Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know of Klaus Hiptmayer, a gunsmith in Canada?

A rifle at a show was labeled as made by him.

Do you have a picture of his work on bolt action rifles? Besides whats on his site of course.

Thank you.

http://www.herosarms.com/Klaus_Hiptmayer_Stockmaker/index.htm

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Didn't the guys on AR have the info for you?
Butch

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While some responded none so far have posted a picture of a Klaus Hiptmayer rifle.

A rifle that I have is identical to one I just saw at a show. The one at the show was labled as made by Klaus Hiptmayer.

The thing is that two smiths here have told me that my identical rifle was made by another smith!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I knew Klaus and his late wife, Hiedi Marie, quite well when they were working in Kelowna BC. Klaus was an excellent workman with a bit of an antipathy toward power tools. His stocks were of the American Classic style and all were carved from the blank.
Engraving was done by Hiedi and was world class. I used to do some work which was outside Klaus' area of expertise/interest and I enjoyed seeing him turn a blank into a stock. I was amazed at the speed and ease with which he inletted, shaped, finished, and checkered a stock; all without turning on a power tool of any sort.
I wish I had some pictures to send you but I don`t.
The style of stock and rifle produced by Klaus was generic enough, at the time, to have been duplicated by any number of other makers. If the rifle was engraved, Hiedi`s engraving would be fairly recognizable and might even be signed. I don`t recall Klaus marking his stocks in any particular way; though he might have done so. GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the feedback on Klaus Hiptmayer so far.

Here is a picture of a gun that was done by Hiptmayer. It's the same as one I have that I am so proud of.

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of a takedown rifle by Hiptmayer.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
why would anyone move from Kelowna to Quebec?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Probably because that is where he and his wife lived since coming to Canada except for their time spent in Kelowna. In addition, there were some management/ownership issues with the shop with which they were affiliated in Kelowna. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi, I found this post on GOOGLE, I knew Klaus he built a beautiful custom stock for my father who sporterized a P1917 many years ago, Hiedi did the engraving, beautiful rifle! My father gave it to me 20 years ago and I have killed many moose and deer with it. It is my favorite rifle of all time. I can upload some pictures if you like?

Cheers ~ KillerBee

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/23/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good morning to you, I trust that wherever you're at this morning that you're well.

Welcome to the 'Fire from the finally sunny skies of the south Okanagan.

While I make it a practice to not speak for anyone else, I'd love to see the photos of the rifle for sure.

There's a bit of a trick for posting photos here but if you're not an inept boomer like me, the instructions are at the top of each section here.

All the best and again welcome here.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Dwayne, Yup I am an inept boomer as well! lol

I will try this way:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Where are the instructions?

Cheers

KB

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are to more:

Cheers

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killer Bee;
Thanks for the photos!!

My goodness I like so much about that stock - but full disclosure I've got predominantly Teutonic heritage AND have a long time love of all things Enfield - both the Pattern 14 and P17 versions.

The checkering and the shape of the pistol grip are especially cool in my view.

I'm in the middle of restocking a Pattern 14 in .303 now actually and have been arguing with myself whether to change out the bolt handle or leave it as is just because it's unique.

I rather like that they chose to leave it on your rifle.

Thanks again.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for your warm reception, Dwayne.

I have some Teutonic heritage as well; my great grandfather was from Hamburg.

Klaus did an exceptional job on the stock. As I mentioned when my father gave it to me, I hunt with it all the time and it is my favorite rifle. My father never hunted with it. It is very comfortable, fits me like a glove and I've gotta say every animal I have pointed it at has dropped in its tracks. Can't even imagine being on the receiving end in WWI or WWII, yikes!

I have no idea what it's worth, do you? The plate with Hiptmayer's company name engraved in it is Sterling Silver, the stock is Walnut.

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good evening, I hope the day behaved for you and you're well.

Custom rifles and what they're bringing is something I'm not truly up on sorry.

It might well be regional too as in our part of southern BC I'd say that the prices of wood stocked custom rifles has slipped in the past couple of years.

The younger set seem overall to be more into the heavier barreled target sort of rifles with either McMillan type stocks or we're seeing lots of chassis rifles here now too.

While I don't necessarily agree with it, I've also noticed that Enfield actioned rifles tend to be less well thought of - perhaps its the cock on closing aspect so it's different than what folks are used to?

Regardless, anything is "worth" what someone else will give for it of course and both the provenance and family heirloom aspect of your rifle makes it priceless to you for sure - which is very cool.

I'm cognizant I've not answered your question as to the worth - again it's not in my wheelhouse whatsoever sorry.

Thanks again for sharing a neat bit of Canadian rifle making history with us.

All the best and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, all I know is that everything I hunt with it feeds me with 1 shot, and that my friend is priceless. It's really neat to hunt with a rifle that is over 100 years old and is as lethal as anything made today.

Best thing about my bsa1917, is that it loves cheap Winchester Super X, so I have been filling my freezer for next to nothing $$$ wise for many years :o)

If you are ever in Edmonton let me know.

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
530 YARDS, with Winchester Super X, fed me for a year :o)

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killer Bee;
Good evening once more sir, thanks for the reply and further photos.

