Print Thread
Hop To
S
super T Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I've got twenty pounds or so of silver salmon I got this past summer that I want to smoke. I've got an electric smoke, but I've never smoked fish.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the following brine

2 1/2 gallons water
7.5 oz insta-cure #1 (pink salt)
2 1/2 oz brown sugar
1 lb salt
2 tsp cracked pepper
5 bay leaves
2 tbsp liquid smoke (optional)

Depends on how thick your salmon is for the proper brining time

with about a 1 1/2 lb fish I brine 16 hrs

can take up to 36hrs for large fish

I hang about a half hour while the smoker preheats to 100
then I hang in smoker with air flow only for an hour to form pellicle

then heavy smoke to about 150 degrees working my way to 180

total smoke about 5 hrs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow! All I can say is wow!

Bettin' you are a beer drinker...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by super T
I've got twenty pounds or so of silver salmon I got this past summer that I want to smoke. I've got an electric smoke, but I've never smoked fish.

Good fish needs nothing beyond brown sugar and non-iodized salt, 2:1. There is absolutely no point in adding nitrates and nitrites to your food...

Salmon fillets cut in chunks, for silvers about 6 pieces per fillet works best for my set-up, but it is completely non-critical. Try to keep them all about the same size, though.

A food grade 5-gallon plastic bucket works well for brining. I usually boil about a gallon of water and dissolve the brown sugar and salt in it to create a hypertonic solution. After boiling it gets poured into about a gallon of cold water in the brine bucket. I let this cool further while preparing the fish.

Brine for about 90 minutes, stirring at least several times during the soak. Rinse VERY quickly under cold running water and arrange on smoker racks. Allow to dry until a good pellicle forms which should be dry to the touch and look a little glassy.

Use lots of smoke to start and keep the temperature way down... Salmon smoking should NEVER exceed 140F, especially with silvers and kings. The oils will break through the pellicle and denature to ugly white blobs. Kings and silvers are the hardest to control because kings are super oily and silvers are very wet fish.

Smoke does not need to be continuous, but heat must be fairly consistent. Smoke for an hour or two is plenty and it is easy to smoke too much.

Wood makes a big difference in taste and using blends of different woods is usually better... Alder is a favorite local wood here, but lots of fruit woods, mesquite, black cherry, hickory, and maple add a lot especially in small doses.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I mix 2 parts Brown sugar and one part rock salt.
Layer it in a big plastic bowl, layer of fish skin down, layer of salt/sugar mix, fish skin up, salt/sugar, fish skin down, repeat until bowl is full, put a paper towel over it and in the fridge overnight. Take it out the next day, rinse in cold water real well. After rinsing I lay the fish out on paper towels or news paper for about one hour to dry a little, then smoke for two hours. I only smoke fish for one hour if it's going to get canned.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Good fish needs nothing beyond brown sugar and non-iodized salt, 2:1. There is absolutely no point in adding nitrates and nitrites to your food...

Salmon fillets cut in chunks, for silvers about 6 pieces per fillet works best for my set-up, but it is completely non-critical. Try to keep them all about the same size, though.

A food grade 5-gallon plastic bucket works well for brining. I usually boil about a gallon of water and dissolve the brown sugar and salt in it to create a hypertonic solution. After boiling it gets poured into about a gallon of cold water in the brine bucket. I let this cool further while preparing the fish.

Brine for about 90 minutes, stirring at least several times during the soak. Rinse VERY quickly under cold running water and arrange on smoker racks. Allow to dry until a good pellicle forms which should be dry to the touch and look a little glassy.

Use lots of smoke to start and keep the temperature way down... Salmon smoking should NEVER exceed 140F, especially with silvers and kings. The oils will break through the pellicle and denature to ugly white blobs. Kings and silvers are the hardest to control because kings are super oily and silvers are very wet fish.

Smoke does not need to be continuous, but heat must be fairly consistent. Smoke for an hour or two is plenty and it is easy to smoke too much.

Wood makes a big difference in taste and using blends of different woods is usually better... Alder is a favorite local wood here, but lots of fruit woods, and maple add a lot especially in small doses.
+1

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
super T Online Happy OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, to all who responded. I think I'm going with the brown sugar/salt route. And will use apple wood. Troy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jamie
Layer it in a big plastic bowl, layer of fish skin down, layer of salt/sugar mix, fish skin up, salt/sugar, fish skin down, repeat until bowl is full, put a paper towel over it and in the fridge overnight. Take it out the next day, rinse in cold water real well. After rinsing I lay the fish out on paper towels or news paper for about one hour to dry a little, then smoke for two hours. I only smoke fish for one hour if it's going to get canned.

Between the rock salt and the time that could be salty... Long-term dry brining is very hard to control IME&O. I also have found all fish should be oriented skin side down when dry brining or it will produce very uneven results.

Sometimes there is an adequate pellicle in an hour, but often it takes quite a bit longer. A fan makes a huge difference...
art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, to all who responded. I think I'm going with the brown sugar/salt route. And will use apple wood. Troy.

Apple is good smoke, but it can get bitter... I would suggest apple with another wood like alder, hickory, or maple...
art

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jamie

Between the rock salt and the time that could be salty... Long-term dry brining is very hard to control IME&O. I also have found all fish should be oriented skin side down when dry brining or it will produce very uneven results.

Sometimes there is an adequate pellicle in an hour, but often it takes quite a bit longer. A fan makes a huge difference...
art

If it's not rinsed real well when taken out of the brine it will be salty

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
For my tastes, hickory is for meat, not fish. I prefer straight alder for salmon.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wood makes a big difference in taste and using blends of different woods is usually better... Alder is a favorite local wood here, but lots of fruit woods, mesquite, black cherry, hickory, and maple add a lot especially in small doses.

How much B sugar and salt per gallon do you use for your brine?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
For my tastes, hickory is for meat, not fish. I prefer straight alder for salmon.

Yeah right!

Show me a straight alder!

Tried to make a joke about a straight "alder" boy and gave up for obvious reasons! wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"How much B sugar and salt per gallon do you use for your brine?"

I usually use about 3 cups brown sugar or so and half that for salt... But that ends up in 2 gallons of water and does about 30-35# of salmon.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a wet brine. 2 gal of distilled water, 3 cups dark brown sugar, 1-1.25 cups of non iodized salt and 1 cup of dark molasses. Prior to placing the fish in the brine I wash in a solution of lemon juice and water, rinse with clean water and then into the brine. Now that we have refridgeration, I back off on the salt, although it is still required to mix with the proteins to make the pellicule.
pete
p.s. Art, I ate a jar of the silver. again very tasty...Thanks

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yeah right!

Show me a straight alder!

Tried to make a joke about a straight "alder" boy and gave up for obvious reasons! wink

You're really reaching.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guilty as charged...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.