Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Has anybody had a Remington 7 action fail because of the smaller diameter rear action screw?

I am asking this because 1 of the resident experts claims that it is a significant flaw in the Remington 7's design, so much so that it makes the Remington 7 significantly less rugged and dependable than the very similar Remington 700.

I've never had any bolt action rifle, regardless of manufacturer, fail to work as intended because of a failed action screw, but such an issue has been made of it in another thread that I thought that I would ask the 24HCF universe what their individual experiences have been.

Given the choice, I'd prefer to build on a 700 action, because the aftermarket parts are more common and often less expensive, not because I'd be concerned about the rear action screw on a 7 action failing. As of 02/21/11, I have 13 Remington 7s and about 7x that number of Remington 700s, none of which has ever failed to work as intended because of a failed action screw. What they have done for me is feed, fire, eject, and repeat as needed.

What say you?

JEff

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There are about 7 Model Sevens that come into My Camp every year, ranging from 708 to 350 rem. mag.. I've never known of any complaint or defect of the rear action screw.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Jeff,

I owned 2 Model 7 KS 350 Rem Mags. Recently sold one of them to a member. I've also had a 223, 308 and now own a 260 stainless with my 308 stainless headed back to me.. I've never had a problem. I still own my Model 7 CDL 350 Rem Mag also. All have been and are a joy to carry / shoot. I trust that little screw completely.

Ken

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Has anybody had a Remington 7 action fail because of the smaller diameter rear action screw?

I am asking this because 1 of the resident experts claims that it is a significant flaw in the Remington 7's design, so much so that it makes the Remington 7 significantly less rugged and dependable than the very similar Remington 700.

I've never had any bolt action rifle, regardless of manufacturer, fail to work as intended because of a failed action screw, but such an issue has been made of it in another thread that I thought that I would ask the 24HCF universe what their individual experiences have been.

Given the choice, I'd prefer to build on a 700 action, because the aftermarket parts are more common and often less expensive, not because I'd be concerned about the rear action screw on a 7 action failing. As of 02/21/11, I have 13 Remington 7s and about 7x that number of Remington 700s, none of which has ever failed to work as intended because of a failed action screw. What they have done for me is feed, fire, eject, and repeat as needed.

What say you?

JEff

Safe Queen/Haybale & Crockett affairs...is the most forgiving of trevails,as you so eloquently quantify.

I could not say with a straightface,that all fasteners are equal. That as extrapolated in different sizing and along the relative quality scale. I could not say that all barrels are equal,nor all twists or chamberings either. I could not say that all stocks are equal. I could not say that all mounts/rings/bases are equal. I couldn't say that all recoil lugs are equal.

I can say however,that those who are the least demanding in their pursuits,reliably get away with concessions that others can't and that no matter the Game.

Is a 7 rear fastener the same size as a 700? Nope. Is the 700 fastener a superior piece in the puzzle? Assuredly. Do poor dumb Do-nothin' Jeff whine? Exceptionally!

But it's never not funny.........................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own three model Seven's and those three rifles are exclusively exclusively what I hunt with.

I trust that screw completely but at the same time it is hard to argue with the case that the bigger screw on the 700 is stronger. How much that matters is unique to the individual -

Personally, I'll keep hunting my Sevens but can't argue with someone who likes the heavier screw on the 700 - no different than any other of the myriad of alternatives on a rifle.

Not too different from saying I've never had failure of a scope base b/c of 6x48s yet all my rifles have 8x40s.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have puked 6/48's too.

The 7 rear,is the schittiest fastener in da bidness..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yup, had to drill out three of them after the Allen slot rounded out... i've got a dozen or so just in case they get squirly on me...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By default,I tend to poke aftermarket fasteners in most everything. Their longer length allows full purchase and an increase in quality,do not hurt.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rgr that...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
where does one find after-market (preferably torx head) screws? Just looked at brownells and they had their house brand and remington replacement parts but those appear to be hex head (vs. torx)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I will admit that I have not tried it. Looks like it would be simple to drill and tap a larger screw in. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
While I will admit that I have not tried it. Looks like it would be simple to drill and tap a larger screw in. miles

And enlarge the screw head recess in the pot metal bottom metal.
I've never had issue with the back fastener but from the first day I had a M7 always hated it and thought what dumb a$$ thing.
Add the M7 minor weight savings over a 700, the tiny back screw, and concessions caused by the shorter OAL in making many after marker trigger fit and the M7 a one and done to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You boys are gonna talk me into a Montucky yet!................

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One will be my next move.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dammmmit, and I just bought two more of those crummy 700's with the crappy X-pro trigger. ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might have a can of donor actions myself.................(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might have to get me a couple more. They hold their value better than my 401K and anything else I have invested in. Good guns and gold are about the only things that have consistently held their value throughout history. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adding to the stash,is much easier than removing from same..................(grin)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's certainly true in my case lately. I've been trying to cut down on the number of "unneeded" items in my safe, and I'm running out of room... I seem to accumulate more than I sell.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Economy is ripe for pickin'................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.