Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ZEKEOB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If a guy was wanting to learn how to use a elk call what would be the best way to do so?

Also what would a good call to purchase?

Thanks for any help

For I am not ashamed
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Unless your hunting the rut,your way better off with a good Cow Call..The Hoochie Momma is a good one for those without alot of knowledge of talking to Elk.Just set the dial and give it a push with your thumb.Pretty realistic also.

Jayco

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree with logcutter. No need for a grunt tube unless you are hunting the rut. I've stopped bulls in flight with just a couple of squeeks from a cow call. Once I had a bull come up behind me, nearly ran over me, in response to a cow call. Scared the Holy Beejesus out of me.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sceery-Special-Cow-Elk-Call/739847.uts

Also a good idea to get a tape to practice so you know what it's supposed to sound like.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

ZEKEOB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sounds good, thanks guys

For I am not ashamed
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cow calls are quite effective. When they are really in the mood, one could pull squeeky nails out of a 2 x 4 and they will roar in.

Calling is getting more difficult now, because there are crowds of folks running around way overdoing it.

1Minute
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For a CD explaining things and giving examples of sounds go here: Elknut . They have calls too.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ditto PRM on th Elknut Productions. He has aset of DVD's tha tnot only teach you to call, but explains what each call means,when and how to use it. Probably the most complete compilation of elk calling information on the market today

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure is fun to give a good bugle in late October and see how many hunters come a running up a hill side looking for a bull?

+1 on the Hoochie Momma.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DayPacker
Sure is fun to give a good bugle in late October and see how many hunters come a running up a hill side looking for a bull?

It sure is........

But it's important to plan a good escape route so you don't get shot--some guys have no sense of humor...... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just kidding. It 's the Holidays. But the Hoochie Momma does work great. Sometimes you can find it in a package with several other calls and a DVD which explains how and when to use it.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
+1 on the Hoochie Mama. I heard some cow calls and was sure it was my dad using his Hoochie Mama. Got curious when I started hearing other sounds. Turns out it was a group of cows. They make many sounds, but one of their common ones sounds exactly like the Hoochie Mama to me.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing that I have found with the Hoochie Mama is that mine did not do well in the cold.I have to keep it inside my coat.
You have your choice of three calls with it. What you cannot do is those long nasally calls of a cow in distress or being pushed by a bull

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/31/10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And?

Theirs not a man alive that can be that true Cow or Bull with plastic calls..Some of them are just better than others!

Jayco

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by logcutter
And?

Theirs not a man alive that can be that true Cow or Bull with plastic calls..Some of them are just better than others!

Jayco

Huh? not sure what you are saying.

Anyway, learn to use a diaphragm, I like the primos plate series for the range of sounds. I've heard good things about Elknut's but never used one.

Kent

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Did Skeery go out of busy? They made a good reed cow call, but I have lost two of them and could not find them on the market this past year

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I found their website, looks like they are still in business.

http://www.sceeryoutdoors.com/

Kent

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Hoochie mama is over used your better off learning how to use a mouth call. For 2 reasons a lot of times you can stop elk long enough for a call and the mouth reed gives you more flexibility. If your bow hunting you need to learn to use more than one call. There are a lot of them out there. More important is learning when to use one. A lot of times soft calls are better than a loud call.

Last edited by ehunter; 01/01/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About the only way I even use a hoochie is while I'm just walking - I'll have it in my pocket -to help muffle the volume- and try to sound like a cow movin thru the woods - when ya start hearing replys - quit using it! then just chirps etc on a diaphram call

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
O
O
Its just as important to know when to stay off the call as it is to get on it. The elk will tell you what they want to hear if you listen to them. Every year I meet people who can't seem to shut up when they have a reed in their mouth, and then they wonder why the bull shut up and ran away. I also would recomend getting Elknut's playbook and cd's. Try to learn as many reeds as you can, I tend to carry 8-10 different reeds with me at all times when elk hunting

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Primos sells a three pack of mouth calls and a cd that explains calling elk. The cd is really good and can help you understand what you are saying when calling. I am lucky enough to work somewhere that there are a tone of elk and I am able to try things without sacrificing my hunt. you can see the tips from the cd actually work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.