Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'm headed to a gun auction in a few weeks and there is a Kahles 3x9 up for sale. I'm hoping that most folks will not be familiar with the brand and I can get it at a bargain. My problem is I have no idea what this scope is worth. There is no more information available from the auction other than what is in the title of this post. If I remember correctly, this scope was imported into the US awhile ago then the model was either dropped from their line or not imported anymore. A search of retail outlets on the web (SWFA, Optics Planet) doesn't show any 3x9's. Can someone help me out as to the value of this scope, and does anyone know about their warranty/repair service? Finally, what do the more knowledgeable members of this forum think about the quality of this scope.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There has been at least 3 different series of 3-9X Kahles scopes. Is it the 3-9X42 AH, KX, or CL model?

Either way, they are very nice scopes, among some of the best 1" tube scopes ever made IMO. They are optically as good as just about any scope made. I have 4 Kahles scopes, and won't part with them.

Kahles is owned by Swarovski, but operated as a totally separate company that competes with Swaro. For a long time, they were imported into the US by Swarovski Optik North America (SONA), and all service work in the US was done by SONA. They have always had a somewhat hostile relationship with Swaro, though, and finally severed ties with SONA about 3 years ago. For a short time, importation and customer service was handled (or more accurately, mishandled) by Legacy Sports. That relationship didn't last very long and for about a year afterward, no Kahles scopes were being imported into the US. At about this time, Kahles discontinued all of their 1" tube scopes. They have also evidently discontinued their binoculars, as evidenced by the fact they can be bought online at a significant discount and Kahles no longer shows them on their website.

At last year's SHOT show, Kahles announced that US importation and customer service will now be handled by GAMO USA, the air gun folks, who curiously also own BSA. This is a very strange relationship IMO, because the only similarity between BSA and Kahles scopes are that they both look like scopes and are called such. Kahles is super high end, and BSA... well...

I talked to the Kahles rep at SHOT 2010, and he said Kahles had no plans to produce any more 1" tube scopes, because the US market is already saturated with 1" scopes at prices they aren't willing to try to compete at, and 1" scopes aren't nearly as popular in the rest of the world. The upside to that is you can get some really good deals on their 1" scopes now and get very high end optics at a midrange price. Today, they offer only their CSX and K series 30mm scopes.

It is my understanding that Gamo will not actually repair any Kahles scopes; they are only importing them, unlike SONA, who did Kahles repair and service work onsite in Rhode Island. GAMO will send any scopes needing repair or other work back to Kahles in Austria. So, turnaround will probably be slow.

As far as value of the scope, a lot depends on which version it is and whether it has the Multi-Zero turret. If it has Multi-Zero, it is the CL and also has side focus. Those scopes can be found for around $650, which is a good deal, since the original MSRP was over $1K. The KX model doesn't have side focus and can be found used at around $500 or so. The AH model is worth maybe $100 less than the KX.

Rest assured, any Kahles scope is super high quality, but if you need service, I would not expect a rapid turnaround. I don't say this to discourage you from buying one, as I'm sure you'd be very happy with any of them. They didn't make any bad scopes. I didn't think their binoculars were anywhere near up to the standards they set with their scopes, but their scopes were comparable to anything available in the world.

Ted
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Rifle Dude - Thank you for the very knowledgeable and detailed reply. No information on the auction website is available re: the model it only says 3x9 so I won't actually know the model until I get to the auction and get a chance to look the scope over. I'll be printing out your reply and taking it with me to the auction. Thanks again, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You're welcome, sir!

Ted
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
If I recall correctly, CDNN was selling closeout 3x9 CL's without multizero for around $600 last year. I bought one and it's a fine scope.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Labman95
I'm hoping that most folks will not be familiar with the brand and I can get it at a bargain.

Not likely, Kahles scopes sell like hotcakes on ebay. They are very in demand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two 3-9x42 Helia CT scopes, and four 3-9x42 CL scopes, and none will likely ever be for sale, as long as I am able to shoot. They are very clear and bright,and seem to hold zero, and track very well.I paid close to retail on the CTs, but I bought the CLs for a greatly reduced clearance price.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have a 3-9x42AH for sale in the classifides if anyone is interested.
Ron

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The auction was yesterday and I didn't get the scope. The scope was sold late in the auction (over 600 guns and accessories were sold first)but enough guys hung around which made for some spirited bidding. The scope was a NIB AH model which sold for $525. Looks like it will be a Leupold instead for me.

Last edited by Labman95; 03/06/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.