Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Jorge, I to have never killed an ele,

While not my first choice a 577 NE rifle I have came w/ about 150 woodie softs and solids, of course they are round like the hornady's of old.
I have tested both extensively on cattle carcases that have died here on my farm. One was a herd bull, aprox 2200lbs.

The woodies and old hornady's would often veer off line and even flatten the base of the bullet, kinda like you squeezed it in a vise. [never could figger that one]

I will say all testing w/ the barnes banded solids has been unbelievable, straight line flight, and try as I might, I couldnt keep one in a bull.

These tests were performed in the following calibers.
375 AI
416 Rigby
458 WM
500 NE
505 Gibbs
577 NE
Soon as I get all the woodies shot up in the 577, it will be re-regulated w/ barnes tsx/solid loads for all game.

Gunner

Trump Won!
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe what the OP is asking is, if the .338 Lapua can produce 5225 Foot Pounds of energy, which is more than the .375 H&H and the .458 Win. Mag, and is as much as many of the .450-.470 calibers that are considered DG cartridges, why wouldn't the .338 Lapua fill the same need?

My opinion is that the answer would boil down as to which would be best at stopping a large game animal, a lessor diam. bullet going fast, or a larger diameter, slower and heaveyier bullet which produces the same FPE.

I am not in a position to answer the question, as I have never hunted DG, but there is no doubt in my mind that a .338 Solid into an elephant's brain would stop him just as quick as a .577.

Body shots, in the heart lung area, which would do the most damage to the vital oregans, the large dia. bullet or the fast .338 bullet with the same FPE. That, I can't answer, but I think the question could be answered by experienced DG hunters, who have actually hunted Cape Bufflo and Elephant.

There are two ways to get FPE. 1) a lighter bullet moving fast, and 2) a heavy bullet that is not quite as fast, but has a larger dia. The answer would lie in which one of the two was the better killer.

A heavy bullet is not nessessaryly larger in dia., but for this post, I am comparing a .338 bullet with a .45 caliber bullet, both producing the same FPE. My opinion, I would go with the larger bullet hole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose you can juggle figures until the cows come back to the barn! Whatever etc.

I own and hunt with a couple of .338 caliber rifles, a .338 Win mag and a .338-Edge. Now at a distance of under 300 yards they don't kill game any better than my .338-06 really......Dead is simply Dead!!! The .338-Edge will shoot flatter for a longer distance but I never saw an animal that was killed by just energy numbers.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The larger frontal area and the most momentum will always trump light and fast.

Yes a perfectly placed shot inot the brain will be equally effective, even from a 6.5X55. It is the less than perfect, yet close to perfect that benifit from the larger diameter and weight of the projectile

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The larger frontal area and the most momentum will always trump light and fast."

Yes, that is what my question was about. I have always wondered how more frontal area would compare to small frontal area at the same FPE.

My opinion is that the larger bullet hole and larger frontal area would come out ahead, but I have no proof of that.

John Taylor with his formula for knock out put a lot of emphasis on frontal area. Although he was talking solid bullets and head shots on elephant, I think the same principal would apply if the bullet was aimed at vital organs, too.

Those old .50 caliber buffolo rifles did not have a lot of FPE, when compared to modern cartridges, but, from what I have read, they were adequate for the purpose.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 338 Lapua is a purpose designed and built round for long range sniping. In the hunting field is is not much different than the 340 Weatherby and I am sure that in certain situations the "Roy Weatherby effect" of super high velocity could be applied on DG like lions and to an extent bears, but the problem with high velocity is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That is not what you want on an animal intent on killing you. Heavy, large bore bullets have proven to be more reliable killers under those conditions.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
M
And who wants to lug around the typical 14 pound "sniper" rifle when a 98 in 458 or a 71 in 450 Alaskan weighs a lot less ?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

a 338 Lapua doesn't have to be built like a "Sniper" rifle as you call it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend that has the .338-Lupua and that rifle weighs in a 9-lbs loaded up with ammo in the magazine. He has a muzzle brake on the end that looks like a small tin can, with large holes around it, guess it works for him.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

T
T
So , anyone with a Sako 75 action that takes 338 Lapua?

IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barnes makes a 285gr TSX for the Lapua. I am pretty sure that would do the job.

They also make a 250gr Banded solid, I am thinking that would penetrate into the brain of an elephant.

But bigger diameters kills better. I think that is important when dealing dangerous game.

Arcus Venator
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.