Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Hello everyone, I found a Norinco M14 that a friend is selling. Has anyone used one of these or know if they have any problems. Or are they a good rifle.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most folks that own a Norinco like them. They seem to be an almost exact copy.
I have heard that the bolt is suspect, with heat treat that is not up to par. I now that is a part that many people replace.
If the price is right, I'd get it.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would not own one. I value my life too much. Springfield is where you look if you want an M1A.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What is your reason for not wanting one?

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I wonder if the bolt heat treating issue has been taken care of in the newer models? We can still buy them new here in Canada and at the price of $400 I've considered getting one,just for fun. Looks like I might have to do a little research before buying.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i bought one of them when they first started showing up in this country. I later bought a springfield m1a for various reasons.
supposedly, norinco used pretty good metal in building them, such as railway steel. The weak spot was the temper of the bolt which can be addressed by various companies or replacement.
I don't remember for sure now, but another issue i seem to remember was the barrel was crimped in rather than screwed in.
I do know that people that have addressed their issues seem satisfied with them.
I used one at the time to shoot a c.m.p. qualification shoot back when you had to do that to get a garand, and it ran fine.
here is an article at the bottom by clint of fulton armory talking about the chinese rifle. I think it sums it up.
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2b161.html

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/12/11.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolute garbage. I have a good friend who owned a sizable gun shop outside of Camp LeJeune and he had to refund a bunch of money because of quality issues with them. brittle metal, out of round chambers and something with the bolts. Come on guys, it's CHINESE for chrissake.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mattsnyder
What is your reason for not wanting one?

Yo, I'm not Rost,....but BOTH of us are "Lay Dwn on yer' Belly for 88 Rounds types.

In NRA Highpower, and Service Rifle ,....these "Systems" are put through a more grueling series of tests , then "Line issued Ordnance"

Norinco "Knock offs"?

BLOWING UP "occasionally" , ....might be a GOOD place to start, in terms of a good straight up answer.

Hey,...it's your face.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Springfield guy here wouldn't own a Norinco POS.

NRA Lifetime Member
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Chinese SKS?

Sure.

M14? I don't think so...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Springfield guy here wouldn't own a Norinco POS.

My marginally "tuned" Scout is one of the more accurate "Battle Rifles" I've known.

Wait,....I'm a vertically challenged midget,....WTF would I KNOW about battle rifles ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
like i said, i went other ways than keeping the norinco. Having said that, smith enterprises here in phoenix which probably makes one of the better sight bases for the m14 including work for the government at one time was redoing the bolts etc and felt comfortable enough doing that.
As to norinco, their 1911A1 which i have one of was and is a well made 1911 and often used in buildups. Mine is now being used as a .460roland with no issues. And yes, i have match tuned gold cups too

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as to the chinese thing, they are making right or wrong a LOT of stuff sold in the country.
Last year i bought a computer through sams club that when i got is was put together there, my verizon broadband air card came from south korea.
come to think of it, i opened a box of toothpicks last week and guess what, made in china.
I use to hear that when i was a young guy about cars made in japan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the NORINCO M14 clones have been around many years. Asking here about them is evidently not going to get you any real info.

Take the question over to http://m14tfl.com/ where at least the folks posting have accurate info on M 14 issues.

Sam......

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
They may be fine, but given that we're criticizing GM and Chrysler for taking tax money, I'm not sure I'd be giving my money to a company owned by the Chinese military. If I were to buy an M14/M1A-type rifle (and I won't until California's high-cap mag law change, since I can't take full advantage of any edge it gives me over a Garand), I'd probably go with Springfield or Fulton Armory.

Murphy was an optimist.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.