Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I have sworn off sub-compact pistols for carry unless they fit into my pocket. If a gun has to be carried in a holster, then you might as well carry a full sized pistol because it takes just as much to conceal a sub-compact as it does to conceal a full sized pistol (especially if we�re talking IWB holsers), and often you�ll find that a full sized pistol can carry better provided it�s not too heavy.

And when it all goes bad, you�ll handle and shoot a full sized pistol much better; so with all that in mind, the LW Commander just makes a whole lot of sense to me.
+1

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have sworn off sub-compact pistols for carry unless they fit into my pocket. If a gun has to be carried in a holster, then you might as well carry a full sized pistol because it takes just as much to conceal a sub-compact as it does to conceal a full sized pistol (especially if we�re talking IWB holsers), and often you�ll find that a full sized pistol can carry better provided it�s not too heavy.

And when it all goes bad, you�ll handle and shoot a full sized pistol much better; so with all that in mind, the LW Commander just makes a whole lot of sense to me.
+1

This is the type of insight I was looking for, thanks guys!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
why would you want to buy a new gun a couple of weeks before a class?

Why not? My 500 Linebaugh is too big for concealed carry so I'm looking for opinions so I can go and shoot a few different pistols before the class

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by huntsonora

+1

I carry a full sized 1911 in 45 ACP as good as it gets IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Kevin,
How many different pistols have the reputation for not functioning when firing with a limp wrist? Is it only Glocks?
That would be one point in favor of the J frame IMHO.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by DINK
Hawkey it does not matter brand. Any 1911 is rolling the dice if it works or not. Buying a glock is a sure bet that it will work.

Dink
What a crock of chit.

I second the motion!! Dink you and Jeff O must be room mates to make a meat stick remark like that about a weapon you apparently know nothin about....FYI

I sold guns for three years after getting out of the AF and next to Mod 29 Smiths the Commander was second overall..we couldn't keep em in stock..NEVER had issues or any returned,they carry nice in leather and never cared what they were fed..

All one has to do is read the threads here. One poster has a new $1000 Kimber that won't run hardball. Read MOGC post about his 1911 starting to break parts at 770 rounds. There are post after post about a finicky 1911's. There not finicky they do not work.

Every pistol guy likes the 1911, even me,but the hard true facts are alot of them will work with nothing but hardball and even then will have malufunctions.

The OP stated that this gun was for CCW. I doubt he wants to go through three,four or five 1911's before he finds one that will work. If you want a pistol to work out of the box all the time bet on the glock. Sure there could be a bad glock but the chances of getting one are much lower.

Dink

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Para makes a real nice small frame.45. I personally carry a Kimber Covert .45 and love it!

Grandpa's Wisdom:"Sunrise is God's time of the day, shortly thereafter all the [bleep]'s wake up"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Hawkey it does not matter brand. Any 1911 is rolling the dice if it works or not. Buying a glock is a sure bet that it will work.

Dink
What a crock of chit.

I second the motion!! Dink you and Jeff O must be room mates to make a meat stick remark like that about a weapon you apparently know nothin about....FYI

I sold guns for three years after getting out of the AF and next to Mod 29 Smiths the Commander was second overall..we couldn't keep em in stock..NEVER had issues or any returned,they carry nice in leather and never cared what they were fed..

All one has to do is read the threads here. One poster has a new $1000 Kimber that won't run hardball. Read MOGC post about his 1911 starting to break parts at 770 rounds. There are post after post about a finicky 1911's. There not finicky they do not work.

Every pistol guy likes the 1911, even me,but the hard true facts are alot of them will work with nothing but hardball and even then will have malufunctions.

The OP stated that this gun was for CCW. I doubt he wants to go through three,four or five 1911's before he finds one that will work. If you want a pistol to work out of the box all the time bet on the glock. Sure there could be a bad glock but the chances of getting one are much lower.

Dink

Has anyone ever had a revolver that doesnt't work?
The more of this I read the more I like J frames!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
The more of this I read the more I like J frames!
Sure. Lots of them. Bought my mother a lightweight J-Frame .38. Brand new, out of the box, it would lock up in double action fire. Sent it back. They fixed it, and I sold it and gave her a J-Frame that I had already had for years and knew worked right. I've had many revolver failures of one sort or another at the range that would have gotten me killed in a gunfight, most from major manufacturers like S&W, Colt, and Ruger. That said, just like with an auto, if you have one that's been working smoothly for a while, it's one you can generally count on. No matter the model, you need to work it out to make sure you can rely on it.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by huntsonora

+1

I've found that I've quit carrying a Commander length bobtailed Dan Wesson in either a Sparks SS or Crossbreed Supertuck and have gone to a Colt Defender in the Crossbreed. While I agree that the full sized grip is easier to shoot I find the extra inch of slide digs into my fat butt/hip while sitting at a computer. Since my day is 95% spent sitting at a desk, I've gone with the shorter length. I know that it doesn't seem logical that +/- 1" would be felt, but in my case, it's noticable. Granted, I've become gravity enhanced in the past few sedentary years--younger, more athletic guys like Kevin and Real Hawkeye possibly wouldn't feel it, but my chubby little butt/hip does. BTW I've found my Defender to be quite reliable as compared to the old Officers model that I had and got rid of.

Originally Posted by whelenut

I've got a Colt Agent that's unpredictable whether the gun's going to go off. I won it at the first US IPSC Indoor Championship and it sat in my safe unfired for 20 years. Finally took it to the range and it doesn't provide consistent ignition. I've since been told that it wasn't unusual for that model.

