Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a A550 powershot, I try every setting to try and get a pic, that looks like i see it... in the light/sun etc... and it don't cut it.. the mtns have to much light in the back etc. but to my eye (& the miss's) the pic would rule ..if only the cam would take the same pic we see... (i will post some pic's, when my pc at home "gets well") but let me know what works for you.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A canvas, brush and paints. grin

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No camera can, because no mechanical lens can duplicate what the human eye sees and how the human brain interprets that data. I suggest you learn to see how your camera sees--I did this when I was shooting alot of black and white film. After a year or so I could "see" in monochrome; that is to say, I could compose pictures and select exposures that would produce a negative consistent with my visualisation of the subject.

It takes time, alot of pictures, and familiarity with your equipment until you begin seeing consistently with what your equipment can capture.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not all bodies are equals(P&S/DSLR both).

I find it rather easy to dope C.Fn functions,to reliably yield what I'm seein'.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the issue mostly may be the camera sensor's limited dynamic range compared to the eyes' If you expose for the mountain then the sky/sunset is blown out: if you expose for the sunset then the mountain is too dark
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/eye-camera.shtml

You might use your histogram to help adjust the camera to capture most of the range and data.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml
But do expose to the right of the histogram
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only thing I use an LCD for,is to [bleep] histograms.

I'm a JPEG SOOC Slut...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are about a bazzilon photo editing programs on the market, some can be had for free on line and others cost well over $1K. They all exist because no camera can "see" the same way you eye sees. Even after you use that software to "correct" a digital image you still need to calibrate your mointor and printer to reflect that correction so the print will be the same. That used to be done in a wet darkroom back in the film days now it is all done inside you computer. The "see as your camera sees" comment is spot on BUT you still need to learn how to adjust that to reflect real life.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a curiousity,which DSLR bodies are you shooting and with what glass?

This could get good................(grin)

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Along these lines, my wife has Nikon F4 SLR's and assorted Nikon lenses from fish eyes to 600 mm. Do the new DSLR accept the old Nikon lenses? I'm just the pack animal for it all so don't know a lot about it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
S
Most lenses that will work on an F4 will work on the pro model DSLR's, though some may have some limitations. If they are autofocus lenses, I think they are all compatible with the D1 through D3's. The consumer level and pro-sumer camera bodies I am not sure about.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The Nikon DSLRs will accept older Nikkors, with certain exceptions. There are tables online that will give you compatability.

I have a Nikon D1x and it will accept all my manual focus Nikkors except those that are non-AI. It will operate in aperture priority with those lenses, but not matrix metering.

I had a Nikon D70 that would accept manual focus Nikkors, again, not those that were not AI (automatic indexing, introduced in the early 1970s), but would not provide metering with those lenses.

If your wife wants to use her older lenses, her best bet would be to buy a used Nikon D1X or D2H, both of which can be found for under $600 at www.keh.com in varying condition. That would give her full, or nearly full, compatability. The fisheye may not work if it is the older model that required the mirror to be locked up when installing the lens.

I love my D1X as I have a large collection of manual focus lenses that, to my mind, are alot tougher than what's on the market today. I also think autofocus is unnecessary for anything but highspeed photography of moving objects.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simply can't be done.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did all day again today.

If only for conversation...............

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks Oregon 45

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
THANKS, for the infoe so far i did not take any pic's this weekend as it was -28 with a 10-15 mph wind.........i did not even look at the windchill chart to see how much it sucked to open skin.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once you seperate your metering from the AF detection point,you gain far more control.

