Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The way I hold the rifle, I like the scope mounted slightly rearward and the 5+" VX-3 tube doesn't give much wiggle room. I don't like to crawl the stock to see the scope. I would need an offset front base to achieve that with this rifle. Ed Brown uses 8-48 screws and a new Talley base would have to be altered for the fatter, heavier duty screws. I could do all that, just don't like the look of offset bases and will find a scope to fit bases as supplied from the manufacturer. Swaro scopes are longer bodied and will fit without a problem. Have about decided on the Z5 3.5-18x44. Costs more than I wanted to spend, but does what I want it to do and with style.

DF

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my scopes mounted back towards me too. I can relate. It's not a popular scope mounting position around here. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I like my scopes mounted back towards me too. I can relate. It's not a popular scope mounting position around here. smile

Generous eye relief is the great equalizer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I'm wondering now, if the tube body is long enough to mount on a mag length rifle without offset rings or mounts.

Just get a picatinny rail so you can mount the scope you want where you want, not "the only place it'll fit" or choosing a scope you didn't want as much because it "fits better."

Once you get over the mental hurdle of "tactical stuff is SOOO UGLY!" and discover the practicality of it, these "tube length, short action/long action, offset this, offset that" thoughts seem quite silly--especially for a long range rifle. Also there are a good number of scopes that really need a 20 MOA base to be of much use at long range. Being able to swap scope around quickly and easily, being able to check the tightness of all the screws in the mounting system quickly and easily without losing zero, the brute strength that is especially nice when using big scopes on hard kicking rifles...the list goes on and on.

Give it a try. Then buy the scope you want without "tube length" worries.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Would appreciate input and advice.

Thanks,

DF

Out to 500 yds, you can ignore altitude

Bad advice

Why is that?? At typical hunting elevations, it will not result in a miss on an animal bigger than a rabbit!

If one lives and hunts at sea level with his rifle sighted in there and decides to go hunt some exotic creature that lives at 14,000' I guess you might have several inches less drop but since that is about as unlikely as it gets, I basically discounted such an atypical event.

The likely scenario is going from 1000' to as high as 9'000 feet.

If you take the ubiquitous 7mm Rem mag, with a 160 grain Accubond @3100 fps [I have no idea if this is a accurate velocity figure or not] sighted in at 250 yds at 1000' elevation you get the following drops at 500 yds:

1'000' elevation -29.3"
9'000' -26.8
11,000' -26.3

This is a whopping 3" at 500 yds. It won't result in a miss at a deer or elk sized target. I say you don't need to worry about it. If you are that worked up, it is easy to remember that I am 3" high at 500 yds...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
CDS made easy is a nightmare. I bet we will see some kind of restrictions on hunting big game with turret scopes because of them...Making an 800-1000 yard dial for every tom dick and harry that sends in their corloct info is gonna be a GD disaster.

Just my opinion

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Generous eye relief is the great equalizer.

True! That's one reason I've moved away from Leupold. Great ER at low powers, terrible at full power.

Most of the time, when guys are talking scope position they are really talking head position. They have a preferred head position, and mount the scope accordingly. I really can't abide crawling the stock; it's uncomfortable for me.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

You wiil get the hang of it.

Keep up the good work.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an Ed Brown Damara in .300 Win Mag. It's light, around 7+ pounds with a brake. I'm shooting 180 gr. Ballistic Tips at 3,000 fps, approx. 1/2 MOA. I'm looking for a trim, light hunting scope with a ballistic turret, programmed for this load. Am looking at the Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40 CDS and the Swarovski Z3, 4-12x50 BT Reticle. I know there is a price spread there, but like both scopes. Cabelas has this Z3 on sale for around $1K, the Leupold will cost around $600 or so. The Leupold custom turrets are less expensive than the Outdoorsman's custom Swarovski turrets. I don't want the big, M1 Leupold type target turrets, just a simple one with a stop at 100 yds. Don't expect to shoot much over 500 yds. May need an extra turret for high altitude hunting.

Thanks,

DF

The One Load Wonder BDC's are a great gag gift,every Cough Silencer oughtta come with one.

Would love to hear how someone is stupid enough to screw a MOA scale up,with all staring them right in their crossed eyes..................

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You get one right once every thousand posts or so, I agree

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to miss and dumb as you are...even you know that..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Would love to hear how someone is stupid enough to screw a MOA scale up,with all staring them right in their crossed eyes..................

[Linked Image]

So that little "U" on the turret stands for "Under"??? And I dial it that way when I want my next shots to go under the previous one???? grin

Believe me 'Stick, there are some out there..... grin

Last edited by Pete E; 01/20/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That they exist,is the BEST part..............(grin)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm dumb ...even you know that..............

Yes I do know that...it is quite obvious, but just keep tryin'

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imagination is all you've got and that sure as [bleep] ain't never not gonna be funny.................

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Folks making yardage turrets but refusing to do an MOA turret would show their true ignorance IMHO... MOA has been working for years....

rost495

+10 on your comment! Just another 'scam game' to sucker those in what don't know apples from sweet taters!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's akin to a tape measure,less markings of a known scale value..................(grin)

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Thanks,

DF

Out to 500 yds, you can ignore altitude

Bad advice

Actually zone dependant... from where I"m at, like you, I"m 200 feet ASL basically... take that to 12,000 or so... my zero is off enough to miss to my tastes... living at say 8K, going to 12K, out to 500 I"d doubt that altitude makes much difference at all. Elevation angle of shot could always make a difference.

Edit to add, I'm not so sure its the elevation difference that messes my zero's up, I just know to check them, that they are usually hitting about 3-4 inches higher at 100 than at home.... but humidity, temps can factor in of course as well as pressure.

rost495

I'm at 80' ASL! When I get a 1000 yd. zero here on my Palma rifle shooting a Sierra 155 gr. Palma bullet at 2950 fps and go to Raton, N. Mexico at the Whittington Center to shoot....that home zero is 5 full MOA TOO HIGH! Raton is at 6300' ASL!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder why they work so well for the guys who actually kill schit at long range???

Must just be some kinda magic. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imagination,is far more powerful than facts. Funnier too!

As you so eloquently quantify,ad nauseum..............

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.