24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive seen it done with many pistols including a HK USP 45 acp. The loads in that were reloads however. Glocks are more prolific than most other brands therefore incident rate will be higher in my opinion. Glad your friend is okay and hopefully it will get resolved. Esox357.

BP-B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KuduBull
Glocks are crap, they should be able to stand up to over charged cases, the old weak Federal cases and inexperienced handloaders.

Here is a photo I got today from my father in law. Apparently from Chinese factory loads.?? Glocks are not the only guns that blow up with bad ammo.

[Linked Image]

Much easier to determine if the ammo over load or an obstruction in the bore is the cause of a revolver blowing up for a couple of reasons.

1- the chamber fully supports the case
2- a revolver will not fire out of battery
3- a revolver action will not open too quickly

All 3 of the above can lead to a KaBoom in a semi auto

Last edited by jwp475; 02/16/11.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Maybe YOU could enlighten the rest of us as to which 40 S&W pistol YOU would guarantee that would have held up better under this circumstance?

Just to add fuel to the fire, HS Arms (manufacturers of the XD line of pistols) has run a number of Glock-like torture tests on their pistols. One of the tests involved intentionally squibbing a .45 ACP round and then firing another round behind it. The pistol held up so they did it again. The pistol held up again. Apparently the pistol functioned just fine, but barrel measurements indicated a slight bulge.

a couple of years ago my grandson was not listening to my advice about reloads in a springfield xd .45acp. I was there with him when it happened. He was in rapid fire, had a light load which produced a squibb, bullet lodged in the barrel, then fired another round.
it cracked the barrel and jammed up the gun. It was returned to springfield, and new barrel dropped in and that was it. Very strong gun.
Now i did the same thing a couple of years ago on a glock 23. Blew out the front part of the slide, and cracked the barrel. I replaced the slide and barrel and it runs fine. This by the way was with a aftermarket barrel.
There are some design items with a glock .40, just like there are with every pistol. You need to be aware of them. among others: They are loose chambered intentionally, and the six o'clock position on unsupported brass. Other pistols have this distinction too.
the .40 is susceptable to bullet setback and increased pressures if looses crimped.
They have to be cleaned, the square rear of the barrel is susceptable to material buildup and they in some cases if not fully locked up can fire out of battery.
I like to call a glock a gun i love to hate except they do work AS designed.
The key element is to pay attention to the phrase AS DESIGNED.
I have fired a 23 basically since the year they were first introduced with all kinds of ammo, and with the one exception of a squibb load due to my stupidity they have worked fine.
I also know a guy that blew a glock due to a for certain overcharged round. It looked just like the pictures, and in that sense i think the glock worked, the guy did NOT suffer any injuries. I might add i have fired thousands of rounds of lead bullets through glocks, but i did switch out to after market barrels. The main problem i have with a glock is stupid people.
such as not clearing the chamber before you pull the trigger to get takedown of the slide.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/17/11.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by KuduBull
Glocks are crap, they should be able to stand up to over charged cases, the old weak Federal cases and inexperienced handloaders.

Here is a photo I got today from my father in law. Apparently from Chinese factory loads.?? Glocks are not the only guns that blow up with bad ammo.

[Linked Image]

Much easier to determine if the ammo over load or an obstruction in the bore is the cause of a revolver blowing up for a couple of reasons.

1- the chamber fully supports the case
2- a revolver will not fire out of battery
3- a revolver action will not open too quickly

All 3 of the above can lead to a KaBoom in a semi auto

absolute worthy post

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The pic of that blown up smith is really somthing.
Just curious how the other rounds in the cylinder,(the ones not in front of the firing pin)went off?
Would the top round exploding like that have enough ommph to set off the primers in the other chambers? The only other thing I can think of that might do that would be excessive heat, but thats not likely. Puzzled.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Interesting dialogue.
I did my research before buying my Glock 17 gen 3.
The Glock does indeed have "slightly" more of an unsupported chamber... has a little more slop in the chamber compared to a match chamber... not supposed to fire lead rounds in the polygonal bore... not supposed to use reloads... Some 40's in Glocks apparently have a higher percent of kabooms than the original 9mm... So guess what I did?
I bought a 9mm, I shoot no reloads, I shoot jacketed rounds, and I know for sure that I am shooting a "mix" (gun/round) that will load, and load, and load, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot, for as long as I want to pull the trigger... the 9mm Glock is a sewing machine of dependability...
I also have long-guns I reload, both 30-06 and 375h&h... I stay within the limitations of the rifle and if I ever want to shoot a hotter load, I'll get a bigger rifle... boring, huh?
Reading all the kaboom diatribe tells me that some folks want to push the envelope and not do what Glock recommends, then complain about the weapon... let's see.... I wonder if I can put another 20 grains of 4350 in my 06', and I wonder if it will hold up???? What do you think?

