24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
and SAA clones. Before choosing one, how did any of you all decide on barrel length? 4 3/4, 5 1/2, 7 1/2" They all hold some appeal.

Torn between 7 1/2 being original issue length, and non-military popularity of the 5 1/2.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me the shorter barrel balances up better. I have a Colt SAA in 5.5" Would consider the 4.75 for next purchase. Big plus is they work better when I am on horseback, too.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I half a half dozen Colt SAA, but only one is 4 3/4"...I wish they ALL were! I agree with the above statement, the 4 3/4" just feels better to me.

Todd

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
7 1/2" was the original barrel length. 4 3/4" was considered the "civilian" model, due to its popularity among regular citizens. 5 1/2" was made popular when refurbished SAA's were cut down from the 7 1/2" length and issued to Artillery troops during the Spanish-American war.
The reason for the long barrel was accuracy and history. (Long barrels were the norm for military handguns). In my opinion, the advantage of the long barrel is all in the shooting, and none in the carrying. The 7 1/2" hangs out there, and that extra muzzle weight can be a real help in stilling the front sight for accurate shots. If you've ever packed a full sized gun, well, they always seem to let you know they are there.
Conversely, the civilian version is all about fast action and ease of packing. For all practical purposes, the 5 1/5" is a slightly elongated civilian model.
In standard, non-magnum chamberings, the short barrel adds little in muzzle blast, and handles exceptionally well. You do loose some velocity, and sight radius, but the gun itself is better suited to being a companion.
I think the best place to start is by honestly evaluating your use for the gun. If its going to the range and back in a bag, then the full size will be fine. If you intend to actively carry it, then the shorter lengths are best. If you ever intend to have it save your bacon-which it can and will, then the 4 3/4" is in my opinion the superior choice.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been carrying and using SAA type revolvers for more than 40 years. My choiceof barrel length is based on experience over those years.

Th longer 7 1/2" barrel guns do shoot easier due to the heavier weight and "hang" of the longer barrel. This normally results in better accuracy. What you give up is ease of handling and carry. That long barrel just is just long enough to make hip carry a bit more diffecult. this is particularly true if riding in a truck as the long barrel tends to dig into the seat and hang up on things when entering or exiting. On horseback (or ATV) this is not as much of a problem, but still more difficult than the shorter barrels. When walking it is slower to clear from a hoster and can dig into your side, leg or the ground when kneeling or sitting.

The longer barrel DOES add a few feet-per-second of velosity, but this is seldom an issue at normal hangun ranges.

The 4 3/4" barrel is just the opposite of the 7 1/2" as it is a joy to carry on your hip, is easier to clear on a draw, weighs less and comes on target a bit faster. However, that shorter barrel is less steady when shooting and requires a lot more consintration to hit well with. At normal handgun ranges this is seldom a real problem, but the longer barrel does have a slight accuracy advantage (for most shooiters) when shooting paper or animals.

To me, the 5 1/2" barrel is a compromise that doesn't perform as well as the longer OR shorter barrels....overall. It is lighter and handier than the 7 1/2", but doesn't carry and handle as well as the 4 3/4". Accuracy is better (slightly) than the short barrel, but not nearly as good as the longer. I will say that (for me at least) the 5 1/2" guns look and balance better than either the short or long barrel SAA's. The 7 1/2" is just a bit too slow to get into action while the 4 3/4" guns are just a bit too "whippy"......the 5 1/2" beats both and (once again....to me) is "prettier".

For my use I normally carry a 7 1/2" gun when handgun hunting to gain the better accuracy and dn't have a need for speed.....I put up with the carry problems to gain those advantages. Hunting is normally a more deliberate game that typical woods walking.

For daily use I carry a 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" gun (the shorter gun when riding in a truck, the 5 1/2" when mostly on foot) as I feel the better handling and slight increase in speed from the holster is more important when shooting is more "unexpected".

They all have their uses and I own and shoot all three.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by sandcritter
and SAA clones. Before choosing one, how did any of you all decide on barrel length? 4 3/4, 5 1/2, 7 1/2" They all hold some appeal.

Torn between 7 1/2 being original issue length, and non-military popularity of the 5 1/2.

Probably depends on what it's for, what you might be shooting with it, expected circumstances, etc. Lots of carrying with little shooting might argue for the handier length; vice versa argues vice versa. And the one that balances best for you is likely the one you'll shoot best. IMO, you can't pick by mail; you need to handle each and decide based on personal feel.

-R44

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In the days when the Single Action Army ruled, few people were "schooled" in shooting handguns. The sights were somewhat superfluous. Those who had a clue how to use them, probably didn't have the trigger control to get whatever advantage their "fine" picture offered.

The balance of the long tube made "point" shooting (from an extended arm) at reasonable distances possible when the target was a man. People didn't normally have unlimited funds to practice with, so anything that made it easier to hit the opponent was popular, especially from horseback.

I like'em all.

But I like the short ones better.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5.5 is my favorite, although I have gradually grown fond of the Ruger Bisleys

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image]

This is all the barrel I need. Shoots sweetly as well.
[Linked Image]

Granted, this is only from 10 yards...but it was with one hand unsupported.

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 01/27/11.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer the 5.5" barrels myself, nice balance between the original and modern. Did have a Ruger 4" Montado .357 for awhile to use with my .357 92 clone when hog hunting though.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The OP didn't say which caliber he's thinking of, and it do make a difference.
I find a bore smaller than 45 is too muzzle heavy in 7.5".

My advice is to find all 3 lengths and see how they feel.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FOr me...The 7.5" shot low..the 4.75 shot high..so FOR ME 5 1/2" works in .45LC and .44 Sp

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking into the idea for range enjoyment, walks/possible hunt but not carry nor CAS. In 45LC. Leaning 7 1/2", maybe 5 1/2. Attracted to the history, and the original length or chopped-original appeals.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned a variety of SAAs over the years, and generally prefer the 7 1/2" in .45 or .44, and the 4 3/4" in .38 & .357. I don't particularly like the 5 1/2" in any caliber. That said, since you aren't planning on carrying your SAA, I'd go for the 7 1/2" barrel if for no other reason, it just looks "right".

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by sandcritter

I had the same problem for many years...started looking at SAAs back when I was a kid in the 1950s and didn't buy my first one until about 8 years ago... Since then I've had two 7.5" guns, a .44 Special and .45 Colt, three 4 3/4", a .22 Magnum, and two .45 Colts and one 5.5", a flat top target .22/.22 Magnum.

For grace and looks, kinda like a long legged woman in heels.. laugh the 7.5" is real appealing....just has a nice hang. For balance I find the 4 3/4" best... If you are looking for an all around shooter and to carry you can't go wrong with the 5.5".

I still have one of each...a 7.5" .45 Colt, the 5.5" .22 Flat Top Target and the 4 3/4" .22 Magnum.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
549 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.