Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I just have to bragg on my successfull batch of venison summer sausage. I tried making some with High Mountain seasonings last year and it turned out terrible.
This year, after doing more research on sausage making, I made a 25lb batch. I ordered the ingredients from ALLIED KENCO. The things I put in besides seasoning and cure which made a big difference were powdered milk and citric acid capsules and 25%boston butt 18 lbs venison 7 lbs of boston butt. The powdered milk acts as a binder and helps with moisture retention and the citric acid gives it the tangy flavor.
Ground and Seasoned/cured it one day, remixed it again every day for 3 days, then added the powdered milk and citric acid on the 3rd day right before stuffing in fibrous casings. Then cooked them in the oven at 200' to an internal temp of 155'. I then pulled them out of oven and gave them a cold water bath to stop the cooking process. I've gotten several genuine complements from hunters and non hunters alike. One very experienced hunter said it was the best he's ever tasted (though no deer processors around here make good summer sausage). My cousin who lives in Missoure and gets great summer sausage from "Oberly" in south east Missouri had a hard time believing I actually made it myself.
For anyone interested check out the link. They seem to have the best prices on ingredients and you can order exactly how many items you want of anything (if you only want 10 casings, you don't have to order a minimum package of 20).
They also have helpful tips on how and why to use various ingredients.
All the seasoning, cure, powdered milk, citric acid and casings cost me less than 30$ and that made 25lbs of summer sausage. It would have been even less if I had ordered enough to make 50lbs. The boston butt added about 8 bucks. So for $38 I was able to make 22 one pound+ sausage logs. My processor charges $10 for a 3lb stick of "summer sausage" and it crumbles apart like cold dry meat loaf.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Samples? smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
you can have some but it's a long drive from WY grin

F
F
I use the LEM brand summer sausage cure and seasoning as well as their casings. My cousin and I did 100lbs of it this season using the boston butt venison and ground chuck. 15lbs venison, 5lbs pork, and 5lbs ground chuck. I added crushed garlic, and black peper to the seasoning. Cured for 2 days and smoked at 160 for 8 hours!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!! I only made 50lbs last year and it went like wildfire once everyone tried it. We used half our doe tags for sausage this year, two full days of grinding and stuffing!! We also did an ass load of italian, breakfast and bratwust. The LEM sweet itialian & brat seasoning was great!!! I used to mix all my seasonings for the italian and brat, it cost me a fortune to buy all the bottles of seasonings. This is a much better way to go, and if you want more kick, add to them. I did some of the italian with crushed red pepper flakes and some of the brats with beer and garlic. All of it is great!!

Last edited by FL_Cracker; 01/13/10.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I may just have to try some LEM stuff. I've got a little more meat than my 25LBS of seasoning will cure. I may just have to go into Bass Pro and see if they've got some in stock. I'd love to compare various seasonings to see which I like better.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've not been satisfied with my efforts to date though i do get compliments. I'd like to know how much powdered milk you are adding?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Here is the recipie I used. As you can see under "Optional Ingredients" is the powdered milk ratio's.

Summer Sausage is made with high quality meat cuts that are in good microbiological and chemical condition. Finished moisture content is low, usually 50%. A true summer sausage is a fermented product, however, it can be expensive to get started for the hobbyist

These instructions will produce an unfermented, semi-dried product. Adding citric acid or fermento (see optional ingredients) will provide a somewhat tangy, fermented taste.

Suggested meat ratios include: For 25 lb. Recipe

1. Beef Summer Sausage -

18.75 lb. Beef Rounds 6.25 lb. Beef Fat

2. Beef / Pork Summer Sausage

10 lb. Beef Chuck 7.5 lb Pork Shoulder 7.5 lb. Pork Trimmings (Fat)

3. Wild Game Summer Sausage

18.75 lbs. Game 6.25 lbs. pork trimmings (Fat)

Required ingredients:

q Water up to 10% of the meat weight acts as a ingredient distribution system and meat lubricant.

q Cure # 1� Use 1 oz. of cure per 25 lb. of meat when smoking or processing at temps. under 200� F

q Casings - If stuffing into casings.

q Premixed seasoning - for 25 lb of meat. Follow package instructions for amount of seasoning. Do not over season.

Optional ingredients: Add these to the seasoning, cure and water and then mix into the meat.

q Soy protein (binder) Add 3.5% (of meat weight) to the meat mixture. Binds the meat, retains natural juices. Do not use Soy Protein if you are planning to use Non-fat dry milk. (See Below)

q Non-fat dry milk � Add 3.5% (of meat weight) to the meat mixture. Binds the meat, retains natural juices.

