Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"if the end is near, might as well enjoy yourself."

No "Cheddar Spread" ??!!

I'd rather be over-run by ravening herds of Brain sucking Zombies, then miss my CS

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Laffin

You think I'm Chittin ?

[Linked Image]

That chits funny , or maybe im just drunk.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by blanket
Folks, If what you all are thinking about of when the SHTF happens you will be a combatant or a casualty. The combatants will have to adopt small unit plans to evade and elude and gather what they need to survive along the way such as shelter, food and water. There is no way to transport anything more than basic tools and arms on your back and the planning of what you can carry could make all the differance. Think water gathering, carrying and purification, meat and food gathering, shelter, close range self defense. Think mobile and proactive. Anyone that plans to dig in in most of our country or escape totally by a vehicle will most likely not fair well, do not think stand and fight, think cut and run. Build strong relationships with people that you can trust and have the same points of view that you can meet up with and trust. And last but not least pray that we are never forced into such a situation. Russ

First off I don`t believe we`ll ever see a time when this sort of action is necessary. If we do though, I would tend to disagree with your theory. I jsut don`t see how running is a better idea than staying put.
First of all,where are you going to run too. If things are this bad, things aren`t likely to be better anywhere else. Running just leaves you exposed and vulnerable. You`d constantly be entering new and unfamiliar terrain and surroundings,and the people who are already there likely won`t welcome you and your little gang.
Like you said, it won`t be possible to carry all the stuff you would like to take. If you stay put, at least you have all the things you managed to aquire for this sort of situation. If you cooperate with the people in your neighbourhood or surrounding area, you should be able to make things fairly secure. Of course nothing is foolproof, but I feel this would be the best thing to do. It is also, I believe,the strength of the american(and canadian) people. When things get tough, people will band together for the common good. If you are reliable and useful,people will be glad to have you around and want you to stay. I believe that small,mostly self sufficient communities would start up. Eventually these small communities would start bartering and trading with other small communities for goods and services.
Once again, I don`t belive that it`s going to come to this, but if it ever does, this is my plan. Stay put, help out those nearest to me and try to get everyone able to cooperate in providing security and assistance. Hopefully someone in the neighbourhood had medical training,a couple mechanics and general handymen,gardeners and farmers and of course the hunters!
Likely someone has an accessible well and if your in the country probably livestock and chickens too. Yep, I`m staying put.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
. . .
I think we've got you pretty much figured,.... . . .

You keep talking like you have an army behind you. You, and you only, are the one who has been quite obnoxious throughout this thread. Nobody else has been rude or tried to act like a know it all. You are the first person on the fire, in over two years I have posted here, who has made a fool of themselves when discussing a thread I have started. You sound like you have an "assembly" of your friends who agree with your pronouncements, but all I hear is crickets chirping. Like I say, I don't know you and you don't know me, but I bet we could be friends if we met face to face. Why the animosity? Its just a conversation about possible scenarios. More entertainment than seriousness. Maybe "imagination" is a better word. Relax and enjoy life. It is too short.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro
. . . If you cooperate with the people in your neighbourhood or surrounding area, you should be able to make things fairly secure. . . .

A question I have asked myself is whether I should let my neighbors in on the preparations I am making. There won't be enough food and water for the entire neighborhood at my house (remember I am talking about city dwellers). If you share the information and the SHTF, everyone will know where is the food and water (my house) which I only planned for use by my immediate family. Even if your closest neighbors are in, will they do their part to prepare? Just some unanswered questions.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Study what happened during Katrina in New Orleans. This happened in the United States in recent history. It will be a decision based on when to move that people will have to make for themselves. You and I in a rural area will make different choices than people living in a city. As I said build strong relationships with people you trust. A small community of people would be a great place to start but depending on the situation it can degrade to hell in a hurry. The question of the original post was arms for when TSHTF and does anyone feel what that meaning was. The answer I gave was a suggestion on how to survive a worst case senario. Fact of the matter if you can't move around your [bleep] in that senario. My pappy always told me to pray for peace and prepare for hell Russ

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
That would definitely be an issue, I guess it pays to know your neighbours.

I would help as much as I could, but I don`t think one person should have to give up their hard earned food to people who were too lazy or ignorant to prepare. However, if they had something they could do for me in exchange for whatever I had that they needed,we could do business.

I guess much would depend on the exact situation and how long it looked to last. Short term, I would give what I had and hope to be able to resupply in the near future. If it looked to be a long term deal, I`d be inclined to hide my stash pretty carefully.