Since I grew up eating Saskatchewan moose, there's fewer things I enjoy eating than a nice meal of moose, even though I've personally only taken a single Okanagan bull.

Some folks call our locals Shiras and some call them Canada moose, so depending on whom you're asking or arguing with, they might be either one, I'm not a moose biologist so can't say.

On the subject of continuing to use older rifles, I'm in total agreement and my main hunting partner who is our eldest daughter is cut from that cloth as well.

Her hunting rifle was a surplus Swede I cobbled together as a lighter recoiling hunting rifle for my father in about '85 if memory serves. He gave it back to me before he died in 2003, saying he hoped that one of the grandkids would be able to use it. Sure enough when our daughters started hunting when they were each 11 and 10 respectively, the eldest spotted the full wood Stutzen stocked rifle in the back of the safe and it was hers from then on.

It'll be 120 years old next year I believe.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the kind invitation, I appreciate it. If you're ever wandering down Highway 97 through the sometimes sunny south Okanagan, drop me a PM and I'll buy you a coffee or if they're open get some of Tickleberries "World Famous Icecream" for you. It's pretty good ice cream if one like that sort of thing.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is SUCH A BEAUTIFUL STORY and BEAUTIFUL RIFLE! I'll bet you miss your father, just like I do :o)

I have a saying about moose: If I were on death row and when it came to my final meal and I was asked what I would like, this is what I would ask for:

A rare Moose burger with old cheddar cheese, sweet onion, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, hot peppers, horse radish, mustard and relish, with Extra-Large Side of Onion Rings and a Chocolate Milkshake. I am a simple man.

Isn't funny how people want to nitpick about most everything these days, especially people with the highest post counts. You should see some of the Cranker Moose we have here around Edmonton.

Bwana, you are one cool dude as well as an absolute gentleman! My pleasure to have met you.

Cheers ~

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KillerBee
That is SUCH A BEAUTIFUL STORY and BEAUTIFUL RIFLE! I'll bet you miss your father, just like I do :o)

I have a saying about moose: If I were on death row and when it came to my final meal and I was asked what I would like, this is what I would ask for:

A rare Moose burger with old cheddar cheese, sweet onion, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, hot peppers, horse radish, mustard and relish, with Extra-Large Side of Onion Rings and a Chocolate Milkshake. I am a simple man.

Isn't funny how people want to nitpick about most everything these days, especially people with the highest post counts. You should see some of the Cranker Moose we have here around Edmonton.

Bwana, you are one cool dude as well as an absolute gentleman! My pleasure to have met you.

Cheers ~
KB< Welcome to the "Fire.
That is one beautiful rifle! I have never heard of the "smith who built but just wanted to chime in on it's beauty.
Great pics of your hunting trip as well. I live a few hours SE of you in Redcliff.
Dwayne is one heck of a great guy from what I can tell having only "met" him here over the years in discussions. Hope to meet him some day.
Jeff aka troutfly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the P-17, as they are called by Canadian Army when they used them in WW2. General Hatcher called the M1917 the best battle rifle of the first World War. He had a hand in the redesign of the Pattern of 1914.(P-14) I chose the P-17 for my attempts at stock work. I left the metal work to Greydog , a true metal magician. The P-14/P-17 used nickel alloyed steel like the pre-war Winchester M-70.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Killer Bee;
Good evening once more sir, thanks for the reply and further photos.

Since I grew up eating Saskatchewan moose, there's fewer things I enjoy eating than a nice meal of moose, even though I've personally only taken a single Okanagan bull.

Some folks call our locals Shiras and some call them Canada moose, so depending on whom you're asking or arguing with, they might be either one, I'm not a moose biologist so can't say.

On the subject of continuing to use older rifles, I'm in total agreement and my main hunting partner who is our eldest daughter is cut from that cloth as well.

Her hunting rifle was a surplus Swede I cobbled together as a lighter recoiling hunting rifle for my father in about '85 if memory serves. He gave it back to me before he died in 2003, saying he hoped that one of the grandkids would be able to use it. Sure enough when our daughters started hunting when they were each 11 and 10 respectively, the eldest spotted the full wood Stutzen stocked rifle in the back of the safe and it was hers from then on.
It'll be 120 years old next year I believe.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the kind invitation, I appreciate it. If you're ever wandering down Highway 97 through the sometimes sunny south Okanagan, drop me a PM and I'll buy you a coffee or if they're open get some of Tickleberries "World Famous Icecream" for you. It's pretty good ice cream if one like that sort of thing.

Dwayne
Hey Dwayne, That is a heck of a rifle your daughter has!!
I trust all is well in your neck of the woods.
Hunting season is here and I'm not getting out much for big game this Fall. Fortunately, waterfowling is ramping up here and we have plenty of access.
I have a new shotgun I'm reviewing for a couple articles keeping me busy. (Can't say more though)
I'll be helping my sone chase down a non-trophy next week though.
Take care, straight shooting and tight lines!
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly;
Good evening Jeff, I hope the weekend was a good one for you and your fine family.

Thanks for the reply and comments, I appreciate it.

We were out this morning looking for black bear, any whitetail buck, 6 point elk or 4 point mulie all of which are open and we're packing tags.

