Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tedthorn's thread caused me to answer the question - what causes the holes we see in Whitetail deer antler beams?

There is a hole or depression on the left antler beam of Tedhorn's 6 point mount and is similiar to ones I have observed over the years.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...st_wanted_to_share_a_picture#Post4931885

I contacted state wildlife biologists in Iowa and Wisconsin for an opinion on the cause of the antler holes. There is no scientific basis for their responses. They were all in agreement that the holes were not caused by insects. Now that is what I thought was the cause...an insect laid an egg in the velvet antler, hatched into larvae stage and emerged.

The majority believed the holes were former blood vessels of the velvet stage. One informant surmised it was due to an injury to the beam, tissue died and as the tissue was drying live antler material grew around it. Another opined that it may be a genetic related antler defect.

This is a Whitetail deer mount that I have that is very similiar to hole in Tedthorn's mount. The hole is 1/4" in diameter and 1/4" deep.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I got some that have holes too, always attributed it to bugs as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting--Thanks for sharing!

B8

Last edited by Big8; 02/17/11.

MK
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
From what I've read, it's caused by bugs when the antlers are in the velvet stage.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, they are caused by parasites during velvet.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmmmmmm...tedthorn and tzone, it seems my sources, PHD Wildlife Biologists within the natural resource departments of Iowa and Wisconsin, need to get their hands on your reading materials.

Can't we trust anything the DNR says?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I couldn't care less either way

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well what do they say it's from? I'm no expert on it that's for sure.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I couldn't care less either way

You are a Show Me State guy. The OP gave us a teachable thread here but was lost on you.

I on the other hand found it very interesting.

Go Ahead And Backup
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by tzone
Well what do they say it's from? I'm no expert on it that's for sure.

I would direct you to the original post for the answer to your question which is no definitative conclusion - varying opinions.

Go Ahead And Backup
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am from Iowa so maybe thems there DNR guys influenced me but, I always thought it was due to a blood vessel or injury. When I think about the blood vessel theory it doesnt make much sense as I dont think growing antlers have large caliber vessels growing in them. The bug theory and injury are basically the same both injury. Dean

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Antlers are the fastest growing true bone that we know of in mammals. They are literally full of blood vessels, and the metabolic rate is very high--when you take hold of one it feels almost hot to the touch. The shape of the holes and the fact that the antler continues to grow around and away from it makes the blood vessel theory seem a little more likely to me.

I have seen tame deer and penned deer with ticks and other kinds of external parasites all over their growing antlers. None of them ever ended up with holes like those in the original post.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Mudhen, The antlers are packed full of blood vessels but I am wondering if they have any large diameter vessels the size of the hole we see in antlers. Seems to me many small cappilary type vessels would be present to lay down all that new antler.
I own some tame deer and know when they get damaged in velvet the blood literally runs out almost to the point that you think they could bleed out. I have a friend that has been in the deer business and has seen more deer antler injuries than I have. I will ask him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I confess that the only antler abnormalities that I have investigated involve those that result from injuries to the legs. I have seen these holes and have never been curious enough about them to do any investigation. The guys that I worked with who would probably know are all deceased, and I haven't spoken with any of the guys who work on antler development these days.

I will make a couple of inquiries to guys in Texas that still work with antler development in penned deer--maybe they will know the answer,

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I talked with a deer breeder today and he said the holes are fom infection or injury. He said the biggest vessels are pencil lead size and will squirt blood a few feet if injured. Most of the holes I am thinking about are bigger than pencil lead but not by much. This deer breeder had a 340 inch yearling I believe it may still hold the record.
Antlers are amazing to go from a button buck to 340 inches in one year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeguy
I talked with a deer breeder today and he said the holes are fom infection or injury. He said the biggest vessels are pencil lead size and will squirt blood a few feet if injured. Most of the holes I am thinking about are bigger than pencil lead but not by much. This deer breeder had a 340 inch yearling I believe it may still hold the record.
Antlers are amazing to go from a button buck to 340 inches in one year.

pics we need pics i want to see a 340 yearling !!

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was wrong on his score, he was 317 4/8 as a yearling and I think 340 his second year after being shot through the chest. The bullet was a small cal. and missed the heart by less than 1 inch. They think it was a hunter that didnt realise he was in a pen as public hunting is just behind this guys place. Anyway type in king kong deer into google and look up trophy whitetails web site. Wish I new how to link it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a couple racks with "mushrooms" on the antler tips. The deer banged the point on something when soft yet and flattened the tip out, but no hole from it. The racks with holes I have all seemed to have been on deer that were on the down hill side of life, usually old deer in poor shape with demented looking racks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a rather high scoring non-typical rack on the wall of my study with a hole in the back of the right main beam. A local guy stopped by the house after hearing about this nice rack and asked me if there was a hole anywhere in the antlers...sure enough...a .50 cal hole. He shot at it during ML season, you can still see the lead ball. Very unscientific...but a hole nevertheless.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Being from TX, I always assumed it was a mesquite or prickly pear thorn injury during velvet.
Just adds character in my opinion.

stumpy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.