Where I live, most people have a garden or farm, so if we could get by till summer we would probably do okay. If I have food stored, I could maybe trade with some local farmer for some fuel,which they all have on the farm. That would let me keep the generator and truck going,so I could get out hunting. If I was successful, I`d try to trade some meat for things I need.

I really,really hope this never happens. We live pretty simple and cheap, but I find I really do enjoy hot running water, my furnace when it`s -35c, buying food at the store and so on. I think we could see tough times ahead, but I don`t think things will totally fall apart .

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I too would help as many as I could and feed as many as I could. That is the way of our rural culture. This is also how we build up the network of people we trust. We do those kind of things during normal good times without thinking about it. Russ

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Again, the areas of this Country (and others) that have seen rioting, looting, etc. following a disaster in recent times all had one common factor, and I just don't see it happening here.

Considering where you're located, I'd say you probably have some of the best odds for sure. Not too many places around with a population of decent folks like you guys have there in Utah....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One last thing, It is easier to run and hide in plain sight than most would believe. If you do not believe this think of what the VC did to us. Staying put gives you roots that you would not want Russ

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have let several people in my neighborhood know that if and when it gos down that they can come to my house and I will give them something to protect them selfs with. None of them own firearms they have played with them (target shooting). my feelings are the more people close to you protecting the same intrests the better off you will be

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good luck and godspeed Russ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever the geographic situation, the "strength in numbers" strategy is far and away the most likely to succeed.

One of the first things they drilled into us at basic training was that a lone wolf makes an easy target. The best defense against hordes of looters, zombies or just plain hungry people is having your own horde.

Every time this subject comes up I want to refer to that TV show during "Disaster Week" on the history channel about a man, his wife and son and their travails leaving LA after "the big epidemic" has wiped out 90% of humanity. Never can remember the name.

Anyway, that was about the most realistic and well thought out representation of a true long term SHTF scenario I've ever seen.

Some communities went feudal - a strong man sheriff turned warlord took over, fenced the town borders and the folks survived. Not free like we describe it, but alive.

Eventually, people banded together as humans have done for about as long as we've been around and worked for common survival, and survived.

As part of that strategy, I've told several nubile young ladies that in the event of disaster, nuclear war, famine, plague, civil unrest or just the power going off for a couple of hours, there will be plenty of food, drink and comfort available for all of my "friends". Got that idea from Dr. Strangelove...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep, that is what they will teach you in basic and on tv. Hopefully we can discuss in person after it never happens Russ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
. . .
I think we've got you pretty much figured,.... . . .

You keep talking like you have an army behind you. You, and you only, are the one who has been quite obnoxious throughout this thread. Nobody else has been rude or tried to act like a know it all. You are the first person on the fire, in over two years I have posted here, who has made a fool of themselves when discussing a thread I have started. You sound like you have an "assembly" of your friends who agree with your pronouncements, but all I hear is crickets chirping. Like I say, I don't know you and you don't know me, but I bet we could be friends if we met face to face. Why the animosity? Its just a conversation about possible scenarios. More entertainment than seriousness. Maybe "imagination" is a better word. Relax and enjoy life. It is too short.

You're about to get your sorry azz kicked, and your name taken...

If I wanted coaching , or steering,... I'd avoid YOU like the plague.

You, are something far to new and toxic here to pull off whatever chit you're trying.

Take THAT to the [bleep]' bank,....and psychoanalize that,all to tears Troll

"Weapons",......start with a brain, and a lack of agenda

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Its just a conversation about possible scenarios."

I think not.

"More entertainment than seriousness."

jeez,....he actually SAID that

....[bleep] with the Desert Southwest at your peril, you moron.

what's going down here is not perceived as "entertainment" and we'll (me and my invisible army) be MARKING you as a sorry excuse
for anything that could call itself a MAN.

....another "funshooter"

poor bastards,

GTC

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
" lots of ammo"

The new currency...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
poon�tang

Last edited by Rick n Tenn; 01/26/12.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by arctic338
I prefer to be prepared rather than be like Nero and fiddle (or make tin foil hat comments) while Rome/America burns. Not like we haven't seen them setting fire to Detroit, LA etc. before.

Exactly who was it setting fires in Detroit, LA, and/or looting in places like New Orleans? Ever seen anything like that happen in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana?...

grin Yeah but you're sitting pretty close to the Yellowstone caldera...it's overdue from what I understand.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Never underestimate the value of keeping a full tank of gas.

Murphy was an optimist.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,544
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.