Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This has also been posted this custom rifles and wildcats forum but has received no replies as yet...

How did a Remington "Custom" manufactured back in 1973 differ from a BDL or a "Safari" grade? Were these rifles more accurate because of the many hand fitting stages during production?

What do you suppose a mint .270 is worth today if the Custom "C" rifles sold for $500.- back in 1977, twice the price of a standard BDL?

Thanks for your replies.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Believe the C's of that era were genuine products of Remingtons Custom shop. All that I have seen and/or handled had well fitted, nicely finished, warm color walnut stocks.
The BDLs were production guns with some pretty marginal stamped checkering and a high gloss finish. Maybe they were trying to emulate the Weatherby's of the day. Generally good shooters though.
The few folks that were smart enough, lucky enough, or shrewd enough, to own one of the C rifles never seem to part with them. I have never seen one I would not liked to have owned.
As to value, I don't know, but they should bring some sort of premium.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by olgrouser

How did a Remington "Custom" manufactured back in 1973 differ from a BDL or a "Safari" grade? Were these rifles more accurate because of the many hand fitting stages during production?

Maybe. I would guess the odds were it would be a bit more accurate. Exactly how much checking of chamber, receiver, and bolt alignment was done I don't know.

What do you suppose a mint .270 is worth today if the Custom "C" rifles sold for $500.- back in 1977, twice the price of a standard BDL?

Given that most M700 (BDL or otherwise) asking prices are often quite a bit more than what they actually sell for, I am going to say $200-$300 more for a C Grade.

In other words, unless it's LNIB, I'd say somewhere between $500 and $700.

Blued, standard contour barrels, chambered in L/A cartridges, are pretty common and not currently in the same demand as SS, Mtn barrels, and S/A rifles......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Given that most M700 (BDL or otherwise) asking prices are often quite a bit more than what they actually sell for, I am going to say $200-$300 more for a C Grade.

In other words, unless it's LNIB, I'd say somewhere between $500 and $700.

Casey

Your "advice" would be great if this were 1991.

Even in this economy, $500 -$700 will barely buy a nice used STANDARD m700 BDL made in the 1970's let alone a "C" grade custom shop gun.

Used Walnut stocked m700 custom shop "C" grade rifles in nice shape start at $1,000. They have commanded those prices for at least 15 years or so. Only a damn fool would give one away for less.

The "C" grades are VERY easy to distinguish form the regular BDL rifles. I have NEVER seen one without AA-AA grade figure in the wood. Also, the tips and grip caps are Rosewood- not black plastic.

If it can be verified as a 1970's custom shop "C" grade, has nicely figured wood and is truly mint- the gun is worth about $1,250 to $1,500.

Last edited by jim62; 02/12/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There are dozens of used BDLs on Gunbroker completed auctions, that either sold or didn't even draw a bid at under $500.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jim62

Even in this economy, $500 -$700 will barely buy a nice used STANDARD m700 BDL made in the 1970's let alone a "C" grade custom shop gun.

I don't know where you're at, but everywhere else--including the Campfire's own classifieds a standard M700 doesn't sell for for that.

Whether it is the prices here in Colorado, or KSL in Utah, or Gunbroker, watch what happens when a hopeful (and sometimes naive) seller tires to get those prices....they set there, and set there........and set there......

Asking price and selling price are two different things. And in the post 2008 market, bolt rifles are a dime-a-dozen.

Originally Posted by jim62

Used Walnut stocked m700 custom shop "C" grade rifles in nice shape start at $1,000. They have commanded those prices for at least 15 years or so. Only a damn fool would give one away for less.

The "C" grades are VERY easy to distinguish form the regular BDL rifles. I have NEVER seen one without AA-AA grade figure in the wood. Also, the tips and grip caps are Rosewood- not black plastic.

If it can be verified as a 1970's custom shop "C" grade, has nicely figured wood and is truly mint- the gun is worth about $1,250 to $1,500.

See above.....

Casey

Last edited by alpinecrick; 02/12/11.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
There are dozens of used BDLs on Gunbroker completed auctions, that either sold or didn't even draw a bid at under $500.

Bullschit.

LOOK at those auction listings.

Don't confuse plastic stocked SPS and ADLs with BDLs

There are NO walnut stocked BDLs that sell for less than $500 on that site regularly. The ones that get "no bids" have RESERVE prices over $500 them have reserve price(Which is why nobody bid).

