Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thinking about getting a Semi-auto 223 rifle .
My uses for the rifle would be for shooting coyotes and deer Hunting(200 yards or less).
I want a Lightweight rifle and an accurate rifle and a reliable rifle.Rifle would be scoped ,more than likely with a Leupold 4x.
I have seen ads for the Kel-Tek which certainly is lightweight enough but I dont know about its accuracy or reliability.
Ruger Mini 14 seems a little heavy and the AR rifle a lot pricey but would like some input from those who have used them as my experience is with mostly REMINGTON 742 and 7400 rifles and with Bolt rifles.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Of the lot, the AR; hands down.

The Rugers NORMALLY pattern, not group. The K-Ts are more accurate, but nowhere near as good.

The AR is so easily the pick of the litter as to make the discussion moot.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
bcr..,

I've shot and reloaded for numerous AR's. Most carbines have shot around 1.5 inches at 100yds with the right load. No mini 14 I've ever shot or seen shot comes close. I even had a gun dealer offer me 2 custom barreled mini 14's for my Colt AR. He thought he could save money over an AR by custom barrelling a mini 14,he tried twice....didn't work.

No experience with Kel-Tek anything, so can't advise.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AR, all the way.

You should be able to find one used for ~$600, new for under $800. For you use don't get caught up in thinking only an LMT lower or Olympia sucks or any of that stuff. Virtually any fairly recent factory-assembled AR will be accurate enough for what you describe, and reliability and durability are a non-issue for your use.

I mention that because if you start googling AR's it's easy to fall into the trap where you are basing decisions on your 300-round-a-year coyote killer, on what guys are saying about rifles that get run full-auto in combat for years... most of the arguing over minutia with AR's has no real relevance to the casual user.

IMHO. I've only owned a few so season my opinion with as much salt as you see fit. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's your budget?

I'd concur with the AR (the only platform I'd consider for a self loading .223), and suggest getting a complete lower from Rock River with their NM trigger, and have White Oak armament build a match upper with their special purpose rifle barrel, and a mid length carbon free float tube. This will give you a light reliable rifle that should have little problem shooting 1/2 moa with tailored loads. Upper and lower should fun about $1000 and change.

If you're not willing to spend that amount of money, I'd say just get a bolt action. I've shot accurate rifles and am just not willing to compromise, and you don't have to with a good AR.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The AR is so easily the pick of the litter as to make the discussion moot.

10-4

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The easy pick would be the Mini with the new fatter barrel. They shoot just fine accuracy wise, and you'll never have a problem with one working with little or no maintenance. Resale is easy and high, and they require no adjustment in shooting style when switching between bolt and auto platforms.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you have to ask, you obviously don't have an AR yet. Everyone should have an AR, they're America's rifle. Get an AR.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with the AR also. I had a ranch rifle that was not accurate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Me too.

I like the ergo's of Mini's, but a rifle's got to shoot to be interesting.

AR's are interesting.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
get a stainless upper or make sure the chamber and barrel are hard chromed if you want to use it in the elements off and on for a long time and if you expect it to work for a long time. .

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There really isn't a discussion here...

If you get anything other than an AR you're missing the boat.

I'd also suggest a WOA upper...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any one run one of these? On the spendy side but light.

http://www.christensenarms.com/ca-15-predator

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a good read about the newer mini's. Improvements to the Ruger Mini from rifle shooter mag.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FN Scars compete favorably with AR's as far as Accuracy goes and are superior in some respects. They are unfortunately far more expensive.

In your price range an AR-15 is definately the way to go.

The only completely unreliable AR-15 I ever had was an Olympic - it wouldn't fire more than 3 shots in a row without jamming. Other brands have worked far better.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
AR15 hands down. Rock River, DPMS, Bushmaster, Remington, Armilite,Stag,the list goes on. Pass on the Olympic Arms.
Get one with a fast twist, say 8, barrel of the weight you are after and spend any extra $$ on a great trigger. From there it's just like any other rifle, you need great optics to make a great rifle shoot well. I've been shooting AR's for 30 years and have owned close to 50 of them.
The article on the new Mini 14 is hilarious, it claims the new Mini is accurate, then shows an average of nearly 2.5" for all the groups fired. None were under MOA.

Last edited by Jim the Plumber; 01/11/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber

The article on the new Mini 14 is hilarious, it claims the new Mini is accurate, then shows an average of nearly 2.5" for all the groups fired. None were under MOA.

True. As mentioned above the worst AR-15's usually shoot better than the best Mini-14's. Mini-14's handle nice and are decent plinking or maybe 100yd coyote guns. AR-15's can be SERIOUSLY accurate................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bcraig

My uses for the rifle would be for shooting coyotes and deer Hunting(200 yards or less).
I want a Lightweight rifle and an accurate rifle and a reliable rifle.Rifle would be scoped ,more than likely with a Leupold 4x.

Get a BAR in 243win.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The new Minis shoot just fine, as do many of the older ones. Accuracy isn't a problem anymore with the new series.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've heard that the new Mini's are more accurate. The older ones were pretty doggy regarding accuracy. My Ranch rifle has a 24" custom stainless match grade barrel with brake and the action three point bedded by Accuracy Systems. It has a really nice two stage trigger. I broke it in like instructed and it cleans up real easy. It has 1:9 twist and loves the new 65 gr. Sierra Gamekings. Best powder so far is Ball C, 26 gr, at around 3,000 fps. Next best is Varget. I put a cheek piece on the factoy stock and applied a black, crinkle finish. With a bipod, it's a mean coyote and hog killer. The above load shot a .330" group at 100 yds and will shoot 1/2" all day. The Gameking is an interesting bullet for hogs and 'yotes with good write ups. Can't wait to bag some after deer season closes. I also have AR's but like the way this long barreled, custom Ranch Rifle feels and shoots. Just out of the box, AR's are probably the way to go for best accuracy, but I've always had a thing for the Mini's.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 53 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.