I've been in the process of working on an '06 with a Stutzen stock for her for more years than I care to admit to Jeff, but honestly since the '06 barrel is one that used to be on my walking around rifle, which after I watched her Swede smack enough stuff was also rebarreled to a Swede.. well she doesn't really need an '06 is my poorly made point is all.

We did manage to see some new territory this morning - fresh cut blocks they'd put in - but nothing legal presented itself so we had to be contented with a nice visit and some $10 views, which meant the morning was a wonderful success.

I hope you and your son have a grand time in the upcoming hunts. Good luck on the hunts and even more so on the time together.

Despite our wettest, coolest spring that we can recall in being here 38 years, we're seeing good numbers of grouse - Blues finally again as well as Ruffers and Spruce, California Quail and doves. We're seeing lots of Collared Doves here which are invasive, slightly bigger than the Mourning Doves and have a less than soothing call.

I'm not sure about waterfowl hunting this year and likely we'll not do any since my waterfowling partner got a super tough to get any ram draw for the California's on the mountain behind the house. He moved up the valley a few hours but grew up here, so a few of us locals put in a bit of an effort with him and last weekend we helped him pack a nice heavy broomed ram down. It was a grand hunt for me in many ways because 31 years and 2 days before he killed that ram, I'd killed one within less than a kilometer from the same spot, so lots and lots of memories for me being able to get up there again.

All the best to you and your family again my friend and good hunting.

Dwayne

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Dwayne,
Thanks much. The family is well, busy with life and what not but at least mostly positive things for a change.
My son is quite excited, the hunt is only 45 mins from here. I have been scouting but of course with Antelope, they keep moving.
There are some around though. Thanks for the good wishes.
One of my other boys drew a bull elk tag, also on the Prairie. He is hauling pipe into the same zone so is working/scouting LOL. I'll help him if I get the chance.
I set him up with a rancher friend who has let me hunt deer for years but has a section of land that holds good elk populations too.
My current employer turned down my vacation request for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving week to hunt so I'm stuck with 4 days to hunt the Foothills with my good friend.
Shortage of personnel to fill my spot. It will be interesting to see how they deal with some medical time I require for shoulder surgery. Meanwhile, I'll just target grouse but will have a bear tag and my 300 Win mag along, just in case you see.
Here in SE Alberta, we have tons of geese in particular I'll be focusing on. My writing gig is expanding to working on some serious firearm projects. This particular shotgun is built for geese, perfect so far. Fun way to make some extra money.
Have a great Fall,
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good morning Gents

Sounds like a fun Sunday to me Dwayne and nice to meet you Jeff and downwindtracker.

For years now I have debating with fellow firearm aficionados, which I am certainly NOT!

The debate has been about the 1917 I have posted here and maybe, just maybe I can finally put this issue to bed.

When my father gave me this rifle, I grabbed it and ran out of his house as fast as I could so he would not have time to change his mind and take it back hehehe, and I never did go into any details about what this rifle was exactly.

He told me that it was a bsa3006. I know from my research that bsa is the abbreviation for Birmingham Small Arms, which was founded in June 1861 in the Gun Quarter of Birmingham, England.

This rifle was given to him by a gentleman Lessar LeBlanc when he was dying and a hunting mentor of his when he grew up in Montreal, QUE. The pictures are of my father with Lessar on a moose hunt with this rifle back in the 60's and a picture of my father with his first moose when he was 18, in the 40's. Sorry for the bad picture quality I took the pictures with my cell phone from framed pics on my wall.

So, the Debate: I have been told by several people that my rifle is a M1917 others have said a P1917, but my father told me it was a bsa .30-06 that was so accurate when it came off of the production line, that it was issued and used as a sniper rifle in WWII.

From my research, I have come to the conclusion that it is in fact a bsa, because of the markings on it with the crowns, and to my understanding there were thousands of surplus 1917 Enfield's after WWI and thousands of them were purchased and repurposed for WWII by the British Government and that Birmingham Small Arms Co. repurposed these rifles for the war.

Below you will see the best picture I could get this morning, as well as a picture of what I wrote out of what is marked on the barrel.

If any of you gentlemen can assist me in finally putting this debate to bed, I would appreciate your assistance. Dwayne, I know that you are an expert on vintage rifles so this question may be right up your ally!

My scribbling is of the crowns on top of the BVBPNP. Thank you and have an exceptional Monday to all :o)

Opps of the marking's pics would not take, so please go to the links below:

https://imgur.com/huK9t9a
https://imgur.com/3P231x5

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/26/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day is as mild and still in your area east of the big hills as it is here today and that all who matter to you are well.

Before I attempt to answer anything for you though, please know I don't consider myself an expert on anything truly and certainly not vintage rifles. For sure I've been a lifelong student of most firearms but I'd suggest I'm at the place where I can ask an intelligent question once in awhile on that particular journey.

One of the many other things I struggle with is brevity, both in person and in written responses, but I figure folks can either pick and choose or ignore it all together, the price is the same for them, you know? wink

Here's a true expert on vintage arms talking about how the Pattern 14 rifle came to be.

Were some of the Pattern 14 and P17/M17 rifles used for sniper service? Absolutely they were.