Hell, a brand new NIB BDL now costs over $750 wholesale.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Casey,

You are talking out of your ass on this one. You need to actually LOOK at the classifieds here and see what is going on rather than just make schit up.

We are NOT talking about PLASTIC STOCKED SPS, ADLs etc.

Any WALNUT STOCKED m700 BDL you see listed on the campfire classifieds brings $500+++ if its in mint rifle. Period.
If its an older vintage gun in a short action caliber- they sell for even more.

As a matter of fact, you rarely see them for sale anymore.

Folks now how much the BDLS have gone up. A NIB BDL currently made runs $800 + in most gun shops.

Bottom line is anyone who sells a "C" grade m700 for the prices YOU quoted is a damn fool.

To all gunmaker critics-
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Save your internet gutter talk for those who are impressed with your wishfull thinking.

Either act like a human being or I'm done with you.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Save your internet gutter talk for those who are impressed with your wishfull thinking.

Either act like a human being or I'm done with you.

Casey

Wishfull thing?

YOU are the IDIOT who is advising a man to GIVE AWAY a mint condition m700 "C" grade for $700 or less.

As far as being "done" with me? You flatter yourself ,moron.

I only responded to your DRIVEL above so that the OP here would not give his rifle away based on your IGNORANT "advice".

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for your responses. A little update...

The 700 "C" according to the 1967 "Shooters Bible" came with the following features:

1) target rifle trigger pull
2) hand checkered walnut stocks, rosewood fore end and grip cap
3) hand fitting
4) hand lapped and hand bedded, highly polished barrel

The particle Model "C" I'm PURCHASING is chambered for .270 Win with a 24 barrel, no sights but a Weaver V9 Micro-trac scope. It's been a "safe queen" all it's days, running 98-99% condition metal and wood.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Okay, you can't act like a human being.

Carry on....
Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Okay, you can't act like a human being.

Carry on....
Casey

And you are not even smart enough to BE Human.

GFY.

Bye.

To all gunmaker critics-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for your responses. A little update...

The 700 "C" according to the 1967 "Shooters Bible" came with the following features:

1) target rifle trigger pull
2) hand checkered walnut stocks, rosewood fore end and grip cap
3) hand fitting
4) hand lapped and hand bedded, highly polished barrel

The particle Model "C" I'm PURCHASING is chambered for .270 Win with a 24 barrel, no sights but a Weaver V9 Micro-trac scope. It's been a "safe queen" all it's days, running 98-99% condition metal and wood.

What does the amount wood figure look like?

They do vary a bit. The fancier the wood the higher the value-

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do a Google search with Remington Custom Shop grade C and you'll find none that went for less than a grand. There're 3 thousand list new

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Do a Google search with Remington Custom Shop grade C and you'll find none that went for less than a grand. There're 3 thousand list new

Exactly.

m700 "C" grades have been over $2,000 new for about 10 years now.

To all gunmaker critics-
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

But for every one that sells for $1000+, there are those that don't sell at all. Or sell for less.

It's kinda' like M700 Classics. One sold for $600 on the classifeds here recently, then there are a half dozen that sold for less, or not at all.

But everybody remembers the high priced one that sold.

As realtors like to say--Everybody remembers the $200k home that sold for $220k, but everybody forgets about the other nine $200k houses that sold for $190K.

But if you find a minty 99% condition 1970's era BDL or Classic, it is worth more too.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The walnut is a simply fiddleback probably only AA grade, not as highly figured as some of the later rifles I've seen. The tiger striping is consistent front to back, evenly on both sides.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

But for every one that sells for $1000+, there are those that don't sell at all. Or sell for less.

Casey

Pull your head out of your ass, dummy.

Stop making schit up to prop up your lame argument.

Show any of us ONE documented case in the last year where a mint condition custom shop Remington m700 "C" grade-In ANY caliber ,of ANY vintage- sold for less than a grand.

To all gunmaker critics-
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The walnut is a simply fiddleback probably only AA grade, not as highly figured as some of the later rifles I've seen. The tiger striping is consistent front to back, evenly on both sides.

Well, wood figure type is a matter of taste, but full fiddleback the length of the stock would definitely be "C" grade wood.

To all gunmaker critics-
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.