Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What's the best in Mono for 4,6,8# Ultralite spinning these days?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trilene "Sensation" sounds like it could be good if there's truth in advertising. "low stretch, small diameter, super strong, casts small baits further, sends crankbaits deeper, abrasion resistant", leaps tall buidings in a single bound , etc. Other Trilene lines have worked well for me so I'll probably give it a try.

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've heard the the XL line is good?
I've been away from fishing,however retirement is giving me some time...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Spinning?

Just buy a slinky and twist it on there, that's how it's going to end up anyways.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rifle
What's the best in Mono for 4,6,8# Ultralite spinning these days?

Try fireline in #8 or #10 lb test...its #3 diameter, and easier to yank out of brush if need be...NO stretch..

If mono is your thing Berkeley #6 XT.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep fireline is the snit for spinning gear

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I run fireline on my ice rig spinners, Good results.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PP...hold the fluff...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tried that...we didn't get along...I throw mostly spinners and they tend to roll in the air..the PP was soooo limp ( zero memory) that it would often just get wrappped around the spinner. #10 Fireline has just enough "memory" to avoid most of that...otherwise PP was what initially got me hooked on something other than mono...I liked it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PP has no peer................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Berkley Trilene XL is what I use. Whether or not it's the absolute best mono made today - I dunno. I like it well enough that I buy it bulk spools and I've quit experimenting with other brands. My best friend is a pro bass fisherman and he's fished just about every mono made. It's his prefered choice of line for spinning reels too.

Braids have their place and I like em' a lot - just not on spinning reels though. To each his own.

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info..I was looking at the old Clear blue Stren,but it seems to be made cheaper now...? T XL it is...

Come on America,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd not drive anything but braid,on a Coffee Grinder................

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Only prob I have with braids on a spinning rig is if it spools up loose then digs into itself on the spool from a hook set.... Hangs up then on the next line release or cast.

But cold weather memory on most monos drives me bat chit loony. (more so than I am naturally)

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spool by having one of the kids do the Burnin' Pencil Trick(though the new PP packages curtail some of it) and purposely over filling the skirt. I then tie it to the front door handle and stroll down to the beach,until I hit the knot on the skirt. The drag then gets yammed to Crazy Tight and rod tip pointed home,while reeling it on with vengeance.

Precludes most all "weirdness" and I'm a pinched finger reeler inner too. That whether it braid or mono......................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My sole Braid Beef,is that it freezes more easily...but it ain't often a concern...............

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd not drive anything but braid,on a Coffee Grinder................

Same-o same-o here...it allows me to catch stuff like this on a 4' 9" rod, with a Shimano 500 reel...

[Linked Image]

And I use the same outfit for these...

[Linked Image]

But lately Ive invested in a 5'6" rod and a Shimano 750...kinda the "AI" version... laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I hear ya on the freeze, Most of my fishing these days is ice fishing and the braid does tend to play a better host to water beeds that freeze on the line, which complicates slip bobber fishing but...

The overall tangle factor is much lower IMO, plus the strength plus the no stretch... It all makes it the better choice for me, especially when fishing with kids that are learning to fish.

For tip up fishing as silly as it might sound to some, my cousin used to run fly line on his tip up spools. I always ran heavy braided nylon or dacron (and I still do)

But I have to admit he was onto something with that floating heavy fly line. It was tough as hell, had good stretch which made it nice for hand over hand pike pulling on 20 plus lb fish, pert neer impossible to cut your hands with the stuff and when you got done hand over handing 30 yds of line and had that pile of string at your feet on the frozen ice, that stuff just wouldn't tangle or ice up like my braided line.

Downside was it really filled a spool, couldn't fit nearly the length.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I said "frozen ice"

Is it Monday in here or is it just me? lol!!

That's like one of my favorites "hot water heater"

Really? It's not just a water heater?

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Loomis 11'6" 4lb test IGFA Certified Tournament Noodle Rod,20lb PP/Shimano 2500 Symmetre.

Wrestled through icebergs whistling past,headed downstream with a fury..................

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.