These guys at C&Rsenal are a bit longer video, but they are fantastically well researched.

Pattern 14 then.

And P17/M17 from C&Rsenal

From the videos then we'll see that they were made by Eddystone which was run by Remington, by Remington at their own factory and then some - but certainly not as many were made by Winchester.

While they were never intended to be a first line rifle for either Commonwealth or US troops, there are photos of them in combat all the way to the end of WWII. Some of the .30-06 P17/M17 rifles were issued to Canadians too which makes for interesting logistics I'd think?

After the war BSA ended up with a bunch of rifles and here's where it gets muddy because I'd always thought that the BSA rifles I saw in .30-06 and .270 had started out as P17/M17 rifles - but that "might not" be the case.

Here from the archives of the 'Fire...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/2233057/Some_possibly_useful_info_on_B

So the last video homework assignment is from these folks in Switzerland who are very knowledgeable as well.

If your BSA is more like one than the other then perhaps you'll get a bit closer to answering the mystery of the BSA.

The bolt face and the type of extractor will tell the tale I'd think?

If then the bolt face is a Pattern 14 type with the smaller extractor, then it was converted and/or barreled to what it is now by BSA after it came out of military service. That likely means it wasn't a sniper rifle.

Also, when we look at Forgotten Weapons videos of how the scopes were mounted on at least some of the Commonwealth sniper rifles, that'd be another telltale sign.

I'm not sure if all that answered the questions or made for more?

Hopefully it's an interesting read/listen/watch for you in any case sir.

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once there was a web given over to the Pattern of 1914, Model of 1917, P-17 ,a Remington Model 30 and the Model 720 . I have missed a few as well.

Canada gave Britain 100,000 303 Ross rifles under Canada's Lend-Lease to Britain. This left them short, so they purchased a 100,000 from the States. They chose 30-06 over 303 P-14s. In Canadian Army records it's referred to as the P-17. Those with that name can be called that in Canada correctly. But not in the States. It's commonly referred to as the Enfield in the States, but that is not it's correct name. I have one with Canadian Army cartouche.They were used in Canada.

The States gave 100,000 Model of 1917 to Britain under Lend -Lease, but not much ammo. So they were used mostly by the home guards. That is likely where the BSA ones came from. I have couple, one nice, one plain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello there Dwayne,

I hope your Monday is going AWSEOME!

Thank you for all of your research, I really appreciate you and the work you have done on this weapon!

Based on the bolt it definitely isn’t a P1917 as it is shiny with a smaller extractor, and it was not manufactured in the USA.

Campfire Thread: Some possibly useful info on BSA rifles... “The Enfields except for the P-13 were made in USA, in three factories, Eddystone(ERA), Remington, and Winchester. They were designed at Enfield armory England. The round was 7mm like the .280Ross. British powder wasn't up to the task.

I am now thinking it is a P13, because of all the Crowns stamped on the barrel as well as the bolt action, also the serial# is low M3301.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/huK9t9a.jpg?1[/img]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Small_Arms_Factory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_1913_Enfield

Does that make sense to you, or does the mystery continue. I wish there was a video of the markings, that would eliminate the mystery!

What say you?

Thank you again Sir!

Darren

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good afternoon once more Darren, I still hope your day on that side of the big hills is behaving.

We're well here thus far thanks. I ran up the mountain behind the house for a load of firewood this morning and saw what could be the 11th black bear we've seen since the last week of August. I say "could be" because we've seen a rather rotund fellow a few times in one spot and while this morning's was a tad lower down on the mountain, it surely wouldn't be impossible for it to be the same one. They can really move out when they want to - even fat fellows like this one was.

Someday I'll break down and shoot another one. I do carry a tag every fall and we've got a really generous season spring and fall with a 2 bear limit.

Anyways to your question, I happen to have 3 examples in the safe to look at so before answering I dug them out.

The lone .30-06 is marked on the front receiver ring "US" then under that "Model of 1917" then "Eddystone" and under that a serial number. There appear to be only US proof marks on it as far as I can ascertain. Being a martial arm there's no cartridge designation on it. Other than the stock being altered, the metal work appears to be original.

The one .303 is marked with an RE in a circle on the receiver which means it's made at the Remington factory, then a serial number. Everyone who touched that thing put a proof mark on it Darren and a lot of people touched it!!! laugh It has enough arsenal markings on it that it'd dull the sun shining on that part of it - lets say that. There are British proofs on it for sure that I recognize. There is no cartridge designation again and on this one as well the metal work appears to be original but the stock has been really and truly altered.

The final one has had the rear sight removed, has been drilled and tapped - by me back when - and if memory serves it was an Eddystone or a Remington, not a Winchester. I had it stamped .303 Br since it's a hunting rifle loaner. Last year I picked up an altered bottom metal and magazine for it and have a stock hanging on the wall that has enough meat that I can make that big action fit into it, so that's on the "to do" list.

Oh - even though it's a .303 Br as mentioned, as close as I could measure the bore was close to .309" so I've been shooting plain vanilla 165gr Hornady .308" Spires in it and so help me it shoots them not all that bad, but admittedly I've only fooled with one surplus powder for loads and didn't step on it's tail whatsoever as far as velocity went. I want to say without looking that the 165's shot best at 2200fps so no barn burning there.

