Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Say what you want about A&B barrels, but the new shipment of 21" 7x57 slim contour (F14) barrels were sold out from MidwayUSA in less than 3 days. $84.99/each. I snoozed....and lost.

Murphy was a grunt.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I built a Mauser in 257 Roberts using one of their F14s. It's a nice light contour, well balanced. And, it shoots quite well.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Since small ring Mausers are pretty heavy actions, I prefer a heavier/longer barrel on my builds. I'd like to see A&B produce some 24" F34 contour barrel for the small ring Mausers.

JEff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This subject brings up a question I've had that noone has seemed to answer...allbeit some have tried.
I have heard these barrels shoot good, and sometimes very well. Which leads to the question, " if NOT for a competition or "bettin shoot", why spend many hundreds of dollars MORE on another brand of barrel? Tight groups are tight groups, arent they ? Is it so someone can boast about how much they spent/can spend? OR IS IT something about A&B Barrels that always smell like a turd ?

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by deg967
This subject brings up a question I've had that noone has seemed to answer...allbeit some have tried.
I have heard these barrels shoot good, and sometimes very well. Which leads to the question, " if NOT for a competition or "bettin shoot", why spend many hundreds of dollars MORE on another brand of barrel? Tight groups are tight groups, arent they ? Is it so someone can boast about how much they spent/can spend? OR IS IT something about A&B Barrels that always smell like a turd ?

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question directly with first-hand knowledge. A couple of guys I went through CST with used them on personal projects, although I think they chose them more for cost and availability. I have looked at using them myself but they don't quite have the caliber selection I've been in the market for. (If they ever get around to offering some 9.3mm blanks, I'd certainly give one a go.) For a hunting rifle, they should be more than adequate. You can get a "lemon" from any barrel maker.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
IC B2

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I only have one (F34 35 Whelen that I turned into an AI and cut down to 22"). It is a tackdriver with 225 SGKs over Re-12 or -15 and is suitable enough with 250s. I think I could do better with the 250s but haven't spent the time working up loads. The 225s shoot too well.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used around 20 A&B barrel from MidwayUSA. About 1/2 were short chambered Mauser barrels and, of those 10, I have had 1 barrel that wouldn't shoot. The other 1/2 were Savage specs barrels and all of them have been good, with a couple in 22-250 being exceptionally good.

JEff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i like what i am hearing as i just ordered one of these for a build i am working on.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Originally Posted by deg967

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question directly with first-hand knowledge. A couple of guys I went through CST with used them on personal projects, although I think they chose them more for cost and availability. I have looked at using them myself but they don't quite have the caliber selection I've been in the market for. (If they ever get around to offering some 9.3mm blanks, I'd certainly give one a go.) For a hunting rifle, they should be more than adequate. You can get a "lemon" from any barrel maker.

I checked into them a while back but they dont offer a .257 Roberts in Stainless for my model 70...but I will have used and blued before long..I hope

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I built a 257 AI on a Czech Mauser running an F34 contour A&B. It was finished in June of 2008 and I've logged about 1100 rounds on it. While it is a bit heavy for me, it shoots lights out with multiple loads.

It loves the 75 gr VMax, 90 gr Sierra GKHP, and 100 gr Interlocks & Speer HPs. I mean like consistent clover leaves!

Yesterday I took it out to rezero it after having the barreled receiver parkerized and a new stock put on and had one hole 3-5 shot groups with those first three bullets.

Fantastic. Say what you want about these barrels, I've loved mine. Amazing what $90 can buy!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The F34 contour is a magnum(ish) contour, but they come 24" long and there isn't any reason to leave them at 24" if you want 'em a little lighter and can tolerate a little less speed.

I have an F34 barrel in 260 that has been cut back to 20" and installed on an Interarms Mark X action with a mannlicher style stock. I also have another F34 barrel in 260 that has been installed on an Interarms Mark X action with a Remington 798 laminated stock. This 2nd rifle is HEAVIER and a little LONGER than I would prefer, but it sure does shoot good groups and I have other lighter 260 to use if the need should arise.

JEff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff-is the AB a cut or button barrel? Also, wonder why they make em in 21" but not longer, or at least that's the way I read it in the Midway manual.

Looks like one would fit my G33/40 just fine right?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mark,

I believe that they are button barrels, but I don't know for sure.

The lighter F14 contours are only cut 21" long. My 260 barrels are the magnum sporter F34 contour and they are cut 24" long. I have an 21" F14 barrel in 257 Roberts on a Swedish Mauser action and think that it is too light in the muzzle, making it butt-heavy like most 18.5" and 20" Remington 7s.

JEff

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Word is (I think it was JB who said this?) they're ER Shaw 2nds so they'd be button rifled.

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
Word is (I think it was JB who said this?) they're ER Shaw 2nds so they'd be button rifled.

Never heard this one before. Would be interesting to know for sure.

Murphy was a grunt.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have an F14 conour in 7x57 that I bought from Midway last fall. I was going to have it put on a small ring mexican 98 mauser action I had lying around but I haven't got to it yet. I've been debating on whether to use the A&B barrel or just send the action to IT&D and have him put a douglas on in the caliber of my choice. 7x57 has some nostalgia and is a great round but I love a good 260. Hmm??

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by efw

Never heard this one before. Would be interesting to know for sure.

I hadnt either. I was speaking with someone at MidWay a few months back and they told me that THEY purchased A&B and were producing the barrels now. And I believe she said the barrel factory was "next door".

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah if you google Adams & Bennett it shows up as a member of the Battenfield Technologies group w/ Caldwell, Fajen, et al.

All this discussion gave me a hankerin' for something to screw onto a PH mauser action I've had around a while... I wish A&B offered a fast twist 224 cal barrel as I've had a bug for a .224 TTH as of late.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have an F14 conour in 7x57 that I bought from Midway last fall. I was going to have it put on a small ring mexican 98 mauser action I had lying around but I haven't got to it yet. I've been debating on whether to use the A&B barrel or just send the action to IT&D and have him put a douglas on in the caliber of my choice. 7x57 has some nostalgia and is a great round but I love a good 260. Hmm??

Bb

A Mex rebarreled in its' original chamberring would be very classic, indeed. Go for it!

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I put one in a Turk Mauser, it had the thread of a small ring action, but is a 98. Can't remember the contour, but it is a light Mtn. style rifle, after sighting it in, 257 Robt AI, don't need anything else in a quater bore, that shoots as flat or accurate as it. I think some people bad mouth them because they are trying to justify spending all that money on other barrel makers and no mater how great the barrel is, most people can't shoot the rifle as good as the rifle is capable of shooting! Besides, it all depends on who puts the rifle together. Also how it is loaded for!

Semper Fi USMC/0331

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.