Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
So I recently received my two baboon skulls from Africa, and am going to finish them myself.

My good buddy is a taxidermist and has told me to soak the skulls in Coleman Camp fuel for 7-10 days. I went to Wally world and bought two gallons as to submerge all parts of the skulls, and a metal galvanized bucket. The skulls have been sitting in the fuel for 4 days and I am yet to see any progress.

Will I be able to see the stuff start to come out or just trust that after 10 days or so they grease has been pulled out?

I also have a Javelina I need to do and was just going to stick it in the fuel when the baboons are done.

Can anyone who has done this please school me!

Thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really is that simple..

I'd not use on open bucket though, but something with a sealable lid to prevent evaperation...

You don't really see the grease come out as such, but after a soak of 10 days or so, when the skull is dried, you will notice then...

Also, assuming your going to whiten the skull's with peroxide, the degreasing helps to prevent them yellowing as time goes on..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a 5 gallon bucket full of kitty liter/oil dry. You can buy at AutoZone. After you soak the scull for a week or two in thinner or white gas then you completely cover and fill all cracks and holes with oil-dry for a week or so in another bucket.....I have done hog sculls this way and it works!!!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
That makes sense!

And yes peroxide is mect on the list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not store peroxide....buy the good stuff from VanDykes

Some say NO.......but I always spray a matt polyurathane clear coat on mine after drying....
no fingerprints and no yellowing

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

firstcoues:

I use solution of Van Dykes sodium carbonate same as tedthorn. I bought the dry powder on-line from HcKendries Taxidermy Supply. If you add some heat, it will be done in less than an hour.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ok here is another question... When all is said and done what do I do with the white gas I used?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do it all the time. Love European mounts...
1 gal. water, 1 tbs powder detergent (Tide) in a medium broiler pan. cover with foil, leave antlers out. Simmer for 2hrs, pick scrape everything... I have not had teeth fall out etc. Walmart spray peroxide liberally for a day, keep antlers wrapped in foil, while spraying. The key is skinning, and cleaning up front!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Boiling is one thing that leads to the grease problems to start with when getting the meat off at first... so NEVER boil. Simmer in just hot water is a better way to go.

But you have skulls with grease staining, so yes, just leave em.. you won't see anything to speak of but in the end, there will be a layer of grease at the bottom of the fuel, settled where its supposed to go....

The rest is just like the others say. Better to call around and find 38% Peroxide in bottles locally.. its not cheap and the shipping will be haz mat so local pickup would be better... search chemical supply companies..

If you need more info, PM me. No big deal.

If you use hair bleach or the paste mentioned ,you may have to do it a couple of times... its heat activated to an extent hence the use of a heat lamp or out in hot sun.... rinse off, do it again up to 3 times, then let dry really well in the direct sun or heat lamp and see what you have.

OTOH regular peroxide from wally world, my buddy has used it before.... just takes days instead of hours to whiten....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some animals just have oily skulls.....

hogs bears ect. deer don't

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Is white gas that hard to contain.... The galvanized bucket started leaking....

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
coleman white gas is "naptha" which is refined UL gas, reg or super Im not sure!!

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use a good plastic bucket like they sell at the feed stores for watering horses. Clean it out and use it for outdoor water for your dog when you are through cleaning skulls.

Last edited by mudhen; 02/21/11.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.