Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have had a few 378 Wbies that were braked and I still have my MKV 416 Wby. It wears the accubrake. I am happy with everything about it except the looks and that I positively have to hunt with hearing protection (electronic).

I never did have or shot a magnaported gun.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
[quote=Fotis]it will never sell unless the owner wishes to take a loss of about 60% or more - simply due to that barrel

Hey Redneck,
Why don't you magnaport that 358 STA then knock off 60% the price and sell it to me? grin

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sambo3006
[quote=Fotis]it will never sell unless the owner wishes to take a loss of about 60% or more - simply due to that barrel

Hey Redneck,
Why don't you magnaport that 358 STA then knock off 60% the price and sell it to me? grin
Only if I was drunk, high on drugs and converted to liberalism...

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't think the blast is louder,that being said when I shoot them to make sure sighted in properly,I'll wear hearing protection.I don't when I'm hunting.

Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My main worry about MP was loss of accuracy or loss of velocity. According to these posts and other research I have does on line looks like neither is an issue, although M/B would be more efficient.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck, if you want the best solution, have it threaded for a supressor. You'll reduce recoil and muzzle blast.

It seems the mnp fans speek out of both sides of their mouth. If the mnp re-directs enough gas to have the same effect as a break, then it is going to be just as loud. Also since the mnp is closer to the chamber, it is venting slightly higher pressure gas. If on the other hand the mnp doesn't vent enough gas to increase muzzle blast, it isn't going to be signifigantly reducing recoil.

If you have to redirect the gas to reduce the recoil, then don't fool around, get the most effective break you can find. Personally I'd opt for a clam shell or other large port break. it's not going to have the high velocity screech of the breaks that use multiple small ports.

Oh, and I have had a shooting session ruined by a breaked 30-378. The only bench available was next to that guy, and the muzzle blast was so bad I ended up bs'ing with a buddy vs. shooting.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Oh, and I have had a shooting session ruined by a breaked 30-378. The only bench available was next to that guy, and the muzzle blast was so bad I ended up bs'ing with a buddy vs. shooting.

Muzzle brakes have been the, ah, "source" of discussion and cussing at the range from some of the stories I've heard..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Fotis
I am thinking about Magnaporting my Weatherby.
The only thing that appeals to me is not having to forget or lose the brake and even more importantly not having to add an additional 2" to the end of the already long 26" tube.

Can someone describe the advantages and disadvantages of either ?

Is recoil reduction better with either?
Get the brake. You can remove it or use it.. If you decide later to ditch it, you only lose about .4" of barrel length to cut off threads and re-crown.

Magna-port is there, permanently, and it WILL decrease the value of the rifle. Only way to remove it is to cut off a LOT of barrel or install a new one.. I've also noted that accuracy can be affected by it..

It's fine for shotguns.. It's horrible for rifles..

Here's an example of a very fine rifle that was magna-ported. The price is high enough anyway, but I guarantee you that it will never sell unless the owner wishes to take a loss of about 60% or more - simply due to that barrel:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217706894

He's asking $2995.00.. It's real market value is about $700 in this configuration... Unless he trolls long enough to find a very large fish..

+1

You had better listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by crittergetter
I don't think the blast is louder,that being said when I shoot them to make sure sighted in properly,I'll wear hearing protection.I don't when I'm hunting.
Ditto here.. The exception is if I'm hunting with a large handgun - I wear a set of Peltor Tac-6 muffs..

Bottom line - a removable brake gives you versatility. MP does not.

Brakes can be configured to reduce muzzle flip and/or to eliminate or greatly reduce dust clouds from shooting prone - which is basically the same as MP..

Personally, I favor versatility and the fact that I can eliminate the entire system losing only .400+ of barrel length vs. the MP which will cause a much, much larger loss of barrel length to eliminate..

MP is best left to shotguns and a few handguns.. My .02 is over.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, I think we can all agree it's a Chevy versus Ford discussion. And that's what makes for a good campfire ramble. (Do you want want Bud or Coors?)

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dawaba
Well, I think we can all agree it's a Chevy versus Ford discussion. And that's what makes for a good campfire ramble. (Do you want want Bud or Coors?)
LMAO.. Neither.. I want Leinies Creamy Dark.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'll take a Bud and a Chevy !!

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Fotis
I am thinking about Magnaporting my Weatherby.

Is recoil reduction better with either?

There is less recoil with either. Depending on what muzzle brake is chosen, muzzle jump can be reduced quite a bit--especially with magnaport based on my experience, but there's whole lot of muzzle brakes that I haven't tried either......

Muzzle blast is ferocious--I'm convinced magnaporting a rifle back in the 80's hurt my hearing--I will never use magnaporting or a muzzle brake again. If the rifle needs a brake, I ain't shooting it.

The best recoil reducing system out there is a Decelerator pad by Pachmayr, second best is a thick flip flop, either one fitted to stock with minimal drop at the heel.........

I disagree- the best recoil reducer is a scope with 4+ inches of eye relief!!

I have no rifles with brakes but have shot a lot of them that do and put together a number that have them- in fact, I designed one that we put on a few rifles and was quite effective and looks decent.

They work very nice if you have hearing protection in place. If not, they are the devil's curse!

I would not use a brake that has the gas ports drilled all the way around it (vais, KDF, Harrels et al) I like brakes that have to be timed. A lot of shooting that I do is prone- I don't want dust blown all over the place when I touch a shot off or try to spot for someone else who is.

I have never owned a Magna ported rifle but I have shot two. Recoil reduction is probably close to 5% but muzzle jump is all but eliminated. Might be nice touch on some rifles. It might detract from the value of a collectible rifle but so will a muzzle brake. Wouldn't be a deal killer for me if shopping.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.