoulder broad side, shattered shoulder bones, made pudding out of innards. He shot a 320 bull the year before at 506. Shot it in the shoulder broad side, same results as previous. 118 coues deer at 485. Shot it behind the shoulder, massive pudding huge exit hole. 130 white tail at 370, major pudding and exit hole through the lungs. Golf balls sized entrance and exit holes. 170 mule deer frontal shot at 635, major pudding, big exit hole. 165 mule deer at 435, broadside pudding and big exit hole. Pronghorn antelope 95 yards broad side, again, major pudding and huge exit hole. Bison 20 yards shot at base of skull. Powdered neck bones and base of skull, bit exit hole (probably bone and jacket). Countless smaller antelope, mule deer and coyotes out to 500 yards. He even took the bullet to Africa 5 years ago and killed several truck loads of critters for leopard bait. The PH was extremely impressed. The .380 bull was the ONLY critter that took a second shot and that was because he muffed the shot, but the bull still dropped and was dead. He uncoupled the back bone and shattered the pelvic on the first shot, but the bull was still wiggling (bull was facing him at an extreme down hill angle). I have used the 162 with several fabulous results as well, but he has me beat by FAR! I'm not getting testy with your .338 chest pounding. I just know first hand and second hand what the 162 Amax will do up close and at extreme range. You can't beat it for mild recoil, lack of shooting expense, long range ability and zapping critters like they are hit with a sledge hammer. Flinch

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Flinch just curious what was the furthest kill on big game have you use the 162 on. You did say they could keep pace with the big 338s out to a thousand. I do see 635 yards but that's not want I would call extreme range.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by djpaintless

That's funny.

I'm getting them into the 2600s in the 308Win. Brought home a 26" 700 SPS Varmint LH, a couple weeks ago. 2675 fps, via moly, and 48gr RL17 in heavy milsurp brass. 2620 fps in the 20.5" 308Win using 50gr RL17 in roomy Winchester brass, and moly.

I can't help but think the 7-08 could make 2800 fps with the 162, via RL17, moly, and 22" bbl.

Shane running those in mine at 2560 with Lapua brass. I wasn't able to reach your speeds, they just fell a little short.

Last edited by joecool544; 01/28/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No big game critters past the 635, just steel and targets. And yes, they do keep pace with each other out to 1,000 on steel and paper targets. That is as far as I have ran either one. The questions were if the AMAX is a good bullet for hunting close and far, which it is. I have killed deer at 550 yards with 120 grain bullets shot out of a 7mm-08, so the 7mm mag is just getting warmed up at that range. The problem is getting tags to kill such critters. ;o) Flinch

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was looking to see how they did on elk. Thanks anyways, your about were I'm at distance on elk.

My longest big game kill was on a blacktail at 892 yards with a 195 grain wildcat bullet out of a 270AM.

By the way My boy still shooting that .257 Wby. wink

Last edited by joecool544; 01/28/11.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The questions were if the AMAX is a good bullet for hunting close and far, which it is.

First off, Flinch, thanks for the information on the terminal effects of the 7 A-max. I've never hunted with 'em, and just picked up a few, so this is a serious question for you or others who've used them on game.

Running them at 7 mag. velocities, do close-in shots give you reason for pause?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Recent vintage,much trumps the elder and they dig nicely...............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, thanks, these are just off the truck, recent vintage. Are you talking deer, or larger? Worst-case for me would be elk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3000fps impact/pass thru.................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice, your daughter is a lucky girl. That shot with the fingernail polish is priceless.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Double post, deleted.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Flinch/Larry: Thanks for info on the 162Amax.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long range you say! Well I find it hard to override the ability of the .300-RUM using a 180 (3340-fps) grain Nosler Accubond bullet for hunting sake. I do not need a brake on this particular rifle and load. Now the .338-Edge is a horse of a different color and heavier, meant for stationary work only in my humble opinion.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 155 Scenar has the same BC and you'll gain 25grs of speed.

Just sayin'................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
25 grains of speed????

and here I have a pound of powder that has 7000 grains of speed, standing still...

and to think, an 8 lb jug of powder would therefore have 56000 grains of speed standing still...

Amazing.. just simply amazing...

and who'd a thunk it???

So Gang, see what you can think about when you get to endure 8 months of cabin fever each winter!

Thanks Schtick.. those are nice facts to know..

how did I ever get along in life up to this point not knowing those sort of facts???

