-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A buddy of mine bought an Austin Healey while he was in collage. Once when he could get it home (gravel road with loose gravel hump in middle) he told me to take it for a spin. I got in finally, and then I could not move my foot enough to use the clutch. I was way too tall for that thing. smirk miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
(If you had extra Lucas electrical parts in the trunk!).

Had a Lucas electrical syatem om an "Indian Brave" motorcycle back in the 50s. Hit a few bumps or pass through a patch of fog and the light bulbs burned out. Don't know if Lucas was knighted or not, but we referred to him as "Sir Edmund Lucas" the Prince of Darkness.

Last edited by Kojac; 03/15/11. Reason: correction

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If I had a choice over the Muskrat, the Healey, or the equivelant in Savage rifles, God help me but I would take the Healey.

That is downright un-American. grin And I am not talking about the Healey or the Mustang. Give me the Savages.

Last edited by diamondjim; 03/15/11.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think this is what is referred to as thread drift!
It is a wise desicion, in my opinion, to keep the rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pparker1213, the 99F that you have was the 1920's/1930's version of 99F. Originally there was an 1899F, which was a saddle ring carbine. Then your version of the 99F which was a featherweight takedown. Then later there was a 1950's/1960's 99F which was a solid frame featherweight, which looked nothing like yours.

If you look in the Misc. Good Info thread at the top of this forum you can find how to send for a letter from the Savage historian. Run you $25 or $30 and take probably 6 weeks, be a nice addition.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
his barrel looks like 22"?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
In a perfect world, one would drive to the range, or go hunting, or to a Fest in a Healey 100-4 LeMans, with a trunk load of Savage rifles. [If you're thinking that hunting deer via a Healey is absurd, I did for quite a few years. Just cram the critter in the boot along with the spare generator, starter, belts and hoses that I didn't go anywhere without, close the lid halfway with a bungee chord and make a dash for home. God, the looks I got from other motorists! (I always took care to make sure the antlered head was staring out at them! Some would wave and give me a thumb's up, others saluted with a different finger.)]

I actually have my great-grandfather's Model A Ford which he bought new in 1930, in about 1/3 restored condition. Hopefully one day I'll go hunting in it and pose in front of it with a dead deer lashed to a fender, holding a 99, and wearing my Pop's Woolrich suit! To ensure induction into Grogels photo collection, I'll be sure to wear a funny hat too!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An old joke about Lucas.

Q.Why do the Brits drink their beer warm?

A. Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ah yes. Classic cars, classic rifles, classic shotguns, and classic memories. Life is good.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I skrunched up a couple of those losten-healy,prince of darkness cars in the junkyard last year put a smile on my face as i did it!!!!! !!!! had a buddy killed on a british indian scout years ago, lights out by Lucas !!!! mad mad Don

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love these " thread drifts "

Gnoahhh, hope i'm still around to see the photo's of the A model with a deer lashed to it, you leaning against the front with a 99 in 22 h.p in your hands

Johno

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Don! Tell me you didn't! Worth a heckuva lot more to a collector than as scrap metal! Kind of like melting down Savages and Marlins for their scrap value. (I can understand though if they're connected to the loss of a friend.)

Johno, maybe I'll prop the deer up in the rumble seat, with a silly hat on it's head!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gary, yup scrunched them right up ,they didnt look very big after the grapple got them, one of them had a bunch of spare parts in the trunk !!! my boss said junk um !! smile the only good things to come out of limey land was Vincent motorcycles and J.A.P. engines !!! grin Don

P
OP Offline
P
I measured the barrel and it is 22". Does that mean anything besides it is 22"?
Any thoughts on where I could get an original rear open sight?

Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch ebay for a sight....or check w/some of the folks here. Lightfoot may have one. They do show up occasionally. Watch for a nice one. Until then....just roll with it. Thats a real functionable sight on there now. Highly preferred over the rear open sight....by old farts with poor eyesight.
Like me.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

P
OP Offline
P
There is a sight on Ebay now but I have no idea if it would fit my gun or how they attach. There is still a piece of metal on the gun from the old sight and it looks like the sight would slide under it somehow.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got a couple left with the cute little elevator with the setscrew in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That thing thats in there now is called a 'sight blank'
Go with Lightfoot. He'll treat ya right. Tell him you want a 'minty' one. Price is secondary. wink

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd prefer to have the peep sight. I don't think you'll be increasing it's value by any great measure by swapping sights. What's probably there now is just a filler for the dovetail the sight goes in.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Loggah
the only good things to come out of limey land was Vincent motorcycles and J.A.P. engines !!! grin Don

Ah yes the Vincent Black Shadow. Makes me wonder now if it wasn't named after Lucas's shadow. Good bike though.

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,274 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.