Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have a friend who owns an '86 in .33 WCF (which, I believe, was the most common chambering for this classic). Kinda neat story: when he was a kid, he used to borrow it from a widow lady in our small Upper Peninsula (Michigan) town during deer season. One season, he offered to buy it. Price: $10! (This was, perhaps, 50 years ago, still...)

The classic has been stored away for a while. I've been trying to talk him into putting the rifle back in business. I noticed this week that Midway has Lee .33 WCF dies, at normal Lee prices. I've also found a company that makes the old Hornady 200 gr. FP. Anybody have experience loading this old war horse...or using one, for that matter?

PC

Last edited by PeterCartwright; 02/13/11.
GB1

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
In the immortal words of Ben Stein: "Anyone?....Anyone? frown

PC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've never used one, had it's big brother, the .348, and have load data in a Hornady manual. But, never pulled the trigger on one.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Peter, i have a bunch of winchesters and a couple 1895 marlins in .33 caliber. I dont hunt them but i have friends that do ,and they like them for thick brush hunting. Don

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the responses. It would seem that the good old .33 WCF is pretty much off the radar screen even among the levergun hardcore. Too bad. Seems like a nice medium range cartridge, but the .348 certainly makes it look pretty tame.

PC

IC B2

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 33 WCF was the first smokeless only round for the 1886. The parent case is the 45-70, necked to .338 cal. The 33 was pretty popular out here.
Locally, the old 33 carbine accounted for Lion, Bear, Elk, and Deer. Recently it was sold off before I knew about it. If I had known, I would have stopped that sale, and gotten ahold of it myself.
I admit to being a little jealous of your association with the 33. I already miss shouldering that great 1886. For us, and our mountains, it was as good a cartridge as anyone ever needed.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Well, Mak, just to be clear, the rifle doesn't belong to me. I haven't even seen it. My friend has been telling me about it for a few years and I've just started bugging him about bringing the old girl out of mothballs. He's not a gunny and has no knowledge of how relatively easy it would be to get him into some safe, good, handloads. i've offered to help him. Ultimately, the choice is entirely his.

When I was a kid, I remember holding my uncles '71/.348 with awe. I just can't imaging having an '86 in good shape without doing something with it. Then again, I'm not a collector, I'm a user.

PC

Last edited by PeterCartwright; 02/16/11.
M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OK, I stand corrected.
I think the issue with the 33 today is that it is hovering somewhere around "collector" status. Last time I was at the big independent gun store, they had a 33 in the take down. With zero blue, shrunken stocks, and slight pitting, they wanted $1,850-and were not in any mood to negotiate.
Guess I'm getting too old, but for the life of me, I could not figure how they could demand that kind of coin.
Out of interest, you said you found a source that is making the Hornady bullet? Would that be Hawk bullets?
We used to take Remington 45-70 brass because it was thin, and neck it down to 338 cal in a couple steps. Brass loss was pretty high, but the 33 chamber was tight, so the cases never needed a lot of re-sizing.
The 33 caliber was pretty much invented by Winchester, and it is still a good one.
I think I know what you mean by the awe of those 71's and their .348 cartridge to young eyes. Something about blue steel and real wood, the smell of oil, and the heft of a real rifle. Nothing else like it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I just gave an entire box of 33WCF to a dealer at a gun show.

There wasn't a dealer there that knew the 86 came in the 33.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I recall correctly, the last new 33 WCF's were made in the mid 1930's. This round was only offered in the 1886, and the 1885 single-shot. This means that no new guns have been made for longer than some folks live. They might have been made available on a limited basis after this date as Winchester used up the parts, but the 71 was the successor to the '86, and the 348 was the successor to the 33.
Ever since the ol carbine slipped away, I've been looking to replace it, but the prices demanded even for examples that need a gunsmith are on the long side of ridiculous, especially considering that factory ammunition has not been available since the 1970's.
Dad's carbine was a shooter, and that's what this next 33 will be, when I find one for a realistic price. Wish I'd a known you before you gave that box away-was it Remington, or Winchester?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Looks like Midway has the brass, too; albeit a bit expensive... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=541144

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I saw a nice one for sale in Cody WY around 86 for around $400-500 as I recall. Thought if only it was some other caliber regret not buying it. It was in great condition as I recall just did not know anything about the caliber.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mak, They made a few 71's in 33. also !!!! grin less then 10 if i remember correctly, a friend has one and i been after it for years !!! crazy Don

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don,
Is there any way you can post a picture?
I've heard about the 71 in 33 for so long now, I can't count the years, but you are the first person who has actually verified they were more than factory prototypes.
KK,
I've seen examples that wouldn't be fit for paint stirrers going for $2,600 + tax. Honestly, I wonder who is crazy enough to pay this much for so little.
The 1886 is a great gun, but used is used, and used up is gone. Considering that Winchester/Miroku regularly release new production 1886's, for less than half this coin, I wonder what these folks are drinking when they come with these prices.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mak, It s not my rifle, the fellow that owns it is a member here, he lives about 80 miles from me. I can see if he will send me the serial number, i have had it in my hand the barrel is roll stamped ,winchester model 71 .33 cal., pretty neat ,i got to figure out how to add it to my model 71 collection !!! grin Don

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don,
If your friend is a member, maybe he wouldn't mind sharing with the few of us who love the 33 a few pics? Maybe too hopeful, but I'd like to see one, even if its just a photo.
Have also heard that there a few 71's floating around in 45-70, but that's for another topic!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PC, Who is the company making the old Hornady 200 grain flat nosed .338" bullet? I could use some of those. My .33 is a take-down '86 lightweight and while I don't use it very much I do have the dies, bullet moulds, and plenty of ammo. It's a great brush gun with the same general performance as the .35 Remington.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mak, He doesent take photos, but i did talk with him ,its a deluxe ,long tang, 13,xxx serial range, He did say he talked with George Maddis years ago about it and they made only a few of them. and they also made few in 45-70. Don

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx, Don.
Sounds like its an especially nice one!
Mike,
In terms of .338" flat nose bullets suitable for the 33 WCF, you can shoot cast, and RCBS still makes a mold for a 200 grain pill, or you can visit Hawk premium bullets. They offer three different weights for the 33, have for a long time.
I don't have any knowledge of the bullets PC is referring to, if he is talking someone other than Hawk-however, Hawk bullets are pretty darn good, if you need jacketed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bought a 90% solid frame, Extra Lightweight in the mid '90s at a WACA show for $500....it had been D&T for a Lyman receiver sight and I lucked into a 38 at that same show....Vince McMahon had it and we installed it at his table....sight cost me $400 and I was happy to get it...

Killed a nice buck with it and the 200 Hornady FP....fortunately, I have a stash of those bullets which I gathered up over the years before they were discontinued....the load is a moderate one, running around 2200 fps and produces groups in the 2 inch range....

For once in my life I was at the right place at the right time.....didn't hurt that the rifle's seller was a Winchester purist who couldn't stand the sight of that rifle with the extra holes in the receiver.....

I have handled 71s in both the .33 and .45/70....very high dolllar guns....and most befitting of the admonition about caveat emptor....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

377 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.