Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My late '70's vintage 541-S is hard to beat with its favorite ammo.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Remington 40X sporter, Winchester 52B Sporter, Coopers, Anshutz 54, 1400, & 1700 series, Remington 541-S, winchester 75 Sporter, CZ 450 series! These are just the ones I have had squirrel hunting experience with but there are many, many more Kimbers, Sakos, Kleinguenthers, etc......just pick your flavor and have fun grin

PennDog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For much of the 80's I looked for the most accurate .22. Went through a whole bunch of rifles from fancy ass Anschutz to Rems/Rugers. Most accurate ever was a heavy barrel Martini that would literally stack one on top of another at 50yds. About as accurate is a Mike Bellm 14" T/C.....easy to shoot IHMSA 40's. There was also a Merrill 12" unlimited that shot very very well. Those are my most accurate. But on a gun forum, what any particular person has and likes a lot because it shoots well.......that's the most accurate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont see how you can feel a bump in the middle of the stroke of a 1oz'r

It took a few hundred rds for me to grow into the Anschutz trigger. If they are good enough for world class shooters, I figured there must be a few reasons. Several friends have given it try and are not comfortable at all. They are not as demanding of their rifles though as I am, and they have not endured for several hundred rounds either.

To begin with, one does not approach the trigger until he is absolutely on target. For me the secret is to use the same portion of ones trigger finger that he would use to feel for imperfections in a smooth surface (i.e. the tip of the first joint). The second joint that many use is not sensitive enought to exploit the trigger's potentials. Much the same reason that we should feather our brake pedals with our toes rather than the middle of ones arch when driving in slick conditions.

A second aspect is to approach the trigger from the rear and the side. That is, ones finger is actually moving forward as it's inserted into the trigger guard. He first touches the side of the trigger and then flows around to the forward surface. With a blind approach from the front, many set it off before they realize they've even engaged its surface.

I bring that unit to hunter safety classes (it can be snapped with firing pin removed), and it certainly raises the students' eyebrows.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/10/11.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
My late '70's vintage 541-S is hard to beat with its favorite ammo.

Got a friend that hunts with one of those and it is a great gun...

Brother-in-law had one too, but got a wild-hair-up-his-xxxx, and sold it for next to nothing. Deal was over with before I knew anything about it, or I would have bought the rifle... Oh well, another story of a day late...

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Having owned or still own most of the rimfires mentioned, (did I mention I'm a rimfire addict)I would vote hands down for the Kleingunther K22.

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
Having owned or still own most of the rimfires mentioned, (did I mention I'm a rimfire addict)I would vote hands down for the Kleingunther K22.

Who would have guessed your answer,given your user name.LOL.

My father has a Mauser 201,that uses the same action.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by rte
Originally Posted by K22

Who would have guessed your answer,given your user name.LOL.

My father has a Mauser 201,that uses the same action.

I didn't think it showed. shocked laugh

The 201 Mausers were very very nice also.

Last edited by K22; 02/14/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will throw in the MAS standard barrel, BRNO #1, #2, #4, Winchester 75's, Remington 581 (with trigger work), and most CZ's.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Okay, so I will throw this out there and see what happens, good or bad. Just don't blast me for saying this, however I do believe its true. I just wanted to post this here because I'm interested in getting some help.

The most accurate 22 rimfire rifle I have ever seen perform consistently with a old cheap 4x scope has to be my Dad's J.C. Higgins Model 103.229. He told me it was the first gun he ever bought in 1958. It only cost him $25 with the scope. Still has all the original parts and scope on it, and has never failed to fire. I would be willing to put that gun up against any modern 22 rimfire rifle even a bolt action 22. It will put bullets through the same holes from the bench at 50 to 75 yards. It is truly a fine firearm in my opinion.

I am currently looking to upgrade the original scope on it to something newer but all the receiver mounts nowadays are 3/8in and this one is 1/2 or 12.7mm dovetail grooves. I am not about to tap the receiver or do anything like that would alter it from it's original condition. Anybody know where I can find some of these dovetail ring mounts.

Sorry to interject on the topic but I had to add my opinion and wanted some help.

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty".

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A better question would be: Which is the most consistently accurate hunting ammo? The same rifle will shoot vastly different with various ammos. I'm tinkering with various HP ammo in the 1250 fps right now in my CZ 453 (single set trigger). Two flavors of CCI, two of Federal, two Remington, one Eley. I can find out which one groups best from my rifle, but I still won't know how the performance is until I draw blood. Yellowjackets shot real good from my old Sears semi-auto, but they made a mess of things. I think they're just too fast.

I saw a sweet mint Remington 504 at the gun show this weekend. Had to try hard to resist its allure. I bet with the right ammo, it would shoot as good as any hunting grade 22.

How you doin' there Mike?

Mule
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
MS wow thought you fell off the earth !

I have always had better luck with match ammo or CCI's then anything with the word "remington" on it - but rifles like what they like.

Rifles do have something to do with the accuracy part though.

I think rank wise from an accuracy perspective.

Annie's
Sako Quad
CZ

After that it seems to plane out

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes, Mike, I think I did fall off the world.

Mule
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
good to see yer still kickin around though.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.