Do not use Non-fat dry milk if you are planning to use Soy protein. (See Above)

q Fermento - Add 1% to 6% (of meat weight) to the meat mixture. Do not use fermento if you are planning to use citric acid. (See Below)

Optional ingredients: Add these after the meat has been ground the second time and just prior to stuffing.

q Use encapsulated citric acid to reduce the PH in your summer sausage and give it a more tangy or fermented taste. Mix thoroughly but do not over mix or run thru the grinder. This will rupture the capsules, releasing the citric acid into the meat prematurely. The capsules will release the citric acid at about 130� F during the cooking or smoking stage. Use 3 oz. per 25 lb. meat.

Do not use citric acid if you are planning to use fermento. (See above)

q Add peppercorns to taste if you desire.

q Add cheese using 5-10% of the meat weight as a guide. Use Hi Melt hard cheese such as cheddar or sharp cheddar. Dice the cheese into small chunks adding to the meat after the meat has been ground and just prior to stuffing.

q Add jalapeno peppers to taste. Use dehydrated pepper that has been hydrated or fresh peppers that are chopped up.

q Add Worcestershire Sauce - 1 Tbsp per 25 lb. meat

Processing

1. Grind chilled lean meat through 3/8" plate.

2. Grind the fat meat through a � plate or cut up into 1 cubes.

3. Mix seasoning, cure and water together in a bowl to make a soupy mixture. Pour over the lean meat, and mix in a plastic meat lug, until the meat is tacky - but do not over mix. For small amounts you may place the mixture in a covered mixing bowl or large plastic bag. After mixing is complete add fat meat. This step helps eliminate smearing of the fat and allows the red color of the meat to show better.

4.Pack meat mixture in the container tightly to remove any air pockets.

5.Hold in cooler at 36-38�F for two days to allow the meat to pan cure and the flavor to develop. Re-mix and repack the meat at least once during this curing time.

6. Regrind through a 3/16� plate.

7. Stuff into fibrous casing or beef middles 1-1/2� to 2-3/4� in diameter and 12� to 20� long. Be sure to omit all air pockets.

Suggested Smokehouse Schedule

1. Hang at room temperature for 3-4 hours

2.Place in smokehouse preheated to 130� F and hold until the internal temperature reaches 100�F.

3.Raise smokehouse temperature to 150� F and start the smoke, smoking for 3-4 hours

4.Stop the smoke and raise the smokehouse temperature to 170 180� F and cook until internal temperature reaches 152-155�F.

4. Remove and shower with cool water until internal temperature is at least 120� F or lower.

5. Allow sausage to hang at room temperature until the desired bloom (color development) is obtained.

6. Place under 40� F refrigeration for 24 hours then package and place in freezer until ready for use.

If you don't have a sausage stuffer you can shape the sausages into logs or rolls by hand or you can shape the sausage by stuffing the meat into soup cans (must have a 3" diameter or less). Remove any labels; spray the soup cans with cooking spray or lightly oil them so the sausage is easily removed after cooking. You may cut out both ends. Regardless of the method you use to shape the sausage it is important that the diameter of the sausage be less than 3 inches for adequate heat penetration.
If you do not have a smokehouse you can add liquid smoke or smoke powder to get a smoke flavor
Add 1 Tbsp. Mesquite Smoke Powder Or Hickory Smoke Powder to 25 lb. of meat
If you don't have a smokehouse you can use your kitchen oven. Preheat the oven to 200� F. Place the sausage rolls on a rack over a pan such as a broiling pan. This allows the grease to drip out. Bake in oven for 3 to 5 hours until the center of the sausage reaches 145� F. For a drier sausage or a sausage with a more cooked flavor, continue cooking until the center temperature is 155� F or higher. It is possible to cook the sausage directly in the soup cans, in a horizontal position. The ends tend to be drier so you might want to loosely cover the ends with foil for a moister sausage. When the sausage is done remove from the oven and place on paper towels to absorb any fat. Cool thoroughly on a rack then wrap and refrigerate for up 2 to 3 weeks or freeze to keep several months. Frozen summer sausage will keep safely for months, but the quality deteriorates after 2-3 months
You may also use a pressure cooker. Cook at 15 Lb. pressure for 15 minutes.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I really think that the powdered milk and the citric acid capsules made all the difference. In the past, I've had a hard time getting the sausage to bind together and not be "crumbly". Adding the powdered milk and carefully cooking to the right temp made for a summer sausage that had the texture of somewhere between salami and balogna, with plenty of moisture, and it clearly held together nicely when sliced even paper thin. Totally different outcome than previously failed attempts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for posting up recipe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am just bring this back to the top b/c I have a fair bit of venison and the fiance wants summer sausage... planning to follow the allied kenco recipe for the most part and wondering if anyone has any new suggestions????

Thanks

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is what my brother in law makes. I have yet to do it, but am planning on it. It is very good, as good or better than the local packing plant that everybody raves about.