Hint.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot a Canon 5D and a 5D II. Walking around lens are usually the Canon 50mm 1:2.5 Macro and the 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS. Shoot RAW on both and carry both using the Cotton Carry system. Also use the Canon 100mm 1:2.8L IS Macro and the 85mm 1:1.2L II USM for studio work mostly. I also have a Tamron 28-300mm 1:3.5-6.3 Macro XRDi that I don't use very much. I don't like that it is an external zoom rather then internal. Think it has been over 2 years since I've used it. Recently rented the Canon 400mm f/4 DO IS USM and the 500mm f/4L IS USM; nither is a real "walking around" lens. Of the two I liked the 400 best and if I buy it will be the 400. I've been think about a wide angle ever since someone here asked why I didn't have one. Strangly enough recently I really needed one to get some interiors of some old homesteads so I'm looking at the 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. I'll rent it first before I buy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I couldn't go DO on anything and would greedily grab the 500 over any of the 400's,the 6 or the 8.

I seldom shoot my 70-200L 2.8,as it's seemingly a "tweener" focal length for me. The 85 1.2 do sorta appeal for inside Sports with the kids,as our gyms are dungeons and then some. As for copies I've shot in the flesh,I'd greedily take the 24-105L over the 24-70L,happily trading a stop for IS. LOVE my Tammie 28-75 2.8 macro,it is simply incredible. Find myself often toting the 17-40L in the field,due to how it fens weather,especially aboard one of my 1D-series bodies. Prefer it's perspective on my croppers,as opposed to my 1Ds.

Am going to try and shoot this whole R&R with the new Sigma 50mm 1.4,as a means of R&D and thus far have largely refrained stopping it down. Should mount it on the 1Ds,but can't seem to leave the 1D3's buffer rate and FPS at home.

I pretty much live in AI Servo,back button focus,meter separate from the AF point(Evaluative),keep things in high speed drive and in AV Mode as per the norm. Pretty much just run & gun...............

S
S
Originally Posted by Oregon45
The Nikon DSLRs will accept older Nikkors, with certain exceptions. There are tables online that will give you compatability.

I have a Nikon D1x and it will accept all my manual focus Nikkors except those that are non-AI. It will operate in aperture priority with those lenses, but not matrix metering.

I had a Nikon D70 that would accept manual focus Nikkors, again, not those that were not AI (automatic indexing, introduced in the early 1970s), but would not provide metering with those lenses.

If your wife wants to use her older lenses, her best bet would be to buy a used Nikon D1X or D2H, both of which can be found for under $600 at www.keh.com in varying condition. That would give her full, or nearly full, compatability. The fisheye may not work if it is the older model that required the mirror to be locked up when installing the lens.

I love my D1X as I have a large collection of manual focus lenses that, to my mind, are alot tougher than what's on the market today. I also think autofocus is unnecessary for anything but highspeed photography of moving objects.

I would personally stay away from the D2H. (I've never shot a D1X, so I can't comment on that one.) I have a D2H and it is a total POS. We bought seven or eight of them when they came out. (UUgghhh.) Lots of noise in lower light, skin tones are bad, struggles to correct light in certain circumstances and the repairs are double in numbers over our D2X's. My D2H became a lens and spare battery holder after I got the D2X. If you want to go used pro-level on a budget, I would go with the D2X. The two don't even compare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tend to go with more open lens because of my subject of preference which is abandoned tobacco barns, pack sheds and homesteads and mushrooms. Many times I find that I have to prop my cameras to get the shot inside these structures or in dense foliage so the 2.4 is a better choice for me. I know that IS is supposed to give you 1 maybe 2 f stops but that hasn't been my experience. I've carried tripods which turned out to be a royal pain as most of the buildings are overgrown and many of my mushroom subjects always seem to be in the nastiest, darkest crap growing in the area . I find myself on hands and knees easing through blackberry thickets to get inside. I now carry sandbag shooting rests filled with those polly beads that are in beanbag chairs. I used to carry a bunch of craft mirror tiles with light wire stands. I'd line these up to bounce light into the areas of the mushroom flush but now I carry a small 3 watt LED flashlight and a 14 inch collapsible silver/white reflector as a light source. That doesn't work inside a tobacco barn so those shot ends up being a wide open, long timed shot with the camera on bags many times. If someone made them and I could afford them I'd go with 1:1 lenses. To old to "run and gun" now. I mostly creep and carefully select because I only have so many get down and get ups in a day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 33 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.