Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Quarter MOA guns are not hard to find, even in LR calibers. I had an 18# 300 Tomahawk that would routinely put 3 shots into 2 inches at 600 yds. That's 1/3 MOA and was done multiple times from a bipod... We aren't talking about competition shooting from positions, we are talking about heavy hunting or tactical style rifles set-up to be shot from the bench or bipod... CJ

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Indy

Chris has it right. Plus there is a huge difference in shooting 5 shots into 1-3 inches at 500-600 yards with a scope etc.. and maintaining that to 22 shots at 600.

FWIW I have come off the line at Perry with the only 200 shot at 600 in a match or two. Its just a nagging little thing called offhand that is my nemesis. I suspect I'd be best going to prone only and shooting a match rifle rather than an AR15 service rifle, but I enjoy the challenge so much of the service rifle. And not till I have time to set the national prone record at 600 with a service rifle and or shoot a 200-20x with the service rifle will I swap.

BTW its fairly common for hunting rigs to be made as super bolt guns and shoot 1-2 inch groups at 500 yards. Both 3 and 5 shot groups. After all how many shots do ya need on game. And if shooting a 22 shot group-- sooner or later most days the conditions will sneak in there and nip a super group.

Hope that explains it a bit further. BTW go to longrangehunting.com -- there are a handful of well documented bolt gun smiths dealing with large hunting calibers who have their work firing the size groups I mention. One smith will eventually further lighten my wallet.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
rob p:

I consistently shoot 0.5 at 100, 1.75 at 200, and 2.75 at 300 off of the bipod (3-shot groups). The rifle is probably much more accurate than that.

I will be trying it on WY antelope next year to see how it performs at longer ranges.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Indy

Now I may see part of my post makes sense to me.... but maybe bad to others.

First 1 inch at 100 rarely equals 4 at 400. IE most rifles are worse. IF you get 1 at 100 I"d be more willing to bet its like 6-8 inches at 400.

Hence the need for a better more accurate rifle and load. Sometimes once a good load settles in and stabilizes it won't as much as you think it should. IE its 2.5 inches at 200, at 300 its 2.5 inches. At 400 its 3-3.5 inches etc... Most rifles work the way I mentioned above though. So you have to get a good rifle.

And by being rebuilt-- I mean you can take a factory action and have about 400 bucks truing it up, and then stick on a 300-500 buck barrel, and drop it into a 500 buck stock and then if you don't know how to bed correctly can drop another 200 there etc....

Maybe that clarifies it a bit better.

Of course as noted by others, just because the gun is good, the shooter still has to do a lot of work and practice. To get decent at prone, I laid and dry fired my AR for at least an hour every nite till I got to where my muscle memory was good and things got better. But it came with the price of having to practice that hour each nite....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
"To get decent at prone, I laid and dry fired my AR for at least an hour every nite till I got to where my muscle memory was good and things got better."

Well that's certainly one way. Most people I know only dry fire offhand, or maybe a little sitting. They take prone "for granted."

I also perceive that you probably have excellent vision and are not a big fat guy. That AR15 is too small to fit me well and, after shooting the shorter ranges all day, it's hard to see that close front sight. Of course, I tend to dwell on it too long before firing. A few years ago I could actually shoot a tighter "cone of fire" at 300 rapid than 600, because in rapid I don't admire the sight.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
INdy

You actually hit on something with 300 vs 600. I had the same thing going. Could shoot 100-5-8x almost all the time if the wind was right. But never could clean 600. Then realized I was probably shooting too slow. Thats why I started the prone dry firing. Vary it going fast, slow, etc..... and the body got used to it. And I started shooting 200s on almost every reduced course and 200s or high 190s on every full course, depending on conditions.

Wife says I'm fat though.... 180 at 5'10". Need to drop some weight. Won't happen right now though....

Prone cannot be taken for granted until you get to the top level. But neither can the rest. I was going backwards-- make sure I could clean it all but standing and then start to work hard on standing but time ran out.

As to vision. I've had glasses since I was a kid and am now 40. I have to wear knoblochs. And I have to use tinted lenses to get contrast. I can manage to focus on the front sight if smoked well and marked with a pencil. But I needed the tint to get the contrast needed to where I could really see what I needed to see. But now that I have not shot in a few years, I'd bet I'll need all new lenses....

BTW that prone practice, man does it pay off on long field shots. Lay that rifle on a backpack and settle in. I feel totally confident that I can hold on a clay pigeon with a scope out past 1000 yards. Thats a small wobble area. But then there are other things to consider past my hold of course. Confidence does help success though.

Have heard Perry is revamping the pits on Rod. That should be nice. And adding an RV park. One of these days when I get back, it'll be better than it was. In the meantime the deer will just have to watch out!

Jeff

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Rost,

One of our best local High Power shots says that the way to shoot an AR15 is to get glasses made which focus 7" in front of the AR15 front sight.

I think Perry is totally revamping the pits on Viale as well as Rodriguez. New target carriers and everything. I think this will be done before 2006 matches. The RV park is so far just an idea, but the certainly have enough space for it.

Why don't you shoot High Power any more? I quit when I was about 25 but then came back when I was 55.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hi Indy

Unfortunately my Dad has been a 30 year cardiac patient and the last years have been declining. Go on a 3 hour trip to go fishing and get called to run home again.... I'm the only child. Right now we are on hospice and have only a couple of days or week or so left( I truly hope anyway).

You can see where my time went to. I'm 40. I"ve got time left. And in the meantime I"ve taken to hunting out of state instead. Can't afford both. And with shooting I"d be spending major bucks all year to get ready for Perry and then possibly not be able to go due to Dad, and also let the team down. Just didn't work out. And all those thousands spent would be mostly wasted on practice.

