Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I am pleased to announce the first of a series of Backcountry Skills workshops. This program is designed with the backpack hunter in mind, but will also cover many aspects of lightweight backcountry travel.

Successful businesses rely on a series of systems to run at maximum efficiency. Backcountry travel is no different; to achieve the maximum efficiency, a series of systems must be enacted. This workshop will explore the following systems:

Clothing Systems

Packing Systems

Shelter Systems

Sleeping Systems

Food & Cooking Systems

In addition, the following basic essential skills will be taught:

Fire Building in any conditions

Safe Water Acquisition

Basic Navigation

Camp Site Selection

Bear Country Camping and Travel

This workshop will give you the tools necessary to truly live well in the backcountry, not merely survive. There will be strong emphasis on ultra light/light weight gear and techniques as well as wood heated shelter systems.

The workshop will run Thursday evening to Sunday noon.
There will be ample time to discuss many facets of backpack hunting not specifically part of the workshop curriculum. Some of these topics include optics, small game harvesting, photography and more.

The location of the workshop will be on remote mountain property near the Scapegoat Wilderness that my wife & I own. A meeting place and time in Helena, Montana will be arranged for a camp briefing prior to travel to the camp site.

Breakfast, snacks and supper are included Friday and Saturday while Sunday will include breakfast. All meals will involve class participants cooking in the field using a variety of provided foods.

A limited number of shelters will be available but participants need to bring sleeping pads, sleeping bags and basic cooking gear as well as suitable clothing. A list of recommended clothing and gear will be provided to registered participants. It is recommended participants bring as much of there own gear as possible to become more familiar with its use.

First camp will be June 16th � June 19th 2011.
Cost for the workshop is $425/person with Campfire & Kifaru MB members offered a discounted rate of $375/person. Class size is limited so sign up soon.

For more information and registration contact me at:
runsmtns59msn.com

Ed T

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a very cool idea Ed, and I'm guessing it will be a great success!!! I may have to look at the calendar and keep an eye on it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been studying this craft heavily in the last two years, and you were one of my primary inspirations ....

I was going to try and hook up with you some day and pick your brain anyways and put exactly that bug up your ass....

What I'm trying to say is HELL YEAH, BOOK ME!!! I don't care if I have to call in sick that Thursday.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Ed_T
This workshop will give you the tools necessary to truly live well in the backcountry, not merely survive. There will be strong emphasis on ultra light/light weight gear and techniques as well as wood heated shelter systems.

Ed T:

I just can't let go of the debate. So be sure to include a minority report on the benefits of double-wall tents with floors and no stoves for heat.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KC, I did enjoy the hell out of the time we spent together in Wyoming.

I never knew that about kanicknick...

I'm Irish...

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Great Problem, i really hope that i can be there and join.
But i live another side of the earth. far far away.

wolfmen

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I've been studying this craft heavily in the last two years, and you were one of my primary inspirations ....

I was going to try and hook up with you some day and pick your brain anyways and put exactly that bug up your ass....

What I'm trying to say is HELL YEAH, BOOK ME!!! I don't care if I have to call in sick that Thursday.

Dan,

You are on the list.

I have been kicking this idea around for a couple years and finally got it put together.

It should be fun.

Ed T

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by KC

Originally Posted by Ed_T

Ed T:

I just can't let go of the debate. So be sure to include a minority report on the benefits of double-wall tents with floors and no stoves for heat.

KC

KC,

I'll be sure to include double wall tents!

Ed T

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dan:

Yeah. That was fun, even with the rain/snow. Are you going to be able to make it again this year?

I decided not to include a tutorial on the benefits of kinnickinnick.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
If Dan's in, so am I.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in, PM and e-mail sent earlier...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Elcope
If Dan's in, so am I.

I have no doubt that given 10 more years of doing what we've been doing we could teach a similar class.

Or we could shave 10 years off the learning curve laugh

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed T, you don't have a spare stove jack around the shop do you? And Connies info again?

KC, you just have to love multi use gear wink

I'm Irish...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Ed T, you don't have a spare stove jack around the shop do you? And Connies info again?

KC, you just have to love multi use gear wink

Dan
Not trying to be commercial but
We have some stove jacks if you need one. KC, ours can be outfitted both ways, floor less or floored, double wall or single.

In the winter, I understand frost and a single wall shelter, "dribblers" as I've heard them called.

Kevin

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Dan,

I don't have any jack material. Kevin would be your best bet.

I'll get Connie's info for you.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you both... Kevin I'll PM you.

Sorry for the derail. Think of it as a "Free Bump"

I'm Irish...

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ed T, please tell me this doesn't mean your posts are going to pay-per-view! laugh

Anyone who can attend this is going to learn a LOT.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by CCH
Ed T, please tell me this doesn't mean your posts are going to pay-per-view! laugh

Anyone who can attend this is going to learn a LOT.

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words.

And, I will continue to post here & on Kifaru smile

Ed T

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ed

Please consider this... for those of us that are far away and don't have spare time to get off and go( I'd love to but that would be my only vacation etc....) consider having someone video the important parts. And then sell videos or DVD basically of it. I don't think anyone would demand a high quality video IE a handycam would be sufficient to get the points across too.

Thanks for the consideration!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Ed

Please consider this... for those of us that are far away and don't have spare time to get off and go( I'd love to but that would be my only vacation etc....) consider having someone video the important parts. And then sell videos or DVD basically of it. I don't think anyone would demand a high quality video IE a handycam would be sufficient to get the points across too.

Thanks for the consideration!

Jeff

Dont worry ED, I got this one!!

I thought the same thing and sent ED a PM, this was part of his reply

I am planning to have a lot of the information available as a book/pamphlet and possibly some instructional DVD's as well.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10Glocks, 1973cb450, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.