-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,this was bone dry in the snow,MPAJ...as per usual.

Just sayin'.............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I can make mine shoot that big,but the temps gotta be low,I need to be soaked and the wind needs to be beyond "brisk",to lower my core temp enough to get me shaking that much.

Would love to hear speeds too,so if only to letcha REALLY ring the bell..............

4432 FPS I believe...it was quick. Didn't have a chrono back then but I've got an eye for such things.

Bruz

Last edited by Bruzer; 01/23/11.

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Points for Imagination,as per always................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In fairness,this was bone dry in the snow,MPAJ...as per usual.

Just sayin'.............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You are good. I've never figured a way to take a photo of myself while shootin. Course us Southerners are basic folk.....Don't really have the ego to support such creativeness.

Bruz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts is facts and they is often unsettling to them that don't do much..................

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Facts is facts and they is often unsettling to them that don't do much..................

I love facts...don't do as much as some but more than most and know what works for me. This Ti didn't so in some of the fancy speak I've heard round here "I tripped it" to someone who could hopefully find some use.

Bruz

Bruz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things more satisfying,than procuring rifles that "don't shoot".

What else are you tripping?....................

Coyote Hunter, thanks for the advice and explanations. I will definitely give your method a shot.

Some of the other things I've done to the rifle is free float the barrel and replaced the trigger with a Timney trigger set at 3 lbs. I was going to replace the scope I have on there now with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40, but I may have to wait on that one.

But yeah, I am rather disappointed with the accuracy of this rifle when comparing it to what other people are getting on this website. Who knows, it could be the operator contributing to the problem. We will see, I will keep you posted on my results. Thanks again for your input.

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Trippin a Marlin 308MX right now I bought off a friend in need....course it's blue/wood and Micky don't make a Popsicle lookin stock for it.

Robert

Bruz

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Weren't so bad.

[Linked Image]

For conversation,the Montucky 223AI's belly is full of 62TSX seated to kiss and I reckon I'll have me another victim to the boat,here in no time...............

Sister just gets prettier every year.

I must have not done something right. My girls would have told me to get [bleep] had I offered to let them wade in an icy stream.

Was hoping the grandkids would be a bit tougher. But, so far, they are fair weather fishermen also.

Though you can not tell from this pic, as she had just awakened from a nap on from the ride home from the lake, the oldest loves to slay crappies.

[Linked Image]

And we are teaching the little ones what trout are for.

[Linked Image]

I am too ignorant to run a real camera, so I make do with my P/S Fuji S7000.

Wish I had today, what I invested in this one eight years ago. A guy could buy one heck of a DSLR.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Palerider3
Coyote Hunter, thanks for the advice and explanations. I will definitely give your method a shot.

Some of the other things I've done to the rifle is free float the barrel and replaced the trigger with a Timney trigger set at 3 lbs. I was going to replace the scope I have on there now with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40, but I may have to wait on that one.

But yeah, I am rather disappointed with the accuracy of this rifle when comparing it to what other people are getting on this website. Who knows, it could be the operator contributing to the problem. We will see, I will keep you posted on my results. Thanks again for your input.

Palerider3 �

You are welcome � hope it works for you as it has for me.

Some folks claim floating the barrel can decrease group size and that makes sense as long as the barrel/stock contact remains constant. What is does do is it eliminates POI changes due to changes in the pressure the stock puts on the barrel because of changes in temperature or humidity or whatever. While zeroing my first centerfire the POI kept moving up and to the left and I kept chasing it with adjustments. Problem turned out to be pressure at the forearm tip changed as the barrel warmed up and heated the wood, which expanded as it warmed up. Floating the barrel fixed that and I�ve floated the barrel on all my bolt guns ever since. I still get MOA or better on most with favored loads, more than adequate for my hunting needs, and I�ll continue to float the bolt guns.

Your disappointment on the Rem M700 doesn�t surprise me. I have a 1978 M700 BDL .308 Win that shoots bugholes and a 2005 M700 .30-06 that does 1-1/4� on a good day. A friend has an M700 .30-06 of the same vintage and it shoots the same as mine � disappointing but good enough for hunting. Doesn�t matter what we feed them, factory or handloads. Can happen with any manufacturer�s rifles, though.

A good trigger helps, as does good and consistent technique. Can�t help you much there as my technique isn�t going to win any competitions.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/24/11. Reason: spelling

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bruzer
I can make mine shoot that big,but the temps gotta be low,I need to be soaked and the wind needs to be beyond "brisk",to lower my core temp enough to get me shaking that much.

Would love to hear speeds too,so if only to letcha REALLY ring the bell..............

4432 FPS I believe...it was quick. Didn't have a chrono back then but I've got an eye for such things.

Bruz

Is that a Typo? or are you coating your barrel with a new non-caloric silicon-based kitchen lubricant that creats a surface 500 times more slippery than any cooking oil?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bruzer

Trippin a Marlin 308MX right now I bought off a friend in need....course it's blue/wood and Micky don't make a Popsicle lookin stock for it.

Robert

You mean MPI...................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Weren't so bad.

[Linked Image]

For conversation,the Montucky 223AI's belly is full of 62TSX seated to kiss and I reckon I'll have me another victim to the boat,here in no time...............

Sister just gets prettier every year.

I must have not done something right. My girls would have told me to get [bleep] had I offered to let them wade in an icy stream.

Was hoping the grandkids would be a bit tougher. But, so far, they are fair weather fishermen also.

Though you can not tell from this pic, as she had just awakened from a nap on from the ride home from the lake, the oldest loves to slay crappies.

[Linked Image]

And we are teaching the little ones what trout are for.

[Linked Image]

I am too ignorant to run a real camera, so I make do with my P/S Fuji S7000.

Wish I had today, what I invested in this one eight years ago. A guy could buy one heck of a DSLR.

Weather weren't balmy today,either and I found icebergs a timber patch along the ocean.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My 1D3 was $5000 a couple years ago and now a guy can snare one for under $2K.

Not a bad Age currently,in which to be procuring DSLR bodies.................

Going back out to the range today. Will let you know how things went.

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty".

Okay so the day out at the range went good, found 2 excellent powders for the Rem 700 30-06 with 150 TTSX. Reloder 15 at 51 grains and H4895 b/t 50-51 grains (I could tell any difference in group size). The 2 powders and charges listed above gave me the "cloverleaf" (1/2 inch) and man I was stoked because I thought I had a gun that wouldn't shoot for anything. Also Ordered a Zeiss 3x9x40 scope on Friday. Looking forward to putting that on the 06.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a winner. I sure love those barnes,wish they could do something about their .284 BC's.

Last edited by Badley; 01/30/11.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 270 Win shoots the Barnes 130gr TSX and my 7mm-08 the 140gr TSX very accurately. Guess what, both loads have the TSX bullet seated to the middle of the first groove. I've never had any luck with TSX's loaded closer to the lands. Thanks for the info.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever kiss one?

Imagine that...pun intended...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody got a picture of a loaded round to see where the TTSX is seated? That would be helpful. thanks.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.