Campfire Regular
A little late, but...the .8mm remington magnum, of course...grins... grin

B8

Last edited by Big8; 01/28/11.

MK
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now do they still make factory ammo for that 8mm mag metric failure?

In all honesty you just can not beat the .338 Win mag nor the .300 Win mag using 200 grn bullets for an elk hunt in the Rocky Mountains period.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Did I already say 338 win mag?? That's my vote. Although Tonk is absolutely correct, I've taken the 300 win mag out, loaded with the 200 gr. partitions at around 2900 fps and didn't feel undergunned at all grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If you need something more powerful than a good ole' 30-06 the below makes for a 'pretty good' Elk buster.... smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
If you need something more powerful than a good ole' 30-06 the below makes for a 'pretty good' Elk buster.... smile

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I'm sure it would bust the hell out of an elk. The h&h is a classy round to say the least.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

If I were a young,aspiring elk hunter today, I would worry little about the cartridges and worry more about getting to go elk hunting..... wink

You mean the headstamp doesn't matter? grin

Just because nobody else has, I'll vote for the 7mm WSM... Kimber Montana version!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey, I'll second that Kimber Montana in 7WSM, I'm thinking real hard about putting one in the gun rack this summer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.308 Norma mag.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice to see some folks still like it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I was puttin' the wood to a steel plate just over 600 yards away the other day with my .338, I was reminded again just how much I love the Mighty .338 Winchester Magnum. All hail! grin

If you can shoot it, it's awfully hard to argue against it though some misguided ignorant inbred ingrates will try.

For the recoil senthitive, I like Kimberman's suggestion and in fact am going over to the 7mm mag dark side soon enough. Damn you, Bob and Dober! grin

I would and have hunted elk with 7mm-08 on up, but the Greatest Elk Cartridge in the World is the .338 Win Mag.

So there. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
338 win mag and 210ttsx. Nuf said.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
As I was puttin' the wood to a steel plate just over 600 yards away the other day with my .338, I was reminded again just how much I love the Mighty .338 Winchester Magnum. All hail! grin

If you can shoot it, it's awfully hard to argue against it though some misguided ignorant inbred ingrates will try.

For the recoil senthitive, I like Kimberman's suggestion and in fact am going over to the 7mm mag dark side soon enough. Damn you, Bob and Dober! grin

I would and have hunted elk with 7mm-08 on up, but the Greatest Elk Cartridge in the World is the .338 Win Mag.

So there. smile

I think the 7mm Remington and .338 Winchester are two of the finest cartridges as a pair, that could be owned. There is enough overlapp and the .338 is a caliber that is growing out of all proportion in terms of the bullets that are still being introduced with an example being the Barnes Long Range Series 265gn TSX's which would cover the heaviest game in the US under any circumstances and still shoot flat for elk hunting in the mountains.

The .338 has really blossomed as a hunting cartridge and the 7mm Remington I believe, is being rediscoverd due to its shootability and adequate power for all but the largest bears.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John-any chance you've worked with the 265 TSX yet? I'd love to try some in my .340.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd worry that a 265-TSX would just blow up on the hide, leave a shallow crater. whistle

Dober we need to talk.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

So there. smile

I think the 7mm Remington and .338 Winchester are two of the finest cartridges as a pair, that could be owned. There is enough overlapp and the .338 is a caliber that is growing out of all proportion in terms of the bullets that are still being introduced with an example being the Barnes Long Range Series 265gn TSX's which would cover the heaviest game in the US under any circumstances and still shoot flat for elk hunting in the mountains.

The .338 has really blossomed as a hunting cartridge and the 7mm Remington I believe, is being rediscoverd due to its shootability and adequate power for all but the largest bears.

John

Any info on the new LRX? Very interested in the 200 30 cal and 265 338..As to BC, bearing surface,length, Grooves?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd worry that a 265-TSX would just blow up on the hide, leave a shallow crater. whistle

Dober we need to talk.

Jeff, that's bs. You know it would "way overpenetrate" grin. Just sayin.....

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
John-any chance you've worked with the 265 TSX yet? I'd love to try some in my .340.

Dober

Mark,
Not yet. Samples just arrived. There was also a 255gn TSX and a 285gn TTSX released last year and the new 265gn "Long Range" version is "Tipped", so I have a Typo with the original post as it should read TTSX.

We are spoiled rotten as a generation as even we, never had it so good.

John

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rosco1

So there. smile

John

Any info on the new LRX? Very interested in the 200 30 cal and 265 338..As to BC, bearing surface,length, Grooves?

Rosco,
Still waiting for samples of the other Long Range versions.

John

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Bring the 300Wby

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I think the 7mm Remington and .338 Winchester are two of the finest cartridges as a pair, that could be owned.

John

True!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 24 of 54 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.