Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a new to me 3-10x50 Meopta Meostar on the way and was wondering about mounts. I prefer to use Burris Signature Double Dovetail Mounts whenever possible due to the various benefits they give and I was wondering if I can get by with medium height rings with a 50mm objective? This scope will be going on either a short or long action Win Mdl 70 Classic w/ a sporter weight barrel and I want it as low as possible. My current SA Mdl 70's w/ 40 mm Zeiss Conquests have about 6mm of scope clearance between the objective bell and the barrel but of course they are 1 inch scopes. How does the 30mm ring stack up as far as height above the base versus the 1 inch? Burris shows in their mounting guide that their 50mm scope can go into medium rings but the scope listed are 1 inch tubes and are longer overall than the 13 inch Meopta.

What say the experts - can I get this scope on a model 70 in medium dual dovetails? I would use the concentric ring inserts on the front if needed to clear the barrel.

Thanks in advance for any useful info.

Strosfann.

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
go to burris' website and look on the cart and pick one of their scopes that has 30 and 50 mm to see what size you need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have Talley Light Weight medium rings on my Tikka with a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50. I also have Talley Light Weight medium rings on my Browning A-Bolt with a Swarovski 4-12x50 AV.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by strosfann
I have a new to me 3-10x50 Meopta Meostar on the way and was wondering about mounts. I prefer to use Burris Signature Double Dovetail Mounts whenever possible due to the various benefits they give and I was wondering if I can get by with medium height rings with a 50mm objective? This scope will be going on either a short or long action Win Mdl 70 Classic w/ a sporter weight barrel and I want it as low as possible. My current SA Mdl 70's w/ 40 mm Zeiss Conquests have about 6mm of scope clearance between the objective bell and the barrel but of course they are 1 inch scopes. How does the 30mm ring stack up as far as height above the base versus the 1 inch? Burris shows in their mounting guide that their 50mm scope can go into medium rings but the scope listed are 1 inch tubes and are longer overall than the 13 inch Meopta.

What say the experts - can I get this scope on a model 70 in medium dual dovetails? I would use the concentric ring inserts on the front if needed to clear the barrel.

Thanks in advance for any useful info.

Strosfann.

Truth is, you won't know unless you try..Part will depend on the barrel contour under the objective, and also how far forward you have the scope in the mounts.

Also keep it in mind that the "50mm" refers to the diameter of the objective lens ie the glass, and different 50mm scopes can have different external measurements..

Finally, mount height is also governed by having enough clearance between the bolt handle and the ocular assembly..European scopes tend to have large oculars than a typical Leupold, and that alone may force you to use taller mounts.

Best advice is to order Mediums and Highs on the understanding that you will return the set thats not needed.

Regards

Peter

PS: If you use additional inserts under the objective, the scope will end up canted up wards at the front...Depending how much clearance your trying to achieve, and therefore how thick an insert you're using, you may not be able to zero your scope correctly..

Last edited by Pete E; 02/08/11.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Get a Brownell's catalog. When you have scope in hand, hold it in place on the rifle and you'll see what the ring height you'll need to clear the scope. The catalog will give you the info you need. I like to get my scope first, then order my rings after the fact. Leupold rings measure from the center of the ring, whereas others measure from the bottom of the scope to the top of the base. I subtract 1/2" or 15mm (1/2 tube diameter) from the Leupold numbers to get equivalent data. Also one must look at scope tube length to see if offset bases and/or rings are required for correct positioning of the scope.

DF

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From an objective bell to barrel clearance standpoint, it will work. I have mounted 50mm objective, 30mm tube scopes on several rifles with medium DD mounts with clearance to spare. What you need to be more concerned with is whether the bolt handle clears the ocular housing, which is a concern with large eyepiece scopes on 2-lug actions because the bolt handle travels in a 90-deg arc. The Euro scopes by and large have larger eyepiece diameter than other comparable scopes. You won't really know whether this is an issue until you mount the scope and try it. If it doesn't work, most reputable vendors will allow you to exchange rings as long as you don't mar the rings or damage the packaging.

Ted
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the input guys. I will order mediums and hope I don't have to exchange for highs. The scope is coming with Warne Maxima rings that I intend to replace but I may just order bases for those as well so I have another option. I really like the Burris Signature DD's though so I'm hoping I can clear the bolt with them.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The scope is coming with Warne Maxima rings that I intend to replace but I may just order bases for those as well so I have another option.

That may be the way to go.

A 4-16x50 Swarovski PH with a 30mm tube works just fine for me in Warne mediums on a short action 700 with a varmint contour barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
strosfann,

I have a 30mm tube with 50mm objective in Burris medium Signatures on my K14. The barrel clears quite easily. I don't have an issue at the other end because the rifle has three lugs.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
strosfann,
I have the same model Meopta as you on a LA Ruger 77MKII, had to go to high rings with Ruger rings; every ring maker has the arbitrary "medium". So like Pete E and others have stated, you won't know until you either have given it a try or someone else has the exact same set-up.
Measuring the Meopta's bell at 2.381, conversely my Kahles 50mm scope has a bell of 2.209. Quite the range!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.