Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone own one of these. Are they as good as the look? I'm shopping for a synthetic/stainless 375

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oldfenderguy has one and he loves it. I don't think he'd keep a rifle that doesn't shoot or operate well. I'm sure he'll add to what I've said.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've owned one for 6 or 7 years and have found it to be a fine rifle. The factory tupperware stock should be replaced asap(I used a laminated stock), but other than that I would recommend picking one up if you can find one.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, the new M70 extreme weathers use Bell & Carlson stocks which I've only heard good things about, unfortunately they don't make one in 375 H&H. The one I found is pretty mint, only part of one box of shells through it, a safe queen. I think I'm gonna go for it.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've got two of them.I think the barrel is to heavy so I had it turned down and a couple of inches cut off.Then had real sights put on and stuck it in a McMillan.Its my go to now.The other I bought for a 458 Lott project I've yet to do.

Last edited by trapperJ; 02/13/11. Reason: spelling
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Well if I have to put a McMillan stock on it that adds about $600 to the cost of the gun. As far as the barrel being a bit heavy, that will let me put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock to add a bit of weight to the gun and get the balance right. Hmmmmm

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
no real need for the recoil reducer.

i cut mine to 21", and it still weighs 9.5# ready to hunt. still too much IMO.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Great rifles.....

Accurate, function perfectly, and are as fool proof and reliable as a hammer.

I have the 'original stock' on mine and in my opinion it's fine. Never found a need to upgrade the stock to anything else.

The open sights on mine are sighted in for 75 yards, and I use a Vortex Viper 2x7/32 on a Talley steel quick release mount..

The Win M70 Classic Stainless .375 H&H is an excellent rifle that will serve you well for a lifetime.

In fact the only two rifles I use for all my 'centerfire' hunting are my old Win M70 30-06 and my Win M70 375 H&H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds great. I like my rifles to balance at the mid point of the magazine, but that's just me. I have a chance to pick up a mint one. I think I'm going to jump on it. It will be my "light rifle" lol

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love mine. The smoothest action I've felt to date. It feeds great, shoots pretty accurate, and feels good in the hands.It came with the factory sock and I put on a HS- Precision Stock.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by toad
no real need for the recoil reducer.

i cut mine to 21", and it still weighs 9.5# ready to hunt. still too much IMO.

[Linked Image]

Where is the weight located? My pre64 375 H&H weighs 9.5, but it has a 25" BBL, wood stock, with scope and sling.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've never had a model 70, it's about time. This will be my second 375 H&H. For my CZ 550, before I had it rebarreled to 500 Jeffery, I had a nice mild elk load worked up. 250g Swift A-Frames at 2700 fps.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 375H&H Stainless Classic will fit the new Bell & Carlson Winchester Extreme Weather stock. If you know what you're doing, it will take only a few minutes of minor inletting. You will need a spacer for your 2-pc bottom metal, but if it were mine, I'd dump the 2-pc unit for a 1-pc unit. PTG is the current maker of the 1-pc bottom metal for SC Winchester, it is a drop-in fit with the EW stock, same as the older Williams unit.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Where is the weight located? My pre64 375 H&H weighs 9.5, but it has a 25" BBL, wood stock, with scope and sling.

the center of balance is 6.5" foreward of the trigger. the freakin' Classic .375 barrel is a heavy pig.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I don't mind the weight of the Classic Stainless .375, and the heavy barrel works great when taking accurate quick multiple shots at groundhogs and other varmints. cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, but i hate lugging dead weight up the mountain.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I love mine. With the tupperware stock I had a severe wandering zero problem due to the their stupid hot glue gun bedding goop in the recoil lug. The stuff cracked and would always move around. Looking back on it, I could use the factory stock if I was willing to add a few pounds of accraglass to fill up all the recesses in the stock so as to make a more normal bed.

I had the barrel whacked to 20.5 with the front sight remounted, then I put it in a McMillan supergrade stock with talley QDs and peep with a Leupold 1.75-6. I've only ever shot 300 grainers out of it, which are plenty flat out to 300. It's a touch heavy not bad. I've sorted out alot of critters with it though, so its grown on me. The more it grows on me,the less it weighs.

If you want a .375 I'd say get the Winchester.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds good, I decided to wait a bit in the hope Winchester comes out with their Extreme Weather new Model 70 in 375 H&H. They're using a Bell & Carlson stock which I've only heard excellent reports on. I did pass on the contact info for the classic I found to the folks who asked for it.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado
. . . I decided to wait a bit in the hope Winchester comes out with their Extreme Weather new Model 70 in 375 H&H. . . .

You may be in for a long wait. Had I been in your shoes, I would have taken the specimen you found, put a B&C Medalist on it, and been done with it. In the long run, I think you'd would have ended up $$ ahead AND have the gun to enjoy/shoot now AND not have to wonder when Winchester MIGHT decide to bring out a 375 H&H EW. JMHO.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by colorado
. . . I decided to wait a bit in the hope Winchester comes out with their Extreme Weather new Model 70 in 375 H&H. . . .

You may be in for a long wait. Had I been in your shoes, I would have taken the specimen you found, put a B&C Medalist on it, and been done with it. In the long run, I think you'd would have ended up $$ ahead AND have the gun to enjoy/shoot now AND not have to wonder when Winchester MIGHT decide to bring out a 375 H&H EW. JMHO.

You may be right, but for now I'll have my 500 Jeffery restocked with the CZ Bell & Carlson stock, so I can switch back and forth between wood (for Western U.S. and Africa) and synthetic (Alaska), and do all my hunting with it.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.