Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Guys:

I enjoyed the earlier thread on 1 to 2 day survival kits. So I thought I'd ask my nephew, a former Navy Seal, how he would approach the issue.

I set out some limited conditions, so we didn't venture into the Arctic:

Assume good health and no major (crippling) injuries. Lower 48 states. Not dead of winter, not at the top of a mountain.

Some rain. Cold enough at night for hypothermia.

If you say you can do the 48 hours with nothing but a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, I'll believe you.

But if you really need something else to go the 48 hours, what would the minimum be, given your Seal training and knowledge? Minimum being what is needed to sustain life without requiring medical care when it's over. Hungry, okay. Cold, okay. Cranky, okay.

This is the response I got. I hope you enjoy it.

A man can survive 48 hrs in described conditions with nothing but his birthday suit.

It won't be fun or comfortable, but the answer is yes, absolutely. So we'll build up to a more comfortable vacation in the sticks from here.

Water is first priority. You can live 48 hrs without but you'll be suffering towards the end. 3-5 days is human limit w/o water. Those limits depend on the man's physical and mental tenacity. After 3 or 4 days you'd be too weak to do any useful work.

If no H2O sources available - I'd want a rag, t-shirt, socks or other cloth that can retain water by walking through morning dew. Alternatively, a plastic trash bag or similar for obtaining H2O via plant transpiration would be a good item to have/find. Also desert solar sills, or beach/berm/hill digs to access the area's water table are all good methods.

Re: hypothermia weather - the woods have plenty of vegetation and earth with which to build a comfy and warm site. Most heat is lost through ground conduction, so a bed of easily-gathered dry, dead veg makes a great insulator, larger sticks and earth digs will block wind and reduce air-convection heat loss.

Now that water and shelter are taken care of, food. Thin wire/fishing line for squirrel poles and small game traps would be 3rd on my list after a shirt and a trash bag. 4th would be a good hand-made knife ("custom" blade in the knife industry)...not a factory-manufactured piece. The line and knife can be used to make a bow fire. Now you're set. Hot rocks (exception: stream rocks - they'll explode) in the fire would make for a 5-star luxury bed once piled with a foot and a half or so of dirt.

Thanks for the fun question.

- Tom

BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
That is a pretty good, no BS answer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Matches what I heard in survival school, and what we tell the Boy Scouts.

Never ever lose your knife or your wits. You can make just about everything else you need.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I agree, hypothermia/warmth should be first priority, then H20. Depends on the situation........

MtnHtr

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Me too. If you must make fire and/or build a shelter, you ain't going any where. The other thing is that with some rain, and cold temperatures, you may not last long enough to make a shelter. Depends on how you are dressed. E

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a fire should take less than a minute to start.... once thats going, assuming you were smart enough to have wood ready before you started the fire, you can then work on the shelter part.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is intersting about the knife. I wonder as to design preferences.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by MarlinMark
It is intersting about the knife. I wonder as to design preferences.

Mark

Mark:

I asked him about the knife. The knives he favors for field work are plain, drop point hunters with straight edges, no serrations. About 3 inches for the blade. 1095 steel. Stiff enough for digging and prying, and able to retain an edge that's good enough for skinning animals. (I don't know how he decided that was his steel of preference, but there you are.) Micarta handles that he frequently removes so he can wrap the handle with para cord. Kydex sheaths. He buys his knives from specialty makers, so they are not custom knives, as a knife enthusiast would understand the term. I'll correct him when I see him in April.

He did say that for extended periods in the woods, where he might want to put together a substantial shelter, he might go to 5 inches for the blade length.

I'm only guessing, mind, but I get the idea that you're never going to catch a Seal carrying a Rambo knife.

- Tom

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.