Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Anyone having trouble getting their mounts from "Mount'n High Taxidermy" in Colorado Springs????

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They did an antelope for me about a year and a half ago and they had it back to me in a timely fashion

Drummond

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Newguy? How long do you consider timely?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
One year four months and counting! We were promised our mount in ten months.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by campcreek66

Have you called or talked to them about it? They have been very nice and accomodating in every dealing I've had with them

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got my 09 buck back in mid Feb.......15 months but worth the wait

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

not unusual with any taxidermist I have dealt with.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...taxidermists and gunsmiths all buy their clocks at different stores from the rest of us...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
heck, i'm almost at three years on some of my stuff.... the guy does really good work so i ain't bitchin...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

campcreek66:

I live about 1/2 mile from that place and I drive past them almost ever day. I didn't know there was a taxidermist there.

If a taxidermy job takes more than a year there's something wrong because the taxidermist has to get last year's work completed so that he can get ready for this year's work. There are a lot of things that could go wrong. The hair might have slipped during the tanning process. They may have lost the cape in shipping between the taxidermist and the tannery. They may have lost your contact info or maybe the identification of the cape or antlers is lost so it might be sitting in the shop and they don't know who it belongs to. Maybe the taxidermist is a drunk and he's not getting anything done? Maybe he keeps falling farther and farther behind and he's never going to finish your mount.

I recommend that you pay them a personal visit and find out what's going and what happened. If he still hasn't completed your mount after 16 months, I recommend that you take it back, demand return of your deposit, cancel the contract and take it to Timberline Taxidermy.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anyone having trouble getting their mounts from "Mount'n High Taxidermy" in Colorado Springs????

Have you got anything else or was that it? Don't bitch until they tell you they lost your cape in the tanning vat.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like that it takes a year+ ... Gives guys like me who live paycheck to paycheck a chance to come up with the $$$$$

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

campcreek66:

I live about 1/2 mile from that place and I drive past them almost ever day. I didn't know there was a taxidermist there.

If a taxidermy job takes more than a year there's something wrong because the taxidermist has to get last year's work completed so that he can get ready for this year's work. There are a lot of things that could go wrong. The hair might have slipped during the tanning process. They may have lost the cape in shipping between the taxidermist and the tannery. They may have lost your contact info or maybe the identification of the cape or antlers is lost so it might be sitting in the shop and they don't know who it belongs to. Maybe the taxidermist is a drunk and he's not getting anything done? Maybe he keeps falling farther and farther behind and he's never going to finish your mount.

I recommend that you pay them a personal visit and find out what's going and what happened. If he still hasn't completed your mount after 16 months, I recommend that you take it back, demand return of your deposit, cancel the contract and take it to Timberline Taxidermy.

KC

Actually, taxidermists can take a while for a number of reasons. Attention to detail, not letting others do their work and really good taxidermists get quite a few heads to mount each year. There are a couple of taxidermists that I really like that can take up to two years to get mounts done.

I have only had one antelope mounted by Mount'n High Taxidermy and it was nicely done but I'm not ready to say that any of the above reasons apply to them but to say that something is wrong if it takes over a year is a stretch IMO

I would call them and see what they say

Last edited by huntsonora; 03/06/11.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I've been in contact with him on a regular basis..Phone calls, personal visit's. Seem's he has had tough time when his partner [in the business]and himself had a "fallingout".
Every time we've spoke it's "2 more weeks".
I understand stuff happens in life, I and many other people have been very patient.
He has a decent reputation and that's why I chose him...
Just don't like being "strung along" and not told the truth about just how long it will take to complete....

P
P
I left an elk hide at Mount'n High Taxidermy to be tanned hair-off Oct of 2009 and was told 6-8 months. Didn't call again until June of 2010. Was told it would be another two weeks. Called in July....another two weeks. August........another 1 1/2 to two weeks. Same story every time I called to check. Then the mail box was full and he wasn't answering his phone (good old caller ID I can only guess). Probably made 25-30 phone calls (I did keep a record). Made 4 trips down there to check on it and only found the shop open once. A couple of guys were working in the back room and gave me the same story....a couple of more weeks. Finally did some investigative work and found out that he was having some hides tanned in Iowa, did a web search and started calling. Speciality Leather Products was more than willing to work with me to get my (OWN) hide back to me. Paid them the difference to apply to MHT's account and they shipped it to me free of charge. This guy Keith is a COMPULSIVE lier and I told him so in the last conversation I had with him in the back of his shop.........this is really too bad, because his work is really outstanding.........but his lying will eventually be his downfall. Oh! one of his ex (?) employees named Ron Newman is supposedly wanted for trophy/hide theft (American/African) back in the Northeast. In the end I did get my tanned hide back (it did have a lot of sentimental value as do most trophy's)but I would not take anything else to him or recommend him for ANYTHING!