As to where your rifle was made, it's hard to say whether BSA scrubbed off the maker's mark or even if its just a RE in a circle like the one I spoke of had, it'd hide under the front scope base easily, so that's tough to say.

Sorry I can't be more help on this one. Like many military firearms out there, some of them really "got around" so to speak.

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
downwindtracker2;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day out on the coast is giving you all fine weather and you're well.

Thanks for the info on the Pattern 14 and the multi named .30-06 variant as well.

Sometime back there was a photo on the ether webs of a group of Canadian Army soldiers from Quebec who were staging for the D Day landing. The caption said these chaps were "snipers" but where they got that information is of course open to speculation.

There were two of them that had Pattern 14 or maybe the .30-06 variant P17 rifles. They were wrapped up in burlap like they did then, but the front sights and barrel are obviously not Mk III or No 4 Mk 1 rifles. If I'm not wrong there was a mix of them there too, which I thought was interesting but perhaps the No 4 Mk 1 was only issued to either new troops or if one's Mk III was damaged?

So many questions I have now that I just never thought to ask the veterans who I knew when I was a young man.

Thanks again for the info, I very much appreciate it.

All the best.

Dwayne

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Great looking rifles. Old world craftsmanship.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Dwayne,

You sure know your stuff, I do not know a fraction of what you know, that is for sure!

The crowns look original, I think I will post the marking on a BSA Forum and see what they have to say, but based on the video you sent me, and based on the bolt it is definitely a P14 and not a P17. There are absolutely no American stampings on it anywhere.

Not an easy mystery to solve, I have been working at it for years lol. Maybe this rifle was in one of thoes snipers hands, since it come from Quebec and my father said it was used as a sniper rifle.

By the way I moved out west specifically to hunt bears, I ended up falling in love with them and would not shoot another bear again unless it was in attack mode. Did you see Rod's grizz?

This is one I killed in Manitoba with my bow right by Riding Mountain National Park, a real brute 21 1/4". look at his toes lol.

Again, thank you for all of your efforts, truly appreciated!

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Thanks for the reply and kind words again.

My good wife of nearly 40 years calls me a "data miner" and I'll admit that I am that.

Funny too how small the world gets - your very, very nice bear from Riding Mountain is a place I'm very familiar with as I grew up just west of there in Saskatchewan. We were north of Highway 16 sort of between Yorkton and Roblin.

We farmed there ourselves until 84 when the high interest rates and hail convinced the bank we weren't going to make it farming... so we drifted west to the Okanagan.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you made an Exceptional Decision! :o)

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you made an Exceptional Decision! :o)
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Once there was a web given over to the Pattern of 1914, Model of 1917, P-17 ,a Remington Model 30 and the Model 720 . I have missed a few as well.

Canada gave Britain 100,000 303 Ross rifles under Canada's Lend-Lease to Britain. This left them short, so they purchased a 100,000 from the States. They chose 30-06 over 303 P-14s. In Canadian Army records it's referred to as the P-17. Those with that name can be called that in Canada correctly. But not in the States. It's commonly referred to as the Enfield in the States, but that is not it's correct name. I have one with Canadian Army cartouche.They were used in Canada.

The States gave 100,000 Model of 1917 to Britain under Lend -Lease, but not much ammo. So they were used mostly by the home guards. That is likely where the BSA ones came from. I have couple, one nice, one plain.

Hello downwindtracker2,

Thank you very much for assisting, I am going to check out a site called Older BSA 30 06, it's the markings that are driving me Nutz haha.

What I do know for sure is that it packs a punch, it is deadly accurate and my favorite hunting rifle. I will keep you gentlemen posted on any further findings I obtain.

Wishing you are wonderful evening Sir! :o)

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my two BSA P-17s, I didn't find a factory name. Between the wars they were refurbished, something to keep the armorers busy I guess , since they had interchangeable parts , the parts were interchanged. So even if you find a part with a W, it doesn't mean it's a Winchester, it just means that part is a Winchester. They made couple of million or more of the 30-06 version. It works better than the 303 .

They are very accurate . Between the wars the competitors at Bisley (sp) used the P-14. Bisley(sp) was the British Empire Army rifle competition. General Hatcher considered theP-17 the best battle rifle of the first World War. It was the dough boys main battle rifle.

By for the nicest variant is the Remington M-720, modified to compete against the Winchester M-70. But the war stopped production, they only made about 1500.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very Interesting, one time I dropped a nice bull moose in his tracks @ 530 yards with this rifle. Very accurate and very powerful. I shoot Winchester Super X in 180g out of it. I was told to shoot 165g because the rifle barrel was designed to shoot that grain. I love it that Super X cost me $28.00 a box. My 300 Win Mag costs me over $110.00 a box.

I have said it before and Ill say it again. I can not imaging being shot by my rifle in WWI or II. Your leg or an arm or your head would be blown completely off. Best case scenario in that predicament, is that the shooter would be an excellent shot and death would be instant and painless!

