Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hekin

Sure a Barney's can haul a house, but its no nimble light weight thing....

Barney's isn't the lightest sure, but I have mine now setup for hunts starting with just the Barney's frame is down to 4.25 pounds. The frame with 3700 cu in is 5.5 pounds. Frame with 5600 cu in is 6.1 pounds. Frame with 8100 cu in is 7.5 pounds. Frame with 9900 cu in is 8.1 pounds. So while I can haul a house with it at 8100 cu in I is still over 2 pounds lighter than my Mystery Ranch 6500. On pair weight wise with the Kifaru LH 8500. Same weight as the Arctery Bora 95L (5600 cu In).

So if you know how to dress down the Barney's frame for pure function you can get the weight down to the competing top internals and likely hands down hauls 100+ pounds better than most any other pack, and likely the most proven "sheep pack" in Alaska. Have used Barney's and a number of the high end hunting "internal frames" and really haven't found myself saying "man I am glad I have this internal frame on the side of this mountain instead of an external."

The Kifaru UL packs are, for now, in a class of their own as far as weight. They haven't been proven really yet as only a few choice people have used them for but a year or two so time will tell how they hold up over time. Great packs if they can stand up to years of shale scoots and rock slides though, but I am skeptical on that.

Bottom line the pack only has to work for you. Be a CF pack frame that could possibly shatter if dropped in the rocks with weight on it scares me a bit. Hope it works great, but stuff happens.....

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Kifaru Ultra Light has surely proved worthy of carrying as much weight as I will ever want to or be capable of carrying. Granted I have only one hinting season on it, but since hnting season, I have been dragging it in and out of the truck while loaded with salt for training hikes with no sign of distress.

The final version of the KU will be quite a bit more rugged than my prototype as well. With very little weight gain.

I think the KUIU Ion has lots of promise and I wish them the best.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed,

No doubt the KU packs are capable of carrying weight. Just wondering how they would hold up to buttslides down hillsides and what not. I really want one, but am a little apprehensive to throw down the coin without atleast a couple years of testing by more than a few. No doubt Patrick pick some great people to put it through the paces. But as far as wear and tear remains to be seen. Heck I have holes in my MR 6500 after just two season as crampons, rocks, ice axes, and what not all seem to find their way to a pack at some point.

Very much look forward to hearing the reviews from both Kuiu and Kifaru on these new packs. Worst case, I end up hauling an extra 4 pounds up and down the mountains for a few years waiting for the packs to prove themselves. wink

Besides hopefully by then Kifaru will have a KU 7000 or something as I have a heck of a time fitting all my gear for a week and an animal with meat and cape in 6500 inches with stuff strappsed to the outside and the collar fully extended. Hard to imagine trying to squeeze it into a 5200 wink.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Luke,

No doubt a 500d or better yet 1000d Cordura pack will out wear the KU, but that is one of the trade offs to loose so much weight. I don't think the KU are for everybody and Patrick must feel the same way as they aren't replacing any of the heavier packs.

I have owned a couple Longhunters, both G1 & G2 and a Siwash and they were great packs and carried heavy weight very well, especially the G2. But every time I would pick it up empty, I wonder what was in it. The KU's are like a day pack with the capability to carry big loads.

I don't think you are alone in wanting a KU 6500-7500 and I wound't be suprised if we see one in the future. For most of my trips anymore, I can get by with the 5200, the rest of the trips I can add a pod and a couple long pockets and be OK, but there are some areas and trips where a bigger pack is really necessary.

I hope I wear out my KU, 'cause I'm pretty sure that would take one heck of a lot of trips over quit a few years and I wouldn't mind getting out that much.

Ed T

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
What do you guys know about the material being used for the packs?

"The pack fabric, is a new 100% Nylon 160D 165g/m2 rip-stop Cordura. It is durable, abrasion resistant and the quietest lightweight fabric I have found and tested for packs."

Last edited by norcalblacktail; 01/27/11.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T

I hope I wear out my KU, 'cause I'm pretty sure that would take one heck of a lot of trips over quit a few years and I wouldn't mind getting out that much.

HAHA....I have no doubt with the way you get out you will have no problems putting the pack to the test over the next few years. But if you start to neglect that G2 8500 I may have to come steal it. Keep us posted on how the pack fairs really excited to see how these things work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by evanhill

I have reasons to believe that the Osprey and Arcteryx offerings top out at around 60lbs, but I suppose I'd include them in a test just to prove or disprove that bias.

The Arcteryx Bora and Osprey Crescents will handle whatever you put in them... certainly 90lbs isn't out of the question.

Actually, in theory they should handle more than the Gregory Denali Pro, Kifaru G2 or non-NICE framed Mystery Ranch...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree Brad. The Osprey Aether 85 (lighter frame than the Argon) I carried on a long backcountry trip last summer with 50-60 pounds in it the entire time and never felt as if it was sagging. I would think the Argon could easily handle 80+ with the stiffer frame.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Luke,

The G2 8500 is already gone.

My thought is the I like the Ku so much that even if I were to go back to a LH frame for packing big loads of meat, the KU will be my go to pack for all backpacking trips.

Ed T

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I agree Brad. The Osprey Aether 85 (lighter frame than the Argon) I carried on a long backcountry trip last summer with 50-60 pounds in it the entire time and never felt as if it was sagging. I would think the Argon could easily handle 80+ with the stiffer frame.

I'm talking Crescent, not Argon or Aether... the old Crescent is definitely stouter than the Argon, but the Argon seems like a decent compromise between the old Crescent frame and the Aether for sure...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

I know what you mean. The Crescent was slightly stouter than the Argon so it could likely pack more.

Ed,

I seem to remember you selling that now and me having to restrain myself. Must not buy anymore packs...must not buy anymore packs...... I do not need a KU yet wink

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

Last edited by wolfmen; 01/28/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TTT....the Icon 6000 is now up with pics and notes....interesting to say the least...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When a mfg puts up a "review" of their own product I tend to take it with a grain of salt... a "review", really?

I wish them well, but that pack isn't for my back. Others less-curvy backs might love it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya, I know what you mean Brad...hence why I called it 'notes' as I dont really think its a 'review' until they hit the hills on some guys.

Interesting for sure....hard to put down my MR pack to try something new but I may take it for a test spin at one point...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They aren't coming in as light as I thought they would..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 6000 Review is up as well:

http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/icon-6000-review/

The Icon frame allows this pack to be incredibly comfortable to hunt in all day due to the horizontal flexion. The vertical stiffness of the frame and the stays designed to decouple a heavy load, moving the weight off of your hip bones and shoulders and to your lower back, upper back and chest make these packs the most comfortable pack on the market.

I might be missing something here, but I recall reading about Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and McHale that their load distributions moved weight to your hips to bear a good part of the weight. Lowering the center of gravity of the pack making it more comfortable for heavy loads. Just thinking out loud, but it seems that your lower back is the last place you would want bearing your pack weight.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 470Nitro

I might be missing something here, but I recall reading about Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and McHale that their load distributions moved weight to your hips to bear a good part of the weight. Lowering the center of gravity of the pack making it more comfortable for heavy loads. Just thinking out loud, but it seems that your lower back is the last place you would want bearing your pack weight.

Ya..I saw that too. Im pretty sure its just worded wrong.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.