-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Example: Can you use RCBS Dies in a Lee Press or a Hornady Press?

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Normally (most always) the threads are the same, unless you have some random obsolete or specialized dies.

My rockchucker press uses dies from Hornaday, RCBS and Redding all equally well.

Never tried LEE, Lyman or Dillon though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can use Lee, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady dies in any Lee or Hornady press.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Yes. Today's presses and dies are interchangable. There are some older presses/dies out there that have different threads.

Some presses have a larger hole and different thread count so cartridges like the BMG can be sized/seated, but usually inserts are available so "regular" dies can be used.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep in mind that you might have to adjust the depth of the die in a different press. In a couple of cases I have found this to be a critical setting. Just something to be aware of.

Jim

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The only non-interchangable dies are some 40 year old Lymans and Dillon dies for their Square Deal B press. Dies and current hell holders made in the last several decades will interchange.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
boomtube,

I probably worded my comment badly. I know the dies will go into various presses. The point I was trying to make was that when set up in one make of die (i.e. as to how far into the press the die was set) sometimes they had to be adjusted somewhat to obtain the same degree of sizing on the case. Hope this clarifies my comment.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just follow the die makers instructions - RCBS wants a little cam-over for FL resizing, Redding doesn't. Minor differences.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just follow the die makers instructions

The directions supplied with full length sizer dies will usually have you sizing your brass a good bit more than necessary.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm quite sure that if you use a Lee die in a RCBS press, then all the green paint peels off the RCBS press!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I understand your question. I found Lee dies to be a tight fit in my Lee Classic press. Lee dies are a bit shorter as well as being plainly finished,and the opening on the Classic is tall. Using Lee locknuts,I like to put a jam-nut behind,then I never have to worry about it moving.There is only about a couple of threads left over. I like Hornady/Foster style of clamp lock nut better,and don't like the RCBS damage the threads set screw.When I made some locknuts, I used nylon set screws.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

The directions supplied with full length sizer dies will usually have you sizing your brass a good bit more than necessary.

Boy Hoydy!!! Learn how to measure your brass at the C/L datum of the shoulder and enjoy many-many more loads than most people would ever think they could. Just a .003 shoulder bump is all I use.....but you don't know you have done this without measuring.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

Maybe, maybe not, depending on the size of your rifle's chamber. Start with the basic instructions, then learn and advance.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Your question was a little confusing.Any die with 7/8-14 threads(which is most) will fit any press with the same threads(again,this is most of them).Once adjusted and locked down,they will need to be re-adjusted if used in other presses.No two presses are exactly the same,even with the same brand.As far as how we adjust these dies,a whole new thread could be started.If you already figgered it out,sorry for the newby info.It did not sound like you got the answer to your question. Lightman

lightman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.