24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because we do not know how much, if any, freebore there is in the throat area nor the other dimensions we need to be more precise I would start with 75.0Gr of 7828SSC and go up from there one grain at a time. I would suspect that you will end up in the low to mid 80's for a final charge but no way to know without starting at 75 and chrono'ing as you go up. Again, once you hit 3200fps, STOP. That case size will not be able to produce higher numbers than that without running way high pressure EVEN IF you do not see any evidence of high pressure such as flattened primers, Shiny spots on the cartridge case head or sticky extraction. IF you see any of these signs or if the velocities are not going up in a smooth non parabolic curve then stop right there and back off at least one full grain of powder. Even if you need to stop at 3100, that is faster than than a 300 Win MAg and a DEADLY combo.

Lastly, there is a co out there that makes red recoil pads to fit your rifle that say Winchester on them. This would be a nice added touch on this truly fantastic rifle of yours. LONG LIVE THE 300 COULTER MAGNUM!! smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
BP-B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks a million, your knowledge is really helpful man! With the great guy I'm learning to reload with, I'm sure some really sweet loads will get worked up! I'm a teenager, if you haven't been able to notice, and though I'm millions of years behind all you old savs as far as knowledge goes, I feel blessed to have this gun, and folks whom I don't even know help so much and have such positive things to say about it. I'll keep bumping this, just for the feedback, positive or negative. I'll also be posting some videos of me and my new appendage in action, with the loads we work up! Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a Grand Old rifle you have there.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Handsome looking rifle you have there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Thanks a million, your knowledge is really helpful man! With the great guy I'm learning to reload with, I'm sure some really sweet loads will get worked up! I'm a teenager, if you haven't been able to notice, and though I'm millions of years behind all you old savs as far as knowledge goes, I feel blessed to have this gun, and folks whom I don't even know help so much and have such positive things to say about it. I'll keep bumping this, just for the feedback, positive or negative. I'll also be posting some videos of me and my new appendage in action, with the loads we work up! Thanks!

A teenager, eh? OH NO! I have been contributing to the deliquency and afflictions of a minor! You shoulda told us that before! Sell the gun and spend the money on girls, QUICKLIKE! Trust me, they are a MUCH less expensive addiction. Other benefits as well, but not for this site....... smile

Yeah, you saw it here, girls are better than guns.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haha, I'm thinkin' that I've got girls figured out about as well as I'll ever be able to, so some time and money on guns and reloading will serve me much better in the long run. Again, thanks for the help.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tanner haha.....good to have girls figured out at a young age. I've a pre like yours cept' it is in the HH AI chamber. Don't know when it was rechambered either, I picked it up last fall and have not done a whole lot of reloading with it yet. But it is one heck of rifle,enjoy and tell some good tales of the hunt down the road!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Chandaler, where'd you pick your gun up? If you don't mind me asking.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Haha, I'm thinkin' that I've got girls figured out about as well as I'll ever be able to, so some time and money on guns and reloading will serve me much better in the long run. Again, thanks for the help.

Tanner, it's good to realize that you know as much now about girls

as you'll ever know; females are all certifiably insane, and

they're anything BUT predictable. Good for you!

That rifle on the other hand is a real treasure.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MagnumDood, right you are. I found one little lady that I think I can convert into a gun-nut, and that's all I need.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner, if you have, hang on tight! There are few enough men that take up the martial arts;

women who are intensely interested in firearms are as plentiful as 4-leaf clovers.

I�ve been looking for a 4-leaf clover all my life and have never found one, but I

married a beautiful woman who is also loves the outdoors, she hunts and she is one

helluva good shot on game.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well if she's a great shot, then all you have to worry about is acquiring enough rifles for "her" to shoot! Better spend good money on your ladies rifles... Wouldn't want her to run short of something to throw lead with...;) Maybe she'll even let YOU shoot 'em, eh?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice gun Tanner. Treasure it. You may eventually buy another rifle down the road, but none will ever provide the memory of your Grandfather like that one. Great rifle, great cartridge.

Now, go forth and hunt!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tanner,

I inherited a pre-64 Model 70 from my father and my grandfather, both are in 30-06.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Chandaler, where'd you pick your gun up? If you don't mind me asking.

from a fella over at the AR forums/classifieds last fall.....serial# from 1956 yr., bout as mint as you can get for 1100 bucks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To TannerGun:

If you want to know, there is a very simple way of determining how much free bore you have. In my opinion, you need to know this when you are developing a load for a cartridge you are not sure what it is.

Take a fired case, just barely size the mouth, enough to start a bullet by hand, and it stays in the case.

Seat the bullet in the case, point first, enough to hold it in. Chamber the dummy round, with the bullet seated backwards, closing the bolt all the way.

Carefully extract the dummy round, and the amount the base of the bullet sticks out of the case mouth is your freebore. Use a flat base bullet. The base of the bullet stops against the origin or the rifling, and the case pushes up on the bullet.

As far as I know, freebore, or as it is also known, throating, is an inexact science. If the bullet protrudes about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch, I would not consider it freebored, but as having a normal throat. 1/2 inch or longer, I would consider it freebored. Over 5/16 but less than 1/2 inch, well mayby, but watch carefully when you are approaching max. loads.

I know from experience that a short throat, or no throat at all can raise pressures hugely, even with mild loads.

If you can get ahold of a fired .300 Wby. visually compare it to your fired case, then compare the volume. If both are the same, then it is probably a .300 Wby. Many M70s in .300 H&H were rechambered to .300 Wby., some by Weatherby himself.

Another word of caution--if it is a .300 Wby., but NO freebore, then do not use the max. loads suggested in manuals for this cartridge, nor would I use Wby. factory loads.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that info. No 300 Weatherby has been fired through this gun, as far as I know. We've fired a pretty simple process: 1) Fireform 300 H&H 2)Reload 3)Hunt 4)Enjoy delicious meat smile

Just by looking at 300 Wby casing, I think it's evident that our said Coulter Magnum is pretty different. It doesn't have the double radius shoulder, and I do believe the neck is longer. But that could just be my small experience talking! I'll have to do this process know my amount of free-bore. I'd like to get some hot loads going.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Chandaler,

51-56, I've heard, are some of the best M70s ever made. Nice find!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My pre 64 (now a 257WBY) is a '52, I would tend to agree!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tanner....it is a beauty for sure....enjoy yours and share the hunt(s) with us down the road as u use it. cheers!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.