Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
i may be blasted here but oh well i got thick skin
! the new contoversial bullet here seems to be berger vld hunting bullets not passed judgement on them myself yet but was kinda thinking they work a lot like nosler BT's but yet some of the same people that hate NBT love the VLD is there really much diff in there profomance after striking game ? as for working range in vol. dont know the low vol. for NBT but have seen some where that the VLD is listed at 1800 fps same as ttsx

Mr. Holton,

Where have you seen 1800 fps listed as the minimum recommended impact velocity for TTSXs?

I haven't seen anything from Barnes or any other authoritative source that recommends a minimum impact velocity lower than 1900 or 2000 fps for TTSXs (depends on specific caliber and weight of TTSX). Seems that a lot of people use 2000 fps as their minimum impact velocity for Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets, and I'm sure that's based on discussions with Barnes given what I've gathered from my correspondence with Barnes.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 02/08/11.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Once you try them they are pretty amazing aren't they(VLD's) I shot a couple of elk this year a couple of deer and as a group a bunch of goats. They were impressive on everything I shot out of my 300 RUM and 7WSM.

Brad
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Originally Posted by moosemuncher
I hate it when people review things they have never used. YMMV.

I hate it when folks make ridiculous assumptions.

Just because I have chose not to use VLD's or BT's on larger game, please do not assume I have not shot them.

Pretty simple. Have you put one into an elk? Yes? No? I do love people who feel free to comment on something they have never done.

Driving drunk is bad. Do I have to drive drunk and injure someone to prove that?

I do not drink and have no plans to change.

I will not experiment on big game with your new 'magical' bullet, either.

I have no desire to jump on this cable-show bandwagon.

It's nothing new, just groupie marketing.

Last edited by MIKEWERNER; 02/08/11.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

... Nevermind of course, that most VLD detractors haven`t used them on elk and usually won`t try to because of their pre-conceived assumptions and notions of what the proper big game hunting bullet should be.

Glad you qualified that with �most� but I�m not sure even that is correct. �Some�, certainly.

Judging a bullet based on manufacturer�s stated performance is not necessarily the same as judging it on �pre-conceived assumptions and notions of what the proper big game hunting bullet should be�. Nor is basing it on the experience of people that have used them.

Berger advocates like to talk about shots to the chest and even you have stated that they work best with no more than a 30-35 degree angle. I don�t recall any VLD fans talking about what happens when things go wrong and you hit an animal in the hams because it turned away as the trigger broke. I have a little experience with that using the North Forks and the result was a very sudden and completely satisfactory ending � except for the buck � with the bullet recovered from up against the sternum. Barnes MRX have gone lengthwise through a mulie for me too, in the other direction, with the same straight down results. The Grand Slams I used for 20+ years provided a lot of straight down results with only two elk making it 40 yards and most of the rest no more than a step or two. It took me 20 years to recover one and when I did it had smashed the ball in both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull.

Given that the North Forks, TTSX/ MRX and other bullets I use provide deep penetration and more than satisfactory results even on bad angles, why should I consider a VLD when the manufacturer states it typically won�t do the same?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear that they work well, I've had a heck of a time getting them to shoot the way I want though..

And the NBT's shoot so well and work so well that I see lil or no reason to push using them.

Now the Scenar has my attention and if they'd make one for my 7 Mashburn Super I'd be all over trying it. But, in the end I spect it'd do what the NBT does and that is shoot well and kill well.

Which VLD are your running in your 7 WSM?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
guys thanks for sharing personal experiance and ideas here and keeping to pissing contest down i think some(myself included) dont or did not for a while relise that the vld target and hunting bullets are different i too am having a harder time get the bergers to shoot as good as i would like compared to NBT that is part of the reason i started this thread to see if i wanted to continue to spend the time and $ to do so or just stick with nosler for my long range loads (for short range like around 350yds and under i do use tsx or ttsx)hell i may just load accubonds for all and forget it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What caliber?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
! the new contoversial bullet here seems to be berger vld hunting bullets not passed judgement on them myself yet but was kinda thinking they work a lot like nosler BT's but yet some of the same people that hate NBT love the VLD is there really much diff in there profomance after striking game ? as for working range in vol. dont know the low vol. for NBT but have seen some where that the VLD is listed at 1800 fps same as ttsx

Mr. Holton,

Where have you seen 1800 fps listed as the minimum recommended impact velocity for TTSXs?

I haven't seen anything from Barnes or any other authoritative source that recommends a minimum impact velocity lower than 1900 or 2000 fps for TTSXs (depends on specific caliber and weight of TTSX). Seems that a lot of people use 2000 fps as their minimum impact velocity for Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets, and I'm sure that's based on discussions with Barnes given what I've gathered from my correspondence with Barnes.
i will go look and see if i can find it and let you know it may be in a barns demo video?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look forward to hearing about what you find. The only low impact velocity info I've seen on Barnes' website involved simulating bone contact before the the bullet enters the ballistic gelatin (Barnes refers to that as bone-gelatin).

Barnes info from testing with "bone-gelatin"

The 7mm TTSX results look good, even at long range, with the simulated bone strike, but I don't think I can count on hitting bone on the way in every time, particularly on a broadside or slightly angling away shot.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 02/08/11.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Just because I have chose not to use VLD's or BT's on larger game, please do not assume I have not shot them.

Pretty simple. Have you put one into an elk? Yes? No? I do love people who feel free to comment on something they have never done.

Driving drunk is bad. Do I have to drive drunk and injure someone to prove that?

I will take that as a no. You have never sent a VLD into an elk, yet you feel the need to comment on them in the Elk hunting forum. Correct?

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Again, no desire, Wyo.

If they work for you....great. The design just holds nothing new for me.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
What caliber?

Dober
been toying with them in .257 roberts. for some testing but for hunting elk it would be .300wby

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty darn sure the Rbts would tip em over quite well with a 115 NBT

Dober

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
if wife went she woulkd pack a .260 hell i might just bring the wby ultalite in .308 a lot lighter to pack and nicer to shoot

Last edited by ldholton; 02/08/11.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The two bullets I used this year on game were the 180 Berger in a 280AI and the 162 Amax in a 7/08AI. Saw nothing to cause me to dismiss either as a game bullet; bear, antelope, deer, and elk all died in appropriate fashion. I do plan to try the Amax in the 280AI when the chance arises, for economy and simplicity.

Empirical results rule!
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

Mr. Holton,

i will go look and see if i can find it and let you know it may be in a barns demo video?
ok i cant find what i was looking for so i called barns to make sure i had not lost my mind they said they test in water down to 2000fps with ttsx and 1800fps tsx so i was thinking backwards but aslo said in s study on a lot of game in the feild they were seeing fine proformance at some what lower vol. with both

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Oh, and I don't have cable, so I doubt cable shows were a factor in my choices.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carl-any chance you've tried the 155 AM's? They shoot great in my WSM and my G-dads old 300 Wby.

Dober

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't, though I've used the 168gr 30 cals on bear and deer with good results. The 155's wouldn't spook me if the application was within reason.

BTW, regarding your friends negative experiences with early 162's, they have changed the design since it came out, substantially I believe.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard that they've changed it, good deal as the fella lost a booner lope over the deal...oucha

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 02/08/11.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.