Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
And in early 1975 a middle manager in Ilion approached a packing/shipping clerk asking, �Hey, have you seen that specially stocked LH Model 700 I ordered the custom shop to make up for me?�

Oops�

wink

As funny as it sounds, it could be true! LOl.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Remington, in that vintage put tape seals with their logo on each box. Well Ralph, the store owner, was left handed so he stocked a lot of left handed equipment. I would be reasonably certain that if he had opened that for a customer and the customer didn't take it, it would have been his, period. Lol.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I purchased my first LH 700's in 270 & 7mm Mag in 74 or 75 just can't remember. The 270 is still in the family gave it to my son and the 7mm is now a 25 STW. I already had a LH 788 in 6mm i purchased in 72 .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
XLTFX4,
That is absolutely the nicest wood I have ever seen on a factory Remington production rifle. I have an ADL made in '88-89 timeframe and it doesn't compare.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Thanks, devnull. Remington always used nice looking wood in my observation. Even the wood without added "figure" was always quality wood. Better quality than a lot of other manufacturers used.
This was just a case of being in the right place at the right time and getting very lucky.
Believe it or not, there is a downside. This stock is as heavy as a lead bar! I hunted with the rifle for one or two seasons and that was enough lugging for me. I haven't used it in 30 years. Nowadays, my go to gun is a Remington 700BDL LH in .30-06 made in 1984 with a nice quarter sawn plain stock of American Walnut that weighs WELL over a pound less than the 7mm!

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
IC B2

H
Huntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
This thread brings back memeories! I was riding my motorcycle in Spring 1975 and stopped at a big local gun dealer. Was looking at the relatively new LH Rem 700's. I wanted to see one so I asked the dealer which one he had in stock. Have'em all, he said, which one do you want to see? I've always been one to want something different, so I said let me see the 7mm gun. He brought one out, cut the tape on the box open and pushed it towards me. I opened the box, saw the wood, threw the lid on the box down and said I'll take it. He said " Wow, that gun has beautiful wood." I made him write it up on the spot with that serial number until I could return with a car to pick it up. He did so grudgingly because he was also left handed. LOL.

Made 12/74, Buehler scope mounts, Leupold 2-7 scope, most beautiful American Walnut Fiddleback stock I've ever seen.

[Linked Image]

Wow, that truly is a beauty!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by HUNTNFISH
Always wanted an old press-checkered BDL 7 Mag.Did Remington ever make the LH 7mm Mag. with the blued stainless barrel? They gotta be out there but I've never found one for sale!

The stainless/ blued 7mm only made it to about 67. I've owned two RH, 63 and 67 and my buddy has the 264. After 67 I think Remington figured out they didn't need SS for these over bore rounds. I have a 67 LH Savage 110, not marked but I'm relatively certain that it's blued SS.

Now I see even more why I want a 73, love the pressed checkering

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I see a lot of nice rifles on this forum. Usually I console myself with, oh well, it's right-handed. No consolation for that gun, XL. That's the nicest wood I've seen on a left hander, that I can think of. Jealous as heck.

Ella

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by HUNTNFISH
Always wanted an old press-checkered BDL 7 Mag.Did Remington ever make the LH 7mm Mag. with the blued stainless barrel? They gotta be out there but I've never found one for sale!

Yep, I bought a lefty 700 7mag with the pressed checkering outside a Baltimore gun shop for $210.00 which included 1 box of rem 150 gr ammo with 4 shells missing. I got 3089 with H-1000 and the old Nosler 162 gr solid base. I don't have it any longer but I think it was blued stainless.

The gun shop had 3 lefty rem 700 in 7mag in stock and did not want to take it in trade so they let me buy the rifle in the parking lot. The fellow went back in and bought a shotgun.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 02/10/11.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
This thread brings back memeories! I was riding my motorcycle in Spring 1975 and stopped at a big local gun dealer. Was looking at the relatively new LH Rem 700's. I wanted to see one so I asked the dealer which one he had in stock. Have'em all, he said, which one do you want to see? I've always been one to want something different, so I said let me see the 7mm gun. He brought one out, cut the tape on the box open and pushed it towards me. I opened the box, saw the wood, threw the lid on the box down and said I'll take it. He said " Wow, that gun has beautiful wood." I made him write it up on the spot with that serial number until I could return with a car to pick it up. He did so grudgingly because he was also left handed. LOL.

Made 12/74, Buehler scope mounts, Leupold 2-7 scope, most beautiful American Walnut Fiddleback stock I've ever seen.

[Linked Image]

WOW!!!!!!!!!! no wonder you have kept it all these years.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 02/10/11.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
$210.00 was a steal! The press-checkered stocks had that "squared" fore end that just fits in your hand.My grandfather had a 270 that I used to stare at in his gun cabinet when I was about 8 yrs. old.Just a young rifle loony then.Good memories!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All 700's had pressed checkering until '72 or '73. I'd like to see the date code on bwitty72's 270 LH.
It's just ahead of the receiver on the left side of the barrel. Two letters together. If it is 1973 the second letter will be X
'72 would be W

A few years ago I tore apart a stainless barreled 7 Mag that dated 1970

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its a '73. I called Remington and verified as well.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bwitty72
Its a '73. I called Remington and verified as well.

'73 was obviously the change over year...my records show I had a 700 Varmint in 25-06 with a XX date code...Dec. '73, it had the solid cut checkered stock....they changed to skip line checkering about 1980-81,..I've owned 700 BDL's that dated to both '80 and '81 with both styles of checkering.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
T
T
Hi,
Doing a search on 700LH models I found this forum, so I signed up! THIS IS MY FIRST POST!

Here's my 700LH, indeed an early BDL variant and made in October 1973, the same month I got married! Forty years later I have full intentions to keep both of 'em around for another forty years, the Good Lord Willing!

As you can see, mine's surely got some good ol' evidence of a little tree rash, as she's no safe queen! Nope, she's spent many a beautiful morning enjoying the sunrise high in a climber, but I've taken care of her.

She's also a tackdriver (for a .270), consistently under 3/4" @ 100 yds with her favorite round (Winchester's now-discontinued 140gn. Failsafe). I still have a couple of hundred bullets though, so I'm good for quite a while I hope! Additionally, I mainly hunt with a handgun, using the .270 only if the shot can't be accomplished humanely with the Model 29 .44 Magnum, so I think I'm set ammo-wise for a while.

Thanks for "looking and listening!" - Tom

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tomturner; 12/14/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

70 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 14 invisible), 1,055 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,487
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.