So it'll be mostly hunting for quite a while. Though after this is all over, I may well start dryfiring etc... and just fly up for the team match day to support the team at Perry.

I don't know about focus at 7" beyond the sight, I get my general RX and then borrow lenses either side from the local opt. Take them to a match or 2 at 600 and have them swapped out in front of my eye as I'm aiming. Pick the best one and go from there. Much better for my eyes. I'm allowing them to pick what it takes on the actual range, vs a wild guess. Had taken the AR to the office of the Opt. etc... Was ok, but not the total answer.

Jeff

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Rost495,I am in complete agreement with you on this A couple of months ago I shot a 4 shot group @ 550 yards with long range rifle a 300 win mag with a match grade barrel, 3 shots were 1 3/4" with 2 touching, a fourth shot opened the group to 3 7/8" I stopped at 4 shots because th wind was getting erratic. By the same token I have a bone stock factory 300 wi that is only capable of 3 shots into 7/8" at 100yards As you mentioned long strings are more difficult than short ones

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
BH,

Please post photo of jumbo, I am curious to see one with 100+ lbs of ivory. I don't get to see them that size anymore. Where did you shoot him?

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Duckster,

Just so there is no misunderstanding, the elephant ran about 60 lbs a side, not 100 lbs a side. Anyway, I killed him in the Gokwe area of Zimbabwe on 9/11/2003. I first hit him about 30 yds away. He stumbled and the PH and I ran to about 20 yds and I hit him twice more. On the third shot he was already toppling. We then ran to within a yard and I shot him in the spine. All shots were made with my M70 Win Safari in .416 Rem Mag using Rem factory loads with 400 gr Barnes solids.

Attached Images
653544-myele2.jpg (0 Bytes, 1351 downloads)
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
duckster:

PS Sorry about the quality of the picture, but it was over 100kb at 640x480 so I had to down size to to 320x240.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
BH,

Did you post it or PM? I can't see anything. Thanks for the details.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
End of season report. As promised, I stated I would let everyone know the results of the hunt.

Packing a 12-15 lb rifle on a backpack elk hunt, was a pain at first, but after 3 or 4 days I got used to it. The bipod came in really handy when setting the rifle down (I have always thought it was a hassle, looking for a place to carefully lay a rifle down when on a steep slope and you needed to add or remove clothling layers.)

Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot at an elk this year (Word of advice! When out-of-staters (texans in this case BTW), act friendly and then casually state "Where exactly are you going to be hunting? That way we will stay out of your way." DON'T TELL THEM. I did that this year and opening morning both of them where right where I said I was going to hunt. One shot and lost a bull (may or may not have met point restrictions, based upon what the hunter told me.) and the other shot and lost a cow (spooking a herd out of the drainage which contained a nice 6-pointer). Live and learn, I guess.

I did call in a calf to within 30 yards, but that wasn't what I was after (sure looked like good eating though).

I will be going after antelope next year, so I should get another chance to make a 300-400 yard shot with the rifle. To me having a rifle, that I know I can shoot shoot minute-of-angle out to 4 or 5 hundred yards is worth the added hassle of
packing the extra weight.

Thanks to all the practical advice and support from the true long-range hunters.

Man you're making friends left and right!! These out-of-state hunters that you take issue with contribute hundreds of millions of dollars to our economy each year. I think you should thank em and ask them to come again next year. Thousands of small businesses in Colorado thrive off these folks. Also, with over 300,000 elk in this state it is not like we have to worry about elk numbers decreasing any time soon. Out-of-Staters are good for conservation and our economy.

As for carrying a 12-15 pound rifle to hunt elk......................that is your choice, but you can carry a 7 pounder that will be just as accurate.

The gun below is 7 pounds, with scope, sling, etc. and it shoots better than .5" with factory ammo. You can kill things all day at 500 yards if you do your part, so why kill yourself with a 15 pound gun. Build a 7 pounder and be done with it.

[Linked Image]

The guy that built this gun is from Colorado. Go down and see him, he will build you one hell of a gun that you can carry all day long. Pm me if you want his details.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buffhunter is this the same ellie? I have been researching African hunts and came across this photo of the same ellie I think.

[Linked Image]

Better picture here

http://www.steynsafaris.com/Images/photos/HP11.jpg

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
BH:

Click on the attachment from my post containing the details.

Poot Peat:

Personally, I don't make a dime off of out-of-state hunters.

Although they do contribute to some of the mom-and-pop grocery stores and gas stations, most of the money winds up going to the state government who IMO simply wastes it (currently got a big story going on about this little girl who was reported missing by her father a few weeks ago. Some government worker went there to check on the family's status to continue getting housing assistance which prompted the report. The police think the girl was killed a year or so ago. Turns out the family took a vacation to Walt Disney World several months ago, so they cops went there to see if they could find the girl on any of the hotels security videos. That's pretty typical of state spending, giving money to family to pay for their housing, yet the family can take a trip to Walt Disney World!)

As far as out-of-state hunters, I shared the woods with 3 hunters from Wisconsin (sp) a few year ago and they were really decent guys. We all stayed out of each others way. I gave them some tips on the lay-of-the-land and they dropped by and left me some home-canned preserves! Nice gents.

You are right on the ellie!

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Poot Peat:

BTW that is a sweet looking rifle. What caliber is it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a 270, but the guy that built the gun also builds 338's and 340's in a 7.5 pound combo that shoots lights out. They come with a muzzle break, to take the sting away, but they shoot. My hunting partner shoots a 340 wby built by the same guy and it is a consistent half inch gun with 250 A frames and 210 partitions.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, BALLISTIK, 6 invisible), 1,181 guests, and 738 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.