Recently helped a relative with his testing of LeverEvolution powder and the 30-30 cartridge. Here is a little ditty he wrote up on it.

<<<Loaded some 170 grain Sierra flatnose bullets with Hodgdon's LeverEvolution propellant today, and shot at my home range. The temp was 31 degrees, distance 100 yards, Rifle was 30-30 Topper 22" with cheap 1.5-4.5x21mm Bushnell scope. This is primarily a back-up rifle with a 5 1/2lb. trigger pull.

Case was Winchester with WLR primers and cartridge overall length I used was 2.600"

The bottom two shots were with 34.0 grains, avg. velocity was.......................... 2062 fps.
The next four shots slightly to left of center were with 35.0 grains, avg. was...... 2117 fps.
The shot to right of center was with 36 grains, velocity.........................................2179 fps
All rounds shot over F1 Chrony.

The loading data was from Hodgdon's website. Maximum load Hodgdon listed is at 36.3 grains and velocity is listed as 2325 fps. I will load with 36.3 grains and try that yet today or tomorrow and am thinking 2200 fps is where I'll end up but then again who knows. Accuracy is the best that I've had with this rifle to date, and I'm extremely pleased. I would normally shoot 130 grain SSSP bullets or Barnes 130 grain XBT's through this rifle.

I think the LE propellant is a winner and though I may not reach book stated velocity, the accuracy was excellent for this old guy. I paid $24.99 for the LE propellant. In the past, my loading was done with W748 mainly and some BL-C2 and WC846.

***UPDATE**** With the temp "soaring" to 43 degrees today I tested the rounds I loaded with 36.3 grains of LeverEvolution with Sierra 170 FN for the 30-30 Topper w/22" barrel.

My first shot was 2320 fps, second shot was 2296 and third shot was 2308. This averaged 2308 fps velocity. Accuracy was the same as the original test groups. I would suspect the pressure curve was hit right around the 36.3 grain mark during Hodgdon's testing and my F1 Chrony reached the same conclusion velocity wise. I gained over 100 fps with a 3/10's increase in propellant. The Topper shows no signs of stress and pressure indicators were still in the neutral range. This may or may not be an accurate assessment of over pressure, but short of test equipment one never really knows. Outside of case shows no web expansion ring problems. I'll test the spent cases with the paper clip on the inside tonight.

The other theory might be that the temperature plays a role with this propellant. Could possibly be that loads worked up in colder weather shooting trials might be "hot" when fired in fair weather. I'll chronograph some velocities again with the temps in the 20 degree range. Further shooting with this propellant to follow. So far I'm impressed.>>> End of text he wrote and sent to me.

Pics of target that he posted are not available but this rifle shot a five shot group you could cover with a penny.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.