A note from him about this recipe, followed by the recipe
-----------------
Go to www.midwesternresearch.com

In the top RH corner of the screen click on seasoning. Then in the left hand column select Summer Sausage Seasoning. The 5th one down in the "H Summer Sausage Seasoning". It will do 25# of sausage and it comes with the cure.

Go back to the top RH corner and click seasoning again. This time in the left hand column select Binders. The 2nd one down is the "Sure Gel Binder". That is the one that I have used in the past. ----------------------------

Venison Summer Sausage

Ingredients:
20# - Lean Deer Meat, all fat and sinew removed
5# Pork Trim (50%fat)
2.5# water
1 Package of Summer Sausage mix (for 25# batch)
1 Package of Sure Cure (for 25# batch)
1 Package of Binder (soy or dehydrated milk powder) (for 25# batch)

Directions:
1. Cube up Lean Deer Meat and Pork tim into grinder sized pieces and mix together to get uniform distribution of pork.

2. Mix the cure and water together.

3. Sprinkle on � of Seasoning, � of water/cure mix. Mix thoroughly by hand.

4. Run the mixture thru the small plate on the grinder.

5. Add remaining Seasoning, remaining water/cure mix and the full amount of binder. Mix thoroughly by hand.

6. Run mixture thru the small plate on the grinder.

7. Mix thoroughly one more time.

8. Add stuffing horn and star attachment to the grinder.

9. Let Casings soak in water for 10-15 minutes or until pliable.

10. Stuff the mixture into Summer Sausage Casings.

11. Twist filled casing and seal open end with hog ring.

12. Let stuffed sausages sit over night in cool place.

13. Adjust smoker temp to 130˚ range and insert sausages and smoke for 2-3 hours.

14. Adjust smoker temp to 160˚ degree range and smoke for another hour.

15. Adjust smoker temp to 180˚ range and cook (no more smoke needed) until internal temp reaches 160˚ (about 3-4 hours).

16. Cool thoroughly and enjoy�.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
okay,

Well I am little late in getting this done and actually had to freeze most of grind but since we are getting the winter storm of the century here, I am getting caught up and will be making some fresh sausages today and tomorrow... need to order the supplies for summer sausage and was wondering which seasoning package most ppl use.

I plan to do the allied Kenco direction and have everything else in "my cart" but I did not wanted to buy the huge kit for summer sausage for $40 and was wondering if some of the other random sausage seasoning packs would work as long as I add the cure also??

Andrew
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
you can have some but it's a long drive from WY grin

Some of us is in Alabama, and wouldn't mind a tasty sampling grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found one on their site... sometimes it seems not everything shows up and their search engine is a little funky...

anyways going to try this one...

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/287

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
recipe I use

20 lbs elk/venison
5lbs pork trimmings
8 oz salt
2 oz powdered dextrose
1 oz insta-cure
1/4 oz ground coriander
1/4 oz ground ginger
1/4 oz ground mustard
3 tsp granulated garlic
3 oz corn syrup solids
9 oz fermento

mixed/double grind, stuff one evening. Then into the cooler until the next evening. Hang at room temp overnight, next morning to 160 degree smoker about 6hrs, them "steamed" at 165 until internal temp of 145, out and cold showered until internal at 120 hang at room temp 1 1/2 hrs to "bloom" then off to the cooler

Last edited by chris_c; 01/31/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I found one on their site... sometimes it seems not everything shows up and their search engine is a little funky...

Thats what I used last year and will be using again this year. Only, I'll be adding a just a bit more pepper to it this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Thats what I used last year and will be using again this year. Only, I'll be adding a just a bit more pepper to it this year.

Oh great... glad to get a good report as I ordered it yesterday along with the 12" casing and cure, etc etc

Andrew
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I also ordered some powdered smoke seasoning and added the powdered milk for a binder. I made some with and with out the citric acid capsules and I think I liked the batch without the citric acid capsules slightly better. For what that's worth. Good luck with your endeavor. I just cooked mine in the oven to a temp of 155' (if I remember correctly). Making good summer sausage is very satisfying. You're in my old stompin grounds. I grew up in Florissant, MO and just started going back up to deer hunt in South East MO during the first week of gun season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info... Allied Kenco dropped my cart b/c I was not active for too long... when I refilled my cart, I forgot the citric acid capsules anyways... so I guess it will be going without. I order liquid smoke and will use a little sparingly... I may also smoke a little but I can not control temp well enough with my smoker to comfortable bring the temp up slowly so I will only do that for a little bit if I do go that route and then will finish in the oven.

I grew up in St. Charles and live in South City right next to the brewery right now but looking at places in Wildwood. MO deer hunting is a great past time and I was just reading up again about the success they are having so far relocating Elk to MO!! maybe one day we will have enough Elk that I can put in for a tag with odds of 1/25000 like KY and PA!!

Andrew

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 80 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.