Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm looking for a light weight carry around rifle, and just can't justify a Montucky money wise. The recent T3 Ultra Lite thread got me to thinking. How light can a fella get a T3 to go? Flute existing barrel, and bolt. Talleys, and the Leupy lightweight scope. Aftermarket stock, Edge perhaps. Would it come in around 6 pounds?

Thanks.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A std T3 SS/Syn is 6lbs 6 oz with mounts.

You probably could do all the trick stuff, sans the stock and get to 6.5lbs with scope. Pretty light for the coin.

Bone stock with a 10oz scope your at 7lbs scoped......

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
but why would you? after all that you are at or above the price of a montucky, and the Tikka is still worth only what it"s worth, maybe less?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because the Tikka will shoot. The Montucky, well, who knows?

And at or above a $1200 'tucky, I don't think so. Let's stick to the original question.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

R
Rman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I would be very fortunate to get a Montucky in Canuckistan for $1200.00. IF I went that route it would be a 7WSM, and they are rare and expensive, hence the T3 route.

R.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukonal

And at or above a $1200 'tucky, I don't think so. Let's stick to the original question.

BS, mine didn't, and there have been other people here who've reported the same thing.

What does a T3 cost up in Canada?

The Montana would be the right choice IMO.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam

BS, mine didn't.

Are you still crying about your Tikka? I thought you were done beating that drum.

The guy asked an honest question. If you guys can't answer that question, why not just keep your fingers off the keyboard? Looking over your posts lately nsaqam, seems you find more pleasure in fighting and arguing with people, than trying to help people when they ask for it.

How much you wanna bet, instead of saying yes, or no, to his question about it making weight of 6#, you continue to argue?

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

R
Rman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

BS, mine didn't, and there have been other people here who've reported the same thing.

What does a T3 cost up in Canada?

The Montana would be the right choice IMO.

A T3 costs, IF I bought new, around $800.00. I could buy roughly two/three of them for what I would pay for a 7WSM Montucky. I believe that I would like the Tikka more, as it has (GASP!) a detachable magazine, and I can make weight with a long action in 7mm RM.

Thanks for info, you've been a big help.

R.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeh I would get the Tikka,can you get a T3 Super Lite where you are located? Or a rem model 7 would be good.

Last edited by highridge1; 01/11/11.

1 and done
R
Rman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
No Super Lites up here, I wouldn't expect to see one. I'm thinking I can do more, with less going with the Tikka over the Model 7, hence asking the question.

R.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

BS, mine didn't.

Are you still crying about your Tikka? I thought you were done beating that drum.

The guy asked an honest question. If you guys can't answer that question, why not just keep your fingers off the keyboard? Looking over your posts lately nsaqam, seems you find more pleasure in fighting and arguing with people, than trying to help people when they ask for it.

How much you wanna bet, instead of saying yes, or no, to his question about it making weight of 6#, you continue to argue?
+1000! Find a new hobby..

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Send it out to Corlanes in Dawson Creek, BC - flute the barrel and bolt- BLING it a bit. Fluting will lighten it up. Corlanes (Rocky Mountain Rifles) does good work. I kow b/c they flutd my Sako m75ss 300WM I bought new from the in 1997, fluted another rifle of mine and built a 338-06AI based on a Sako m75 Greywolf - fluted barrel, powder coated, etc.. I have a couple Tikka T3 rifles in the LS model....my preference in the T3's...dont carefor their syntetic stock.

Heard now you can gt a MacMillan Edge in a Sako Hunter or Classic stock for the Sako A7 rifle...might be somthing to look into!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had talley lightweights on mine originally, and an 11oz scope, and it was really light, and handled well. I added steel bases, steel rings, and a little heavier scope, (14oz?) and it still is lighter than my rugers, remingtons etc.

I have seen Tikka bolts fluted, and I imagine you could send your action off and have the barrel fluted too if you shopped around. That would shave off a little more.

I was leary of Tikkas till I bought one. I love that gun!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rman
I'm looking for a light weight carry around rifle, and just can't justify a Montucky money wise. The recent T3 Ultra Lite thread got me to thinking. How light can a fella get a T3 to go? Flute existing barrel, and bolt. Talleys, and the Leupy lightweight scope. Aftermarket stock, Edge perhaps. Would it come in around 6 pounds?

Thanks.

R.

3 of my Tikka T-3 Lites advertise 6.3#. I guess you could lose that .3#. Flute the bolt, slab the action, and cut 2" off the 22" barrel (and re-crown). I don't think the Talley's would gain you a weight advantage over the factory rings. That said, I've still installed them on all 5.

Not sure if an edge would weigh less than a factory stock, I guess it wouldn't be hard to find specs for both. I would weigh one of mine, but I've painted and webbed every one. McMillan is now inletting 3 stocks for the Tikka T-3. Good luck, and post some pics when you're done.

Last edited by yukonal; 01/12/11.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Short action? IMO, instead of fluting the stock barrel, I'd whack off 2", flute the bolt, maybe a Kampfeld aluminum bolt nob, Talley lites, and 11-12oz scope.

Should put you well under 7lbs ready to fire. Pretty damn lite if you ask me, and probably shoot damn good with some load development.

Be intersted in seeing some pics whatever you decide.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by slg888
maybe a Kampfeld aluminum bolt nob, Talley lites, and 11-12oz scope.

The factoy bolt handle is actually pretty slim already, and the ball at the end is hollowed out underneath. Don't think you could lose any weight in that area.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Flip flop recoil pad should lose about 3 ounces.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.