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid!"

John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by POSSOMHUNTER
I left an elk hide at Mount'n High Taxidermy to be tanned hair-off Oct of 2009 and was told 6-8 months. Didn't call again until June of 2010. Was told it would be another two weeks. Called in July....another two weeks. August........another 1 1/2 to two weeks. Same story every time I called to check. Then the mail box was full and he wasn't answering his phone (good old caller ID I can only guess). Probably made 25-30 phone calls (I did keep a record). Made 4 trips down there to check on it and only found the shop open once. A couple of guys were working in the back room and gave me the same story....a couple of more weeks. Finally did some investigative work and found out that he was having some hides tanned in Iowa, did a web search and started calling. Speciality Leather Products was more than willing to work with me to get my (OWN) hide back to me. Paid them the difference to apply to MHT's account and they shipped it to me free of charge. This guy Keith is a COMPULSIVE lier and I told him so in the last conversation I had with him in the back of his shop.........this is really too bad, because his work is really outstanding.........but his lying will eventually be his downfall. Oh! one of his ex (?) employees named Ron Newman is supposedly wanted for trophy/hide theft (American/African) back in the Northeast. In the end I did get my tanned hide back (it did have a lot of sentimental value as do most trophy's)but I would not take anything else to him or recommend him for ANYTHING!

Its VERY interesting to me when you get a few first time posters coming on and taking someone to task. Doesnt look very credible at all. I'm not saying you dont have legitimate complaints, it just looks fishy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Its VERY interesting to me when you get a few first time posters coming on and taking someone to task. Doesnt look very credible at all. I'm not saying you dont have legitimate complaints, it just looks fishy

My same thought... I won't really put any value on this sort of opinion until someone with a reputation here has something to say...

Andrew
P
P
Does twenty one years as a volunteer Hunter Education Instructor (Master Level)for the Colorado Division of Wildlife or an National Rifle Association Life member Certified to teach "Personal Protection" and "Pistol" carry any "credibility" ?? If you choose to take your trophy there; Don't say you weren't told about the problems!!

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid!"

John Wayne
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Since this place is located close to where I live and since I know several people in the local hunting community, I have been asking around some. Take all of this as rumor because all I have is the word of a couple of people who claim to be "in the know" regarding what's going on at Mount'n High Taxidermy. It's just their word but they say that the guy at Mount'n High Taxidermy spent all the money that he received for deposits before he bought the forms. He has a bunch of capes back from the tannery but now he doesn't have enough money to buy the forms and all the capes are just sitting in his shop. He can't complete the work and he's not going to be able to return the deposits since he has spent the money.

It's a bad deal all around. A lot of people may lose their deposits and not get their taxidermy work completed. A classic case of bad management.

This whole thing could end up in court. If it were me, I would get my cape and antlers before they are confiscated by the court as evidence. I would take them somewhere else. Maybe have to kiss the deposit goodbye but at least I would eventually get my mount.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does twenty one years as a volunteer Hunter Education Instructor (Master Level)for the Colorado Division of Wildlife or an National Rifle Association Life member Certified to teach "Personal Protection" and "Pistol" carry any "credibility" ?? If you choose to take your trophy there; Don't say you weren't told about the problems!!

You can be anything you want, its the internet. You could be an "Astronaut" or a "Rocket Scientist" for all we know, or you could just be somebody with an axe to grind. The fact is, nobody knows because your only 2 posts on this forum were to try to dissuade people from taking their animals to one particular taxidermist. Maybe your a competitor? The point I'm trying to make is that its suspicious when a bunch of first time posters show up on a particular thread thats unflattering to a person or business. Thats the point I'm trying to make Peter Pan

Drummond

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.