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im sure that there have been quality control issues during this wave of mass produced ammo craze. The odds of this being an ammo problem is probably pretty good. Whether its over, double, triple loaded is irrelevant. I own many different handguns and none have blown up Glock 35 and 21 included. I have had a 1911 go full auto when a friend of mine shot it and blame near shot me in the head. But, the 1911 is still my favorite handgun. These type of things always end up in a pi$$ing match between guns and owners. There have been all types of failures in all types of guns and will be until the end of time. Did we all discard our Remmy 700's because they go possessed and fire whenever they want? I doubt it. Arguing over experience handloading and shooting or who has the biggest set of dies or loading press and/or whatever else accomplishes nothing. But it makes for a helluva lot of interesting reading...

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
geez

I wish you would tell us what type of ammo.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
of recent i know that federal recently had the wrong powder get into cases.i posted with lot numbers here is link to that post federal ammo recall

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think two different things are being discussed here. One is definitely over pressure rounds causing the chamber area of the barrel to let go and I think everyone will agree that if this happens in any handgun it will have the same results. Totally the fault of the ammo.

The other problem is from split brass letting the gases blow out the mag and frame area. Some believe it is due to the supposed "unsupported" Glock chambers and others due to firing out of battery or possibly bad brass either straight from the factory or worn out reloaded brass.

I used to have access to brass fired from several hundred Glocks from police qualifications. I have a hard time with the unsupported chamber idea, especially when you place a round in a chamber and look at where the web is on the case.

As for firing out of battery keep the firing pin channel clean to keep it from getting stuck while protruding out the breech face. Keep the chamber clean to prevent partial seating.

One big culprit that I don't see mentioned is don't keep unloading and loading the top round as it gradually allows the bullet to be seated deeper and deeper running up pressures quickly. Possibly why the .40 guns with their higher pressures seem to usually be the ones blamed for letting go.

If something else is to blame I'd like to know.

Now for a real controversy, lead bullets don't hurt Glocks.

Last edited by stray round; 03/02/11. Reason: Fat fingers and slow mind causing errors
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
srws -

A few years back I had a Tangfolio .40 blow up in my hand. Checker wood grips stamp the checkering in my hand. The slide was bent and the barrel was blown.

I was firing a box of 20 rounds of FACTORY ammo.

The dealer, a friend, took the gun back and dealt with the companies involved to recover his $$.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'll bet that if you will pull the bullets from 2 factory loaded cartridges and the try to pour all of the powder into 1 case it ain't going to fit and leave room to seat the bullet

THER IS NO PROOF OF A DOUBLE CHARGE THE LOAD WAS A FACTORY LOAD

you are right i have no proof it was a over charge,as far as a double charge fitting in one casing,you are wrong. with only 5.6grns in the casing a double will fit .

just to update you all

ammo company has refunded the money for ammo,and said they wanted to do the right thing with the gun and they were waiting to hear from glock.

i called glock on friday 3/11 and they can't seem to locate my gun . i have checked with ups ,glock did recieve it ,it was signed for. so now all i can do is hope they find it.

Last edited by srwshooter; 03/12/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tbear99
of recent i know that federal recently had the wrong powder get into cases.i posted with lot numbers here is link to that post federal ammo recall

and a big THANK YOU for doing so!

opened the link, but hadn't had time till today to check my .45 auto ammo

sure enough, I've got a 250 value pak, with one of the lot numbers

you have my sincere appreciation and gratitude for sharing this info with your fellow shooters.

who knows what you may have possibly helped me avoid?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 72 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.