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
off the shelf LE 303 with a mid level scope is getting $500 bills a gun like the one in the pic i think should be somewhere triple that.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good morning all I trust you are as fit as a fiddle and ready to take on this glorious Tuesday

OK, the original picture I posted were taken 25 years. This morning I got off my Duff and took proper pictures, I took the pictures in my kitchen with lots of light with my Canon camera. Now you can see the Markings which have been driving me nuts, there markings should tell the story. There are a minimum of 5 CROWNS stamped on it. I am feeling like British Royality this morning and not the common surf that I am lol

I also joined a site called Shooters Forum that have a thread about Old BSA Rifles

So here you go Gentlemen!

Markings

Bolt with extractor and Crown stamped on the top the serial number underneath

The rifle in its entirety

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well guys, we are getting closer and closer to ending this mystery. Thank you so much for your videos Dwayne, made a big difference now that we know it's a P14

This is what one gentleman said:

That's a P-14 action, barreled by BSA. Was your father in the military in Germany by chance? MANY such rifles were sold to GIs and others through the PX/Officer's Clubs after WW-II

Starting to make sense since his friend was in WWII and he said it was a sniper rifle. So, the barrel as made in England!

Cheers

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/27/22.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Markings Mystery SOLVED after 25 years, here it is Gents!

The barreled action was made in USA. The variety of proofs means BSA had it run through the proof house. It was 'made for' 220 grain bullets but that's a common marking where Brit makers designated the load to be shot.
I met Heidi several times but didn't know the family connection.
The 'sniper story' is a very common one, but I suspect only a story.
There is an odd mark on the left front rec. ring that I can't see well. Is that a crown BV?
I do see what looks to be a 9 dot 50 'date'. The dot between numerals is used quite a bit for dates of proof but I've not seen it on a sporting rifle before.
Where are you seeing BSA? BSA did import surplus rifles but were better known for their own actions.
Coming from Canada confuses it some, but the Brit proofs means it was proofed at least once and possibly proofed again after a re-blue.

Crown over BV means the incomplete rifle was seen by the proof house and looked fine.
Crown over BP means the proof house is inspecting a rifle barreled action ready for proof.
Crown over BNP means it was shot with a nitro proof load and passed.

Thank you all again for helping to solve this mystery that have been plaguing me for many years!!!

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/27/22.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The British were behind the Americans when it came to powder chemistry . To maintain accuracy, they used "Enfield" style rifling , the lands are very broad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well gentlemen, I FINALLY now know exactly what my rifle is, the serial number gave up its secret! grin

Serial Number H3301.

This rifle is a BSA Sporterized P17: https://www.airgunspares.com/whats-my-bsa

H​ - P17 Military Rifles Sporterized .30'06 Springfield​ - 1949 - 1953​

You have no idea how many people agued with me on one particular forum, telling me that it was a P17 and not a BSA, when I told them it was a BSA. My father told me it was a BSA, and these gents made me question what my father told me. Should never have doubted my father, he was actually a very intelligent man!

He was the President of the Montreal Skeet Club for a time, he was also a Director of the Atlantic Salmon Association. He was also the best Shotgun wing shot that I have ever seen.

My father also bred and trained English Setters and sold one of his dogs for $28,000.000 USD as a stud dog after it won many big field trials in the USA.

The first time my father took me hunting I was 5 years old, he let me shoot the shotgun and it blew me off my feet lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/28/22.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, I just learned something about my two BSA P-17 sporters !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never thought I'd see one of Don's posts get resurrected and taken for a ride.... lol

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi downwindtracker2, hope you day is going GREAT!

For many years I did not know how to describe this rifle because the British Markings threw everyone including me off.

Do you hunt with yours? Are they deadly and accurate like mine?

From this day forward this is how I will describe the rifle: It is a Springfield P17 that was Sporterized by BSA between 1949 and 1953 and restocked by the Stockmaker Klaus Hiptmayer and engraved by Heidi Hiptmayer.

FYI, This is what the markings and Crowns represent:

Crown over BV means the incomplete rifle was seen by the proof house and looked fine.
Crown over BP means the proof house is inspecting a rifle barreled action ready for proof.
Crown over BNP means it was shot with a nitro proof load and passed.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Never thought I'd see one of Don's posts get resurrected and taken for a ride.... lol

I hope that is a good thing? hahaha

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good morning BC time - afternoon on your side of the big hills.

I believe you meant to type in Enfield and not Springfield and otherwise you're good to go with the description I believe.

Thanks for the link, all the best and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Don had, well a certain reputation.

The resurrection was decidedly pleasant in comparison.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fron my researsh
KillerBee;
Good morning BC time - afternoon on your side of the big hills.

I believe you meant to type in Enfield and not Springfield and otherwise you're good to go with the description I believe.

Thanks for the link, all the best and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Hello there Dwayne, I trust your day in beautiful BC is going great and correct~

Only thing I have to find out is which manufacturer made mine, Remington, Winchester or Eddystone! Still more work to do! lol

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Teal;
Good afternoon my old cyber friend, I hope the day down your way is going well and you're all in the peak of health.

