Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

I don't know what he does for a living. If you Google his name you'll find some articles that he wrote for Honda praising their 4WD ATV's. And he's doing some writing for a part of the NRA about preserving hunters rights. And guiding hunts on the ranch.

Maybe he met some nice wealthy lady and settled down as her pool boy? LOL...

GB1

M
mike454 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 1234567
Idahoguy101:

I have often wondered what he does for a living. He seems do do rather well at it, with that large ranch, and about a million dollars worth of very nice double and single barrel rifles.

As far as I know Ross has been a rancher, PH, guide and gun writer. It would appear that he has done rather well for himself.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Met Ross once when I was in college. He sat and spoke to me for a couple of hours over guns and hunting. He was gracious and a real gentleman. Never a bad word about another writer or other folks tastes in guns. Can't exactly say that about some of the other writers on this site. Never the less, I have had the privlege of speaking to him a couple of times on the phone over the years. Great conversation, very helpful in helping me with hunting or reloading questions. He is one of the good guys and I have enormous respect for him. Just my experience and two cents..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold and delivered a rifle too Ross last year at his Elk Song ranch in LaGrande,Or. We spent an afternoon talkin guns and hunting, he is a genuinly nice guy and seems most interested in maintaining his ranch for the benefit of the elk herd. He has an incredibly large herd on the ranch, unfortunately its very difficult to draw a bull tag for that unit, cow tags are much easier to draw and I believe he offers cow and ocasional bull hunts? He tried to lobby the state to impose an outfitters, landowners prefference with no success! Hard to sell hunts when clients cant draw tags.He is absoloutly dedicated to the welfare of the elk!Ross is truly a gentleman and in my opinion one of the greatest firearm authoritys of our times, he is the real deal. I consider it a privelage to have met him and consider him a friend.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really enjoy reading anything he writes. I particularly like his articles on shooting and loading for the large English DG cartridges.

He seems to research his subject very throughly before writing about it.

I especially remember an article he wrote a few years ago about how the Ross rifle bolt could be incorrectly assembled and blow out of the receiver.

I would like to have a collection of all of his articles, along with the pictures of the fine English rifles he published along with his articles.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Seyfried's Ross Rifle article in the Jan. 2000 issue of Rifle magazine, very interesting. I recall him saying you had to really work at F-ing up the bolt reassembly on the MkIII to have it not lock-up and launch back into your grill upon firing. The article indicated he owned 2 Ross rifles, a Model M-10 MkIII sporter in .280 Ross & a very nice cases 1907 MKII Scotch deer stalking pattern rifle in .280 Ross which had been outfitted by a gentlemen from Bristol, England named George Gibbs (IIRC).

His article was my introduction to these fine sporters.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 05/07/10.
L
L
I noticed that no one had mentioned, atleast not that I have found, that Ross also writes for the Double gun journal. Its not accesable online maybe, but his articles can also be found on the NRA website, and several on hrca honda website. There is also a saftey video of Ross on the remington700.tv web site.
If anyone is interested, I also have information about his ranch, Elk Song recently placed on the market.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always enjoyed the writings of Ross Seyfried. I wish him well. I have wanted to hunt with him at the Elk Song Ranch for several years.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lsevenish
I noticed that no one had mentioned, atleast not that I have found, that Ross also writes for the Double gun journal. Its not accesable online maybe, but his articles can also be found on the NRA website, and several on hrca honda website. There is also a saftey video of Ross on the remington700.tv web site.
If anyone is interested, I also have information about his ranch, Elk Song recently placed on the market.

Welcome..........Double Gun Journal=DGJ....
Reread.......just kidding!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I remember correctly, Elmer Keith was Ross's mentor. In one of Keiths books he mentioned a young fellow named Ross Seyfried that ran a big cattle ranch and he didnt know how he found the time to hunt and shoot as much as he did.

I remember reading in a few articles that Ross has a son but I have never seen him write anything. Sure would be nice to see him pick up where his dad leaves off.

IC B3

L
L
Originally Posted by dsink
If I remember correctly, Elmer Keith was Ross's mentor. In one of Keiths books he mentioned a young fellow named Ross Seyfried that ran a big cattle ranch and he didnt know how he found the time to hunt and shoot as much as he did.

I remember reading in a few articles that Ross has a son but I have never seen him write anything. Sure would be nice to see him pick up where his dad leaves off.

Ross's son has several ads in the Double Gun Journal I think for his limited edition Elk Horn pipes, and possibly some other of his projects. There are also several pics of the Ranch in Oregon listed on the cabelastropyproperty website of Elk Song.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's too bad if Ross is selling the ranch. Hope all is well with his family.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
L
Yes Bigwhoop, all is wonderful, thank you for your concern.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really miss the articles by Ross about the 45 LC and the 32 mag. I still reread his articles in old G&A and remember one of his articles in the back of a Rifle Shooter where he talked about using an airweight 38 spl to finish off an Elk and didnt get the penetration due to bullet failure and had switched to a cast bullet.
I would still like to know how those cast bullets are working for him in that 38?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I remember I read my first article written by him when I was 14. Ever since i have followed whatever magazines he has written for and my taste in guns is greatly influenced by his writings. He is one of the most knowledgeable, no BS writers out there that seems less concerned about caving to pressure to write good about everything just to make a magazine some advertising money.

I have so many questions from reading his stuff from over the years I am always wanting to ask him and when I drive through Eastern Oregon I think maybe I'll run into him and we'll have a chat..... I would love to see some of the incredible guns he has. One can dream.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.