Print Thread
Hop To
T
TAP001 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My daughter is showing an interest in getting into archery and I want her to get started on the right foot. She will be 9 years old in Feb. I took her to Bass Pro today and it looks like her draw length is about 23" and a 20# draw seemed to be a little much yet. I nearly choked when I saw the $279 price tag.

Any recommendations on where to start looking? I tried Archery Talk but the posts seemed to be very old.

If anyone has anything they think might fit the bill and willing to sell please let me know.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There are plenty of entry level bows out there. Not sure how far you are from Albany or Carmel NY, if it is doable for you I would make a trip to Flying Arrow. They can hook you up.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At $279 I'd guess you were looking at a Bear Apprentice. My son bought one last year. Nice bow with plenty of room to grow. For less money maybe look at a used Brave. You should be able to find one on ebay pretty cheap. I had one but lent it to a friend for his kids. If he's not using it I'll get it back and PM you.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am not sure what your budget is but Bowtech makes an awesome bow called the Soldier. It is set up with accessories ready to go for around $400. I got my 14 year old son one for Christmas last year. It will easily last him to adult hood if need be. It has pleny of draw length and weight adjustment.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Last year I helped the physical education teacher at our high school get the training/equipment needed to start an archery program (NASP) started in her classes. The program uses the Mathews Genesis bows and the students have really enjoyed shooting them.

There are normally quite a few youth bows available in the classifieds at archerytalk.com, so you might keep checking.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
+1 on the Genesis

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
i just bought a parker sidekick on craigslist for $100,look them up.the sidekick has draw length adjustment from 18"-28" draw weight im not sure,but the one i bought is 30-40lbs.they may start lighter,but parker has a program called grow up with parker that allows you for $50, send the bow back to them and they will put the next heavier set of limbs on it. with a deal like that a kid starting out could shoot it through adulthood for a lot less than buying a new bow every few years.and to top that off it is a modern parallel limb design that is much more fun to shoot than the normal entry level bows.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TAP001
My daughter is showing an interest in getting into archery and I want her to get started on the right foot. She will be 9 years old in Feb. I took her to Bass Pro today and it looks like her draw length is about 23" and a 20# draw seemed to be a little much yet. I nearly choked when I saw the $279 price tag.

Any recommendations on where to start looking? I tried Archery Talk but the posts seemed to be very old.

If anyone has anything they think might fit the bill and willing to sell please let me know.

I know funds are tight for everyone, but a good bow with adjustable pull weight & draw length can save dad a lot of money in the long or sometimes even short term.

I bit the bullet and bought my now 14 y/o a Diamond Razor Edge about 2 years ago and would do it again tomorrow. Bow comes set up with a starter WB style rest & sight. Paid right at $305 shipped from a dealer on AT.

Diamond Razor Edge

The Diamond Razor Edge is a sweet single cam 31" ata bow that adjusts from 19-29" draw length and 29-60# draw weight with 75% let off. Absolutely a perfect bow for the growing archer that will delivery 308fps at 29" dl.

I have upgraded the rest to a QAD Ultra-Rest Pro HD & his bow sight to a LH Wrapped/3 pin/large guard Spot Hogg "Right On" with .019 pins.

Also moved him up to a nice Scott release I wasn't using and he shoots like a champ out to 40 yds.

We have a ball at the archery range & shooting 3D together.

My 11 y/o is shooting a PSE Spyder that also has adjustable dl/dw and I was thinking of moving him up to a Razor Edge in the next couple of months if you might be interested in the PSE bow. I paid about $125 for it and the bow is in great shape.

Good Luck with your choice for the young archer.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heres an option for her, though its not exactly chaep, but the nice thing is you dont have to buy anything else, adjust for her and shoot away, all the accessories are included.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/fo...yt_Banshee_Bow_for_boy_or_gi#Post2133208

Let me know if your interested.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TAP001 is it target shooting or archery hunting she wants to pursue? If Target then get her into a JOAD program.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

J
J
Mathews Genesis.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,263
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.