My day has been absolutely exceptional thus far, as for the first time in perhaps a decade now I got not one, but two bull elk yelling back at me at the same time. Then the range cattle down the valley a bit heard the ruckus and joined in and finally some coyotes decided there needed to be a high harmony part sung as well. Happily no bulls showed themselves so no tough decisions had to be made Teal as it was really way, WAY too warm to be shooting elk that far from the pickup.

Anyways sir, I'm having an exceptionally finer than frog's hair sort of day thus far.

Kudos on your most diplomatic response Teal, well done. wink grin

It reminded me of one occasion when I was interviewing an employee who was witness to something or other at work, so I got to do the incident reports and interviews, etc.

They sort of hummed and hawed when I asked about a particular event, were silent for a bit and then said more or less, "I'm trying to think of a nice way to put this... but F.. it, here's what buddy did.." laugh laugh

All the best and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good afternoon to you again my new cyber friend.

As mentioned to Teal, my day just could not have gone better thus far thanks and I hope you're having a good one too.

Regarding the maker, depending upon how much polishing BSA did, there "might" be a mark under the front scope mount on the receiver ring.

If they got zealous with the polishing, it might be that it'll be a mystery for the ages, you know? wink

Good luck with that quest and your hunts as well sir.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Teal;
Good afternoon my old cyber friend, I hope the day down your way is going well and you're all in the peak of health.

My day has been absolutely exceptional thus far, as for the first time in perhaps a decade now I got not one, but two bull elk yelling back at me at the same time. Then the range cattle down the valley a bit heard the ruckus and joined in and finally some coyotes decided there needed to be a high harmony part sung as well. Happily no bulls showed themselves so no tough decisions had to be made Teal as it was really way, WAY too warm to be shooting elk that far from the pickup.

Anyways sir, I'm having an exceptionally finer than frog's hair sort of day thus far.

It reminded me of one occasion when I was interviewing an employee who was witness to something or other at work, so I got to do the incident reports and interviews, etc.

They sort of hummed and hawed when I asked about a particular event, were silent for a bit and then said more or less, "I'm trying to think of a nice way to put this... but F.. it, here's what buddy did.." laugh laugh

Dwayne

Dwayne, if you ever need any help with the overpopulation of elk in your area, I am only an 8-hour drive away! hehehe

One thing about hunting elk here is that the bush is really thick, and it is nowhere near as beautiful or open as where you are.

If you get an elk, please post some pictures is you feel so inclined :o)

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Teal;

Dwayne

Sir - excellent news on multiple elk interested! Always nice to have choices sometimes.

I completely agree - sometimes there is no "diplomatic" way to say it and you just have to call it what it is. Don and I never tangled much that I remember but I do remember him quite a bit with others.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Thank you, I just learned something about my two BSA P-17 sporters !

Hi downwindteacker2, would it be possible if you could be kind enough to post pictures of your Sporterized BSA's here? I would love to see what they looked like after BSA sporterized them, I have only seen the one my father altered?

Cheers ~ Darren

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal;
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

On the elk thing, we're restricted to 6 point bulls only and a fairly short season. When they first moved in after the big fire we had in 2003 the bulls I bugled in just didn't add up to that on one side. Then the wolves moved in and the elk went silent for years.

The other thing we struggle with here and I suppose elsewhere too this year is it's too hot to get all the meat out without some spoiling when one is solo. That's fine though as I've killed mulie and whitetail bucks in this exact same spot, so if I have to wave to the odd elk that would be legal, I'm not bothered one bit. I'll note that I've done that once and it likely was a legal 6 - it was huge Teal - but I was sweating with one shirt on and 45 minutes from the nearest road - so it got a wave and a wish for a long life from me. wink

For sure I didn't contend with Don either, but some folks seem like they're more frustrated by life than others might be and then they feel the need to take it out on the ether space too at times. Each to their own I suppose?

Thanks again for the reply and all the best in all your fall endeavors, but especially the hunts.

PS;
Whether its calling in coyotes, deer, elk or moose, there's few things I love doing up the mountains more than calling.

I can still see the first bull elk I called in - a really big racked 4x5 - whose rack dwarfed a 6x6 I'd seen a year previous when I had no elk tag on me - because "everybody knew there was no elk there"....

Anyways Teal, this thing came in and it was going to kick my butt seven ways from Friday!!!

He swaggered in like John Wayne walking into a saloon. He was the toughest in the hood and he knew it.

When a big ram walks up to a group of it's peers they do the same thing - it's that "Yah, I'm all that and a bag of chips besides" sort of walk. cool

Oh, lastly the vocalizations that the bulls come up with are just wild. Not always the "usual" bugle and grunt stuff. It's just weird the sounds they can make.

As you can tell, I'm not bothered a whole bunch if there's no cutting up in a shin tangle jungle and then multiple death marches to get it all out. Not that I wouldn't like to eat more elk for sure, because I do love the meat, but like most of us here know, there's a great deal more to our hunts.

