Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is there a rule of thumb as how a pads r value relates to temps you would be
comfortable at? I know their are a hundred variables involved but would be curious what folks have found. For instance a pad with an r- value of 2.5 keeps you comfortable down to 20 or ?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my experience stated R-values are nearly superfluous. I had a Thermarest prolite 4 for about a year (R-value 3.2), and I sleep warmer on both my Z-lite (2.2) and Neoair (2.2) than I did on the prolite with the same bags in a broad range of temps and conditions. I also sleep warmer on the Neoair than I did the BA insulated air core (4.1), which was actually consistently "cooler" than almost every pad I have used--despite having the highest R-value.

I'm not sure how standardized the thermal resistance measurement system is but I know it's all but useless to me. I had to try a lot of different pads until I figured out what I prefer in unique sets of conditions.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What did you come up with Snowy? I was thinking I'd buy a cheaper thermarest closed cell pad (maybe the reflective one) and see if I can make it with that. If I'm not sleeping well then spend the bucks on the neoair. I'd gladly pay an extra $100 for a good nights sleep, but don't won't to spend the money if it's not necessary.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My experience matchs Snowymountaineer's. A Neo Air with a 3/8" Gossamer Gear Closed Cell foam pad on top is the best combo I have tried.

Ed T

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This is an interesting topic. I just purchased my first Big Agnes bag, a yellow wall 0 degree mummy along with an insulated air core pad. BA rates the insulated air core to 15 degrees and says to add another pad for temps below that. My thermarest is rectangular and the bag is a mummy. I haven't tried to put the thermarest in yet butr if it doesn't fit I was thinking of adding a closed cell foam pad and trimming it to shape. I'll be using one of these combinations in a few weeks and I expect to see temps around 0F. I'll try to post me results.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I was thinking I'd buy a cheaper thermarest closed cell pad (maybe the reflective one) and see if I can make it with that. If I'm not sleeping well then spend the bucks on the neoair. I'd gladly pay an extra $100 for a good nights sleep, but don't won't to spend the money if it's not necessary.

I think that's a great plan. If you did end up with a neoair, you can always add a 3/8" or 1/2" ultralight pad like the GG Ed is talking about you'll be pretty much set for as cold as it gets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As SM stated, one just haves to find what works for them. The closed cell pads, IME/O, are plenty warm but give up much in comfort compared to the inflatible pads. For the temps you'll likely be facing in KY, I can't imagine any pad not working. I sleep warm and have used an uninsulated Air Core down to 10�F. Any colder than that and or not packing the weight, I'll also bring along a REI thermarest knock off or if horse packing, have used saddle blankets/pads if colder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (470Evans, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.