Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, no, I wouldn't spend my retirement money on guns.

Of course, my retirement "plan" is to keep working until they pry my guns from my cold dead fingers....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Any gun made out of solid gold was likely a good investment, most especially if bought about 10 years ago.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or before Jan. 1, 2011. Gold has dropped since then, but who knows about the rest of the year?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I sure wish I had a relative that bought a Lefever Optimus in 1905 for $400.00 and kept great care of it, then decided to leave it to me. I would be one really happy camper.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Am thinking the S&W pre-lock would be a LOT better investment than the new ones...

The older ones seem to bring a premium.

Virgil B.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not what you buy, it's how you buy it...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't buy as an investment. I buy what I think I'll enjoy shooting.

At the range, I see a lot of AR and AK stuff. Not too many of us show up with blue and wood. In fact, I was once referred to as "that old guy with the John Wayne rifle (Marlin 357)". The AK and AR stuff seems to be where the market is in rifles. I'm not sure I'd net too much from selling my rifles, because I don't have much in the way of zombie guns.

I do wish I'd picked up a couple more Bulgarian Makarovs when they were plentiful though. It's a durable, cheap, reliable, accurate sidearm. They are not beautiful, but they are very well designed to do what they do.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Who would think that mint all matching Arisakas and Lee
Enfield SMLEs would bring the money that they do today?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RifleDude: I think you are way off base here!
My firearms investments are doing a hell of a lot better than the .01% that my savings account is earning!
My firearms investment are doing a hell of a lot better than virtually all real estate in the United States these days!
My firearms investments are also doing a hell of a lot better than the traditional stocks and bonds are doing of late.
Yeah you are way off base in comparing those "traditional investments" in a positive light next to my firearms!
I am way ahead with the guns compared to MOST other traditional investments these days!
Gold is not exactly a "traditional investment in most peoples eyes but for those who consider it "traditional" and have invested in it, it has been doing well of late.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Really? It only takes a cursory thumbing through the latest edition of the "Blue Book of Gun Values" to quickly see the vast majority of guns are not very good investments. I happened to be perusing my copy earlier this week, in fact. Of course, considering something is an investment presupposes you plan to one day sell it. I have no plans to ever sell any of my guns, ergo, not investments.

Obviously not all "traditional investments" are good investments. You're generalizing and oversimplifying things just a tad, there. Real estate can be a MUCH better investment than any guns. It all depends on location, location and location. There's also a time element involved. Just because something doesn't look so hot now doesn't mean 10, 15, 20 years from now it wasn't an excellent investment.

Ted
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What does your "blue book of guns" list a pristine Lefever Optimus at?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Guns that get shot are not investments, not really.
Another one that makes me grumble these days is any lot of oddball Mausers in-country since 2000. I mean, Turk Mausers were coming ashore and retailing for 40 bucks. Now you can't even get a stripped bolt for that.
Honestly, tho, I think most of us aren't going to sell a darn thing until we are too old and clapped out to enjoy the money.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The best financial gun investment is a good 30-06, 300, or 338 with a good scope. If I could just stick to one rifle for all my hunting I'd be way ahead financialy....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Probably about 50% of what you bought yours for from Tony Galazan.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen,
I wish I had listened to that little man running around in the back of my head back in the mid 70's and bought a couple of more Colts. I ended up with (3) 6" Blue Pythons I have an average of $250 each invested. If a guy had only picked up matching Diamondbacks in 22LR and 38Spcl. With about the same per piece invested at todays market prices I would be happy with pistols worth 5 to 8 times over a 35 year period.

Dave

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I didn't know Tony had one for sale. I see you are keeping your eyes on him pretty hard.

That beauty would be just a little out of my league. I must admit it is may favorite high grade American by far.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Up to $60K.

I trust you aren't using that shotgun as an example to demonstrate that guns as a whole are great monetary investments, as that falls squarely in the "exception to the rule" category.

Ted
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There are a few Doubles that will bring that price. But even lower grades will still bring a great price. For example I bought my first Win Model 21 Duck Grade in 1985 for $1500, sold that one in 2007 for $5500.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
American Classic Doubleguns have more then held their value. Of course one needs to know a thing or two of them before making the investment.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I didn't know Tony had one for sale. I see you are keeping your eyes on him pretty hard.

That beauty would be just a little out of my league. I must admit it is may favorite high grade American by far.

At least you admit you can't afford one. Which sure is more honest than 99% of the other lies you've told thus far.

Your mention of the "blue book" as well as your dealings with Galazan, shows what you know about ACTUAL market values of anything that goes bang.

Your 20g CSM RBL side by side listed on the classified does not seem to define " High Value Liquidity"

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.