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Seafire.
It's starting to look like your going out of your way to respond to sticks posts, kind of stocking him.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jamie
Seafire.
It's starting to look like your going out of your way to respond to sticks posts, kind of stocking him.

I love the guy...

no one makes me laugh the way Big Schtick makes me laugh..

I imagine him snowbound in the old Big Schtick Shack for 6 to 8 months out of the year... and imagine that his link to the rest of the world is the internet and 24 hour campfire...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
25 grains of speed????

and here I have a pound of powder that has 7000 grains of speed, standing still...

and to think, an 8 lb jug of powder would therefore have 56000 grains of speed standing still...

Amazing.. just simply amazing...

and who'd a thunk it???

So Gang, see what you can think about when you get to endure 8 months of cabin fever each winter!

Thanks Schtick.. those are nice facts to know..

how did I ever get along in life up to this point not knowing those sort of facts???

"25grs of speed" is factored by the modest 155 Scenar's bearing surface and overall mass,as extrapolated to the 180 AccuBomb in regards to same. She's got far more drag/mass and the only chronograph that won't realize those facts reliably,is the Imaginary one housed betwixt your ears.

180grs minus 155grs,reliably yields 25grs and them differences at like BC,constitute less drop/drift,due simply to the increase in speed at like pressure.

Keep that Imagination cranked up,you're doing soooooooooooooo "well"..................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I see the above bait worked like a charm...

[Linked Image]

Sorry Schtick... you make it too easy..

I'm spending too much time having fun at your expense...

that anonymous PM I got about Child Abusin' you was spot on..

child abuses is immoral, even when the child is over 40...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep telling yourself,whatever you think it is,you most gotta hear.

I'll happily roll facts along,to quell your Imagination...............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Keep telling yourself,whatever you think it is,you most gotta hear.

I'll happily roll facts along,to quell your Imagination...............

you happily Roll Along.. kinda like a flat tire roll along?

we'll we agree on that..

see? isn't dialog wonderful! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're in so far over your head,you need daylight pumped to you..................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're in so far over your head,you need daylight pumped to you..................

in over my head with who?

YOU?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
thats a good one Schtick..

see the bait is still working and you still aren't learning..

[Linked Image]

part 2...

Last edited by Seafire; 01/29/11.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts is facts and your Imagination cain't hang with them constants..............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Facts is facts and your Imagination cain't hang with them constants..............

[Linked Image]

part 3.

its like catching the same fish over and over...

one that is too dumb to figure out 'quit biting the hook stupid'...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This will be funny and fuel for your Imagination.

Cartoons is as close as you'll ever come to doing and is a touch well beyond "poignant".

Laffin'..................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seafire, are you going to add ANYTHING of value to this site or are you just here to hump Stick's leg?

Seriously, your shtick is getting far beyond merely old. You live in gorgeous country, get outside a bit and unwind.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Seafire, are you going to add ANYTHING of value to this site or are you just here to hump Stick's leg?

Seriously, your shtick is getting far beyond merely old. You live in gorgeous country, get outside a bit and unwind.

point taken..

naw, he's back on ignore.. he proved all my theories about him..
300 times or so..

Pm follow up sent to you...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Theory being,that you're couch riding abilities and Imagination,are less peer...all of which is fact.

Congratulations?.................

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by nsaqam

point taken..

Obviously not, as you are still at it.....

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Admittedly,her taste in men couldn't be faulted.

Laffin'...................

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Admittedly,her taste in men couldn't be faulted.

Laffin'...................

Thanks for that.....I'm gonna hafta wash my Minds Eye with bleach now to flush that picture away......

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know better than to horn her up.......................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
speaking of horning people up this might do it for some [Linked Image]

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lmartin
speaking of horning people up this might do it for some [Linked Image]

TFF!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the 300 RUM is a good thing. It has more down range power than any 7mm I have ever shot. I like throwing large chunks of lead, I prefer 180gr to 200gr bullets. Plus I have a AR-10 in 308, 308win bolt action and a 300wsm and I can run the same bullet in each of those if I want.

Last edited by hamr56; 02/01/11. Reason: spellin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
exactly!

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i read somewhere that it was all about the bullet!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
i read somewhere that it was all about the bullet!

I read that too. I think it was in field and stream a while back

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could be? I'll check.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 670 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.