Best to you once more.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my BSA P-17 sporter was a donor for a 358 Norma Long Neck . A 358 Norma Magnum on the longer 300WM brass. A project I hope to finish this winter. I have a lot of projects half done. oh well. The P-17 was a low cost donor, of the same metallurgy as a pre-war M-70 at a fraction of the cost. It was also a better fit. The other I find much more interesting, it's the very plain stocked one., regular club. It's the Canoe Rifle. I bought it at a gunshow . The seller said it was his dad's, he also said his dad complained of the kick. I wondered about that at the time. These are heavy rifles. I put a scope on it and loaded the common 4350 180 grain load . It went 2950 !!. There are 300WM that are slower. No wonder it kicked, he was likely using factory 220 grain loads. My load for that rifle is well backed off and still does 2700. It's called the Canoe Rifle because I use it in the canoe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi downwindtracker, I can see this gun being an excellent canoe rifle, especially for the price of them. Accurate and deadly and you can bang them around without worrying about scratches or dings.

With mine I always worry about damaging the stock, and I must admit I have damaged it. Although mine was designed as a keepsake and was put on a gun rack, with a collection of fine firearms and never hunted until I got my hands on it. Honestly the rifle has made my hunting experiences better, because of its Heirloom factor.

It does have a good kick, only when sighting it, never feel a thing when I am shooting at live animals, but that is only because it is a wood stock/sterling silver butt without any padding, I can shoot my .300 Win Mag longer than this .30-06 without suffering, only because the Win Mag has padding.

Nice to finally know what is! :o)

Happy Hunting Sir~

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Dwayne,
It sounds like the heat won't leave you folks be. We are, unfortunately, in the same boat here in the Alberta Banana Belt with temps around 33C the last few days.
Cooling down tomorrow, 27C LOL. Can't find a Hun anywhere in this heat.

Love reading your stories about elk in the yard.

Wish I could load pics on here but I just don't have tech touch. I have some rather large Mule deer hang around, feeding off my Mountain Ash tree. It is covered with orange berries which they seem to favour. Around the edge of town there is a herd of Antelope, often feeding on the shoulder of the Old Trans Canada Highway. Pretty cool to see. Of course they really get the attention of folks just passing by.

This has been a great thread.
Have a great day,
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by troutfly

Cheers ~
KB< Welcome to the "Fire.
That is one beautiful rifle! I have never heard of the "smith who built but just wanted to chime in on it's beauty.
Great pics of your hunting trip as well. I live a few hours SE of you in Redcliff.
Dwayne is one heck of a great guy from what I can tell having only "met" him here over the years in discussions. Hope to meet him some day.
Jeff aka troutfly.

Hi Jeff,

First off thank you for your warm reception to the fire, greatly appreciated :o)

I like your handle, I spent my childhood in part fly fishing for Atlantic Salmon in the Gaspé area in Quebec in gin clear rivers, what fun that was especially when you got to watch a big salmon attack your dry fly (we used Wolf Pattern Bombers) then take it downstream with your reel abuzzing! The only fresh water fish that I have seen to that is Sturgeon on the North Saskatchewan River, that is a BLAST too. My biggest one to date was, 54 lbs

I live in Edmonton, I noticed that there was a Museum in Redcliff, what is in your museum? I took my better half to Drumheller a few months ago to the Royal Tyrrell Museum, what a Museum, 2nd time I have been there and it never gets old! The critters that were walking this planet 250 million years ago are fascinating!

The last time I was in your general area I was in Brooks on a goose hunt, fun, fun, fun!

Do you ever make it up to Edmonton?

Cheers ~ Darren

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good afternoon gentlemen, here is one after it came out of the BSA Armory after it was sporterized, I like mine a lot more :o)

Dwayne, would be nice to see pictures of your elk, when you get him, if you are so inclined

Have a super long weekend everyone.

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/29/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good afternoon sir, I hope you're getting weather you can use out in Edmonton and all in your world are well.

Thanks for the photo of the BSA, I appreciate it.

As mentioned way back in the day I looked at a .270 BSA and I want to say it looked like that? That is to say a decent but plain walnut stock, not all that different from the Remington 721/722 series of rifles had.

If I'm able to find those elk again and if I get lucky enough to find one with 6 points on one side, I'll do my best to get some sort of photo of it for sure. I must warn you that although I enjoy hunting elk a lot, it's been years since I've so much as seen one in the flesh out here, so be forewarned for failure to kill one on my part - again this season. wink grin

Back in the day we used to be reasonably successful at filling our mulie buck tags every year and whitetail bucks when the populations were up as well. The mulie and whitetail subspecies and genetics here don't produce either the large bodies or outsized antlers that the prairie ones do, but we have fun chasing them just the same.

Our local moose herd went from seeing the very odd one every few years to a LEH hunt, to a short immature bull season in September just post rut. Then the populations slid back again and they've kept the immature season, but moved it into November so the locals are tougher to locate then. Again I'll buy a tag most years but it's been a long, long time since I killed a bull. Depending upon whom you ask, we either have smaller Canada moose here or Shiras. I tend to fall into the small Canada moose camp most days, but am not a moose biologist by any stretch so it's just guessing on my part to be sure.

Thanks again for the photo and all the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots a nice deer in Alberta, here is my best one 203 B&C Typical, a real STUD!

Used to be a TON of mullies where I hunt them shot 3 a year with the old BSA, then the government erradicated them because of CWD, then two bad winters used to see 150 a day!

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/29/22.

KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,210
Posts18,466,168
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.