Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yup and when your ladder falls off the tree while your attaching the cable, or you cut your throat with a saw trying to cut the tree off at 20'!!!!!!! crazy crazy back to the stump grinder. i have been in the logging,land clearing business for many years , and my Brother owns a land clearing business. you would be amazed at the many ways "joe homeowner" can get into trouble around trees !!!!! most of the reason workmans comp is so high in the logging industry is because "Joe homeowners" chainsaw accidents are lumped under logging accidents !!!!!! crazy crazy Don

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Trees are bad news to the experienced, let alone to the inexperienced. Have one friend that was killed by a kick back and another almost lost his leg on diy missions with trees.

Stumps ain't so hard.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Since living at my current location for almost thirteen years, I've lost about half of my backyard trees to disease or ice storms. I've used a local stump grinder service three separate times with good results. Grinding multiple stumps is not much more expensive than one or two since the machine is already set up and operating.

I believe the second and most expensive visit cost me $150. The man removed over thirty stumps ranging in size from a couple of inches to over two feet in diameter. The whole job took about an hour. He used a newer grinding machine with remote control. All I had to do after he was finished was fill in the holes with the dirt and sawdust mixture remaining after grinding. Took me a few hours of moderate shovel work.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
The technique I described was done by a crew from a land clearing company on a neighbors property. I will just assume that having been in business for as long as I can remember that they had some clue what they were doing.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
as a cheap skate, what i do after the main trunk is removed, is cut the stump off as low as possible. even dig around it with a mattock, and cut at or below ground line. put dirt on top, and keep mowing the lawn.

that doesn't answer your question, but it does minimize cash outflow.

the easy answer is to hire a stumpgrinding crew. but that's so plain vanilla. grin

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you absolutely, positively have to get rid of them a stump grinder is the way to go. Around the house, I prefer to cut stumps off a couple of feet high and put a table top on them. If they're rotted out inside fill them up with dirt and plant some flowers in them. (Did I mention I'm cheap and kind of lazy around the edges?)

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cra1948
If you absolutely, positively have to get rid of them a stump grinder is the way to go. Around the house, I prefer to cut stumps off a couple of feet high and put a table top on them. If they're rotted out inside fill them up with dirt and plant some flowers in them. (Did I mention I'm cheap and kind of lazy around the edges?)

yep, they do make excellent outside flower holders. put potting soil or just the potted plant and container inside the hollow center.

nothing wrong with being a bit lazy, in an effort to conserve energy, and reduce expenditures. grin

if one had the motivation, after cutting to the groundline, one could get out there with a battery powered drill and start drilling holes in it, to assist Mother Nature do her work. grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cut the trees at about the 4ft level.
Then a caterpillar and easily push them over, drag them to a pile and once they dry out some burn them to ashes.
Seen this done many times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A logger I know used a half stick of TNT to blow a stump and worked real well, but don't get cocky he had to blow a bigger stump so he figured if a half stick worked well on the smaller stumps he'd use four sticks to blow the bigger stump so planted the TNT lit the TNT off and walla no stump to be found, it was gone, no sign of it. They found the stump a quarter mile away where it landed after it fell through the home owners roof onto his porch destroying the Home owner's wife's favorite rocking chair.

Last edited by W7ACT; 01/17/11.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
crazy crazy, well it takes stumps a long time to dry so you can burn them, you then got to fill in all the holes and clean up all the mess from the dozer or excavator and replant the lawn = $1500-$2000 vs. $200 or so for the stump grinding!! crazy crazy really some of these suggestions are totally without common sense! kinda like maybe i should give economic and law advice instead of something i have done for a living !!!!!! grin Don

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Plastic surgery? grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Burn

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good ideas here guys, thanks. I plan on doing the work myself, I have the time and good health to spend a few days sweating, right now I'd much rather do that than spend the cash.

These are all pretty small, I think once I get the trees cut down and then limbed and cut into burning size logs I'll take a varried approach at removing the stumps.

Maybe do a test so to speak comparing how a coupld of the different methods mentioned work.

In the past on smaller trees I've dug out around the stump and then with a saw cut below the ground height and recovered with dirt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Loggah
crazy crazy, well it takes stumps a long time to dry so you can burn them, you then got to fill in all the holes and clean up all the mess from the dozer or excavator and replant the lawn = $1500-$2000 vs. $200 or so for the stump grinding!! crazy crazy really some of these suggestions are totally without common sense! kinda like maybe i should give economic and law advice instead of something i have done for a living !!!!!! grin Don

Couldn't agree with you more,...some of the suggestions here were just plain STUPID.

Calls for a few lines from "Snag Fallers Ball" by Craig and Terry

.....There's only one ain't married in the whole dad-blame outfit,

She's six foot four and 205, and proud of it,

Her teeth are all brown from a'chewin snoose, she's got cork tracks on her nose,

Think I'm a'gonna marry her, and join the family show.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 01/17/11. Reason: Ain't sayin'

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- β€œSometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BarryC
Dig it out. Most of the roots spread out to the side and few are deeper than 8".

Leave some stump to attach a line to and you can pull them out with a truck without having to do too much digging.

+1 I did the same with the place I bought last spring.

Digging them up isn't as hard as you'd think.

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+100 on the stump grinder

I've bored some holes and dumped some gas on them and let them soak for a while. Next day, dump a little more gas and light-em up.

Few I've done have smoldered for a few days and have ended up 4-6" below the surface.

Life is just one damned thing after another
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
my god some of you all on have dont have a clue about this rasied on wooded farm and still farm and live there and run heavy equiment for a living if all you want is trees gone dozer them burn all a you can and bury whats left of the stumps if space is limted cut then stump grind to your liking. digging out stumps with hoe too works but stumps dont burn very good alone will need to haul off (gets very $$) or bury if you are going to rent a hoe to do this yourself make sure YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING or it will be cheaper to hire some one who does
reread post 15 8-12" trees no dozer needed just cut and grind or take hoe push out with boom and burn or cut stump off if you like and do with as you want burn all you can haul off or bury

Last edited by ldholton; 01/17/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just cut them off 2-3' high & let them rot (it's not like they're going anywhere), when they are rotted pretty good I push them over with the tractor.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, I needed to remove a small black walnut, about 4" diameter at the ground. I dug around it and cut off the lateral roots, leaving only the tap root. I chained on to it about 4' up and hooked it to my truck. The dang trunk bent over 90 degrees and didn't even crack. When I let up, it went right back up again. I had to pull it over again and dig enough to get an ax at the root.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have tried digging, burning, pulling and letting decay do its job, stump grinding is so much easier. Remember the stump in the movie Shane, I had one of those, what a waste of time and energy.

Last edited by n007; 01/18/11.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.