Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Sarge Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I know that alot of people like to hunt prarie dogs, but how many of you have ever eaten them? There used to be alot of prarie dogs in W. KS (may still be) and when we would go pheasant hunting, we'd always take an afternoon and shoot a mess of prarie dogs for supper. They are good!

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sarge, thats the same thing I say about Sea Cucumbers and sea urchin eggs... they are good.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'VE HEARD LATELY THAT SASQUATCH AND TOMCATS AIN'T BAD EITHER!

Sarge Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Now see what happens Bullwinkl, here's a thread on gourmet wild game and Squacks comes on and with an off hand remark about one of my ex girlfriends. OK, so what if she did look kinda like a Sasquatch, she had a good personality, and could really cook up a good meal of prarie dog and fried urchin eggs with a sea cucumber salad. Say Squacks, aren't you the guy I seen at Madame Laloo's in Juarez dining on catacos and purritos?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullwnkl, I've been diving in Hood Canal many times and seen the Sea Cucumbers, but the last thing I ever thought of them was that they were edible? How do you prepare those ugly things and what do they taste like? You've got my curiosity up now! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>As far as PD fritters go, I've only shot their shorter cousins, the Beldens ground squirrels and there usually isn't enough left for a meal so I'll just have to take your word for it. [Linked Image] - Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like Sarge has been reading the book King Rat.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
SARGE: THOSE URCHINS AND CUCUMBERS SOUND PRETTY CLOSE TO ARTICHOKES AND PALM KERNALS! AS FAR AS HOMELY LOOKIN WOMEN THAT CAN COOK GO I'M FOR IT! YOU DON'T HAVE TO WONDER WHERE THEY ARE WHEN YOU ARE GONE OFF HUNTIN. AND CATACOS AND PURRITOS CAN ONLY BE DOWNED AROUND SOMEBODY NAMED LALOO WITH A LOT OF WORMY TYPE BEVERAGES INVOLVED! BUT MAYBE YOU DON'T RECOLLECT! LUCK!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheister, Not to butt in but I have had sea cucumber quite a few times in Japan. Served raw, it is like chewing on a piece of carteledge (sp?). Not much taste at all but the more you chew on it, the bigger it gets. Guess you could say it kinda grows on you. Not as bad as some things I have eaten in the part of the world (believe me you dont want to go there) but not on my list of favorites by a long shot. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah TM, you're definitely in the part of the world where they eat every part of the animal. Literally. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm, nothing like a nice hot bowl of chicken foot soup, some uni or even some jellyfish. But, I must draw the line at hogs colons. Not for me. Nope. Fiance keeps threatening to feed me some without my knowing. I figure that gives me even more incentive to learn Mandarin.
<br>
<br>Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Capt e, Some of the more enjoyable ones are things like chicken stomachs, beef tendon, the center of the spinal cord cut into one inch lengths and a delectable little dish the locals call Stinky Tofu. Believe me, if they call it stinky, it raises your appreciation for the word to a totally new level.
<br>
<br>You also get a whole new appreciation for the good old american super market when you walk past an open front butcher shop on one of the back streets here. Every type and part of the animal is hanging on hooks in the front of the store. And I do mean all the parts. No refrigeration. The smell is absolutely awesome. But all said and done, I do love it in Asia. Some things I will not eat but most I do. At least it is never dull. Forget about learning Mandarin, you really do not want to know most of the time! TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shiester you dive the octopus hole out of Lilliwaup? I live just down the road a bit in Union. A friend of mine owns the Hole or should I say the tidelands and beach.
<br>
<br>sea cukes are not bad grits, a lot like octopus kinda takes on the seasoning tastes. They are UGLY to clean you slice the critter open length wise peal out the goop and there it is... bands of striated mussel. rip em out fry up and enjoy.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullwnkl, it's been about 20 years, but yes we dove out of Lilliwaup, Hamma Hamma, and a couple of other places up the canal with a dive club I took lessons with. Sure had some great places up there to dive.
<br>Took a few army buddies up there when I was stationed at Fort Lewis (73-75) and we caught crabs and got oysters by the bucketfull and ate on the beach with some of the local babes. Had a great time until the oysters and beer didn't agree with a couple of us. I can just imagine what the sea cucumbers would have resulted in! [Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The prairie dogs I shoot would have to be eaten with a straw. [Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Or inhaled....that red mist was a PD.

Fish Springs

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 30 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.