-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
Unfortunately I just sold a spare pair of 1-inch Empire rings a couple of months ago...maybe if you keep your eyes open another pair will pop up somewhere.

Empire has suffered mightily from the economic downturn but I don't think they're going under. You'll notice they are now offering custom rifles on any action, as well as standard gunsmithing services. Not what I would typically expect from a custom gun maker but desperate times call for desperate measures, as they say.

I've been in communication fairly regularly with both George Sandmann and the gentleman who started the website you linked. It has to be tremendously frustrating to pay for a rifle and wait so long to have it delivered (then again, a D'Arcy Echols will cost you $32,000 with a 3-year wait...and it's built on a factory Winchester action) but I think it's going to get worked out for both parties.

NRA Benefactor
WACA Life Member
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think you are confusing Darcy with Miller.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
George has more problems then the economy. He is a liar and is dishonest as they come.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
T
Originally Posted by Toolelk
I think you are confusing Darcy with Miller.

I don't think so. Download the "brochure & technical specs" for each of the rifles...$32k with wood stock, $15.5k with synthetic.

http://www.echolsrifles.com/#/home.html

NRA Benefactor
WACA Life Member
T
T
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
George has more problems then the economy. He is a liar and is dishonest as they come.

Certainly not my experience with Empire, but as I've stated I haven't ordered any rifles from them directly...my dealings in buying a consignment rifle and having another barrel assembly made for my takedown must have been better than your experience with them.

NRA Benefactor
WACA Life Member
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Must have and I am not the only one that feels that way.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
WOW! That's got to be a real bummer, shooting at something that may eat or stomp you with a high end rifle that won't function.

I like perfection, too. But function has to be first and foremost with any hunting rifle, especially when hunting dangerous game.

From the lower end, I'd go with a pre 64 M-70, or an FN M-70. Another option, a tuned CZ. Next up the food chain, a Dakota or an Ed Brown with Ed's control feed proprietary action. Then to custom rifles, probably using a pre-64, Dakota, Mauser or similar action.

For that kinda money, one should be able to have a super rifle and not have to worry about being eaten or trampled...

I think some of these "high end" guys are more salesmen than craftsmen. Roy Weatherby was a super salesman, but he could back it up with some pretty good rifles. Rare combo, IMHO. At least you don't hear of Roy's rifles not going bang...

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is presently a thread over on AR about this very item. The owner of Empire has even gotten in on the discussion a couple of times and rather than really deal with it he has typed up some fluff answers. I've been to his place and while the merchandise looks appealing to my eye I would not do business with him at this point. Too many bad stories and not enough good ones.

Back to the Model 70 I guess.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.