Also had a nib Ruger Vaquero that would fire--at all.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sometimes people will lighten the mainspring in order to get a smoother trigger pull. It does make for a lighter trigger but not a good idea on a self preservation gun IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kevin,
How many different pistols have the reputation for not functioning when firing with a limp wrist? Is it only Glocks?

First, I�m not saying it was definitively a limp wrist issue, because quite frankly I just didn�t take the time to diagnose the problem; I was just test driving.

The Glock (and other polymer frame pistols) have somewhat of a reputation for being susceptible to �limp wristing� because the frame is extremely light in weight, and offers almost no resistance to the slide. On the larger Glocks, if you hold well, you won�t have any problems, and I�ve had few problems with other Glocks.

It�s all about finding that �sweet spot� that works for you. For me it�s the LW Commander, but there are some who have limp wristing issues with a LW 1911 and have to have the all steel version. All depends on how you hold the gun, your build, etc.

That would be one point in favor of the J frame IMHO.
whelennut

I have just two types of carry guns, the holster gun and the pocket gun. A J frame falls into the category of the pocket gun, and there are few better pocket guns than a lightweight J frame revolver.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by warpig602
Orrrrrr.....some have toted the HK45 Compact as the finest compact 45 made to date.

Nailed it.

Although I have lusted after an Ed Brown Kobra Carry for a while....

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dink

What about all the threads on many other forums of all the various Glocks that are having functioning problems?

Allow me to point something out genius. How often do people post a thread about their gun working perfectly? People mention that in threads, but I�ve never seen a thread that�s just about someone�s gun working perfectly. If we did such a thing, I�m sure you�d see a ton of responses of perfectly working 1911�s.

But people who are experiencing problems will post a thread looking for help. And another something your pea brain can�t seem to get around. The ratio of 1911�s in America to Glock is about 10 to 1, so by sheer numbers, you�re going to have more problems with 1911�s because there are a ton more of them out there...this is America after all.

It�s the same story with Glock in law enforcement service. You see a LOT more issues reported about Glock�s in LE service than most any other pistol; that�s because Glock has such a large share of the LE market. That�s where you completely lack integrity; you�ll recognize this as being legitimate for the Glock, but you won�t give any other pistol the benefit of the doubt.

Again, you just don�t know what the hell you�re talking about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Glock may be good for you if it fits your hand. You should be aware that the .45acp Glocks have a bigger grip than the 9mm and .40S&W Glocks.

Kevin mentioned the little Kahr .45, but I think he overlooked the TP45 Kahr, which is closer to "Commander size" and also holds 7 rounds. If the Glock doesn't fit your hand and you aren't interested in a 1911 pattern, the Kahr deserves a look.

There are undoubtedly other good choices, but those are the ones I would trust the most.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Dink

What about all the threads on many other forums of all the various Glocks that are having functioning problems?

Allow me to point something out genius. How often do people post a thread about their gun working perfectly? People mention that in threads, but I�ve never seen a thread that�s just about someone�s gun working perfectly. If we did such a thing, I�m sure you�d see a ton of responses of perfectly working 1911�s.

But people who are experiencing problems will post a thread looking for help. And another something your pea brain can�t seem to get around. The ratio of 1911�s in America to Glock is about 10 to 1, so by sheer numbers, you�re going to have more problems with 1911�s because there are a ton more of them out there...this is America after all.

It�s the same story with Glock in law enforcement service. You see a LOT more issues reported about Glock�s in LE service than most any other pistol; that�s because Glock has such a large share of the LE market. That�s where you completely lack integrity; you�ll recognize this as being legitimate for the Glock, but you won�t give any other pistol the benefit of the doubt.

Take the post from the last 6 months just on this site. Other than your Glock 36 that did not run and you said it could have been because of your girly hands not being strong enough to hold onto it I only remember one other post other post about a new glock 19 having problems. Now there could have been more but those are the only two I remember.

How many 1911 post have there been about guns not running...hmmm.

There is no way on gods green earth that there are 10 1911's being used/carried to every glock. There might be 10 1911's produced to every glock produced but alot of those 1911's are being collected and not shot or carried.

Kevin I kinda thought you were a gunman but I can tell your really just stupid. I think a pistol with out a manuel safe on it scares the chit out of you and you are jealous of guys that it does not scare.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 01/28/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dink

Take the post from the last 6 months just on this site. Other than your Glock 36 that did not run and you said it could have been because of your girly hands not being strong enough to hold onto it I only remember one other post other post about a new glock 19 having problems. Now there could have been more but those are the only two I remember.

There is no way on gods green earth that there are 10 1911's being used/carried to every glock. There might be 10 1911's produced to every glock produced but alot of those 1911's are being collected and not shot or carried.

Kevin I kinda thought you were a gunman but I can tell your really just stupid. I think a pistol with out a manuel safe on it scares the chit out of you and you are jealous of guys that it does not scare.

Dink

You're an idiot; I'm done with you.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Most 1911's these days are good to go out of the box, not the case 25 years ago. I have seen Glocks with problems, especially if they were using handloads. All guns can have hiccups, get them fixed and go on.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Dink

Dink

I think the man with the girly hands needs a hanky.

The funny thing is I can just picture you stomping away from the computer whinning "I am done with"..."I am done with you"..."why won't he listen to me. I am a gun writing expert"......laffin.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